What New Channels Are Mandatory for You/Your Family?

Vicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Rocklin, CA--near Sacramento
I'd like to harness everybody's wish lists in one convenient place and post a poll on channel requests. There has already been considerable discussion in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56534, regarding what "woulda, coulda', shoulda'" been added in the way of new channels. That thread started in order to discuss what VoOm is currently planning to add, and it would be nice if it could be continued to discuss the new additions as they come so that people who are not currently subscribers could see things change as and if they do change.

Those of you who didn't see what you want on the list or have needs (re: channels only, please) that must be met before you and/or your family will stay with or subscribe to VoOm, why not put them here, rather than in that thread and sprinkled throughout other threads?

If we can get a good thread in one place, a poll can be formed that might more readily get the attention of VoOm. I'll also add a voting space for whether you'd still not switch or stay until the DVR is released, regardless of what channels are available, as well as those are satisfied at present with the offerings and don't currently have requests.

Please specify if the channels are HD or SD, and get real specific for me on the sports channels, because I probably am not familiar with them! :)

I'm sure that in some cases, contractual considerations may prevent addition of some channels (at least in the immediate future), but put it on the wishlist anyway, but please note any contractual limitations you are aware of.

For those who argue SD vs HD, this would be a good place to state your positions on other factors that relate to bandwidth and PQ issues that you feel are important to VoOm's continued struggle to be the HDTV provider of choice.

This would include arguments as to what VoOm has to do to NOW win that struggle (in the area of programming), whether you think it is "reach Joe & Jane Six-pack" or strive for HD "perfection" (they have already won the quantitiy issue, IMHO, whether or not you agree with the content factor), or somewhere in between.

Newcomers to this forum may or may not fully understand how the technicalities affects such things.

If you wonder why I don't just gather the info for a poll from the other thread, it's because it's already six pages long and has long ago gone off topic in more directions that you can shake a stick at. I don't currently have enough time to comb back through it. :no

Thanks, if you choose to participate. Fire at will!!
brik5.gif

...Just try not to shoot my head off...if you think this is a lousy thread! :D Vicki

I would love to see these added....

--ESPN2 HD
--HDNET
--HDNET MOVIES
--NFL HD
--NBA HD
--Outdoor HD

HD Channels

I would like to see any HD channels it doesn't matter to me so Voom please add some HD channels soon. :D

FOX SPORTS WEST!!!!! :) The other channels mentioned would be nice too but my number 1 is FSW. Fox Sports Regional is a sports channel that broadcasts your local teams home games. I happened to live in Southern California so mine is called Fox Sports West.

To be honest Vicki, I have about everything I want. (Minus the DVR)
Off the top of my head Sundance Channel, VH1 Classic and MTV2 are the only ones not currently carried that I would ever watch.

I'll edit my original post to request info on whether it is and HD channel or SD. I've starting a running list, and will post a poll with the tally that each channel was mentioned, then ask people to vote for their top 3 or 5. (Suggestions welcomed for the number of votes to allow). :confused: Does that sound reasonable (considering the fact that VoOm may or may not have to do additions in incremental steps)?

I'm not a techie, :eek: so I've largely skipped the info on whether or not it's actually feasible to have everything up and running at once.

I'm also not a sports fan, :eek: so freezetime, is Fox Sports West just the only regional sports channel for your area, or do they also have East, North and South? Is Fox Sports the only RSN there is period, or are there others suppliers? (Sorry to be so dumb...just trying to cover as many bases as I can to try to come up with a balanced picture.) :eek:

Thanks, Vicki

"I'm also not a sports fan, so freezetime, is Fox Sports West just the only regional sports channel for your area, or do they also have East, North and South? Is Fox Sports the only RSN there is period, or are there others suppliers? (Sorry to be so dumb...just trying to cover as many bases as I can to try to come up with a balanced picture.)"

Fox Sports West is the ONLY channel that covers most, if not all, Lakers and Angels home games. Here is every single Fox Sports Regional Network

FOX Sports Arizona, FOX Sports Bay Area, FOX Sports Chicago, FOX Sports Detroit, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports New England, FOX Sports New York, FOX Sports North, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, FOX Sports South,
FOX Sports Southwest, FOX Sports West, FOX Sports West 2, Fox Sports Digital Atlantic, Fox Sports Digital Central, Fox Sports Digital Pacific.

As you can see from this list my Fox Sports Region has 2 Fox Sports West. FSW 2 broadcasts Dodger home games and Clipper homegames. I am not asking VOOM to add every single FSRN to every single customer. Only what channel is their regional in their certain area. FSW also broadcasts in HD but I'm not sure if it's for certain games because I have not add it since I switched to VOOM. You live in Sac, Northern Cali so you would have Fox Sports Bay area im sure. So as a sports fan, like many on this board, you can see why Fox Sports is so important. Especially when baseball season starts in April. ESPN2HD also broadcasts lots of baseball games so that channel would be awesome too.

vurbano said:
HDnet, fulfill the promises Voom first made on their original flyers.
It was actually INHD on the original brochure. I don't think HDNet was ever promised. I am looking at that brochure right now.

Personally, I would like to have either. Also HD PPV for latest movies! The more HD the better!

On SD side, the only channels I miss are FoxSports-Cleveland (RSN) and GolTV

But really nothing I can't live without. Just a wish list...

freezetime...I'm beginning to get the picture on the sports RSNs...but is Fox the only one with RSNs, or will others be saying, I want my RSNs, and not necessarily mean Fox? I'm looking for a way to include all the sports fans, wherever they are?

Those of you who are more experienced may know better than I, whether it is realistic to try to include them under one banner or not. Will just RSNs be adequate, does it need to be Fox RSNs (all), Somebody Else RSNs (all), or how best to put it in the poll a few days from now?

Thanks, Vicki

Just more HD. If it comes in HD, Voom should carry it. Voom=HD.
It seems for many in smaller secondary markets offering the major OTA "Networks" HD feeds would bring a level of comfort for attracting new subscribers. And to state the obvious the whole house HDVR.

More HD, More HD, and More HD

HDNet
HDNet Movies
ESPN 2HD
Outdoor HD
INHD1
INHD2

Sundance

Ilya said:
It was actually INHD on the original brochure. I don't think HDNet was ever promised. I am looking at that brochure right now.

Personally, I would like to have either. Also HD PPV for latest movies! The more HD the better!

On SD side, the only channels I miss are FoxSports-Cleveland (RSN) and GolTV

But really nothing I can't live without. Just a wish list...

sorry, after so long ive forgotten.

Vicki - NESN = New England Sport Network. It carries the Red Sox and Bruins games in HD, so it obviously a RSN but has nothing to do with Fox. The Fox affiliate in Boston carries very little local sports, just an occasional baseball game.

Vicki,
Anything that doesn't have those stupid idiotic commercials every few minutes, & the more you get into a program the closer & longer the commercials are.

Vicki said:
freezetime...I'm beginning to get the picture on the sports RSNs...but is Fox the only one with RSNs, or will others be saying, I want my RSNs, and not necessarily mean Fox? I'm looking for a way to include all the sports fans, wherever they are?

Thanks, Vicki

NESN-HD for the NewEngland Redsox fans over 140 games this season in HD. Plus hockey from NHL to college.
I talk to them and they said they would happy if Voom picked them up.
Also:
ESPN2-HD
ESPN Desportes SD
HDnet
FoxSportsNE-can wait on this since basketball season is almost over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)