Any Info on What New Channels are Coming in March?

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
Hi All,

I am looking to dump E* and give Voom a shot. However, the concern for me is not with the current Voom HD lineup but rather their current SD lineup. The family will revolt if I were to lose some of the kids and educational channels like Noggin, Science, Disney West, various PBS channels, etc. I can get the Networks OTA.

While the new channels might not actually be available before March I hope that Voom will soon release some info on what is coming. Either that or perhaps someone on the list has some inside scoop.

Cheers.

The only officially announced channels so far are DIY, FINE LIVING and Great American Country. Though many expect to see Rainbow-owned Regional Sports Networks too.

VOOM was burned in the past by announcing upcoming channels too early. They now only announce channels when the contracts are finalized - which in many cases means at the last moment... ;)

Let's see what happens at the CES show this week... perhaps we'll hear some news or at least rumors...

So all these new channels are going on a satellite that does or doesn't exist. Is it an AMC sat up their that they've just given a new name for? Either way if I were to get installed in February would that mean they'd be coming back in march a month later to switch me out for a new dish?

BFG, I may read your message the wrong way, but there is no doubt the satellite exists. It's AMC-6. The plans how to move forward with dual satellites is not known for customers. (I am sure they have a plan, we just don't know it) This is not different as when E* put programming on multiple satellites the first time. So, why this negativity?

BFG said:
So all these new channels are going on a satellite that does or doesn't exist. Is it an AMC sat up their that they've just given a new name for? Either way if I were to get installed in February would that mean they'd be coming back in march a month later to switch me out for a new dish?

From what I understand the programming packages as we have them now,Voom and VaVaVoom will remain on the present sat. A new tier of packages will be assembled that will necessitate the extra dish or a one dish 2 sat solution in order to view the new channels .

My guess is the new programing packages will be sports and network locals along with some pay per view. Some will want it, some can live without the new channels and the extra programing cost. The decision and extra cost will be up to the viewer. The dish will be installed at no cost to the subscriber if he/she wants and pays for the extra programing.

New Channels

* BBC America
* CMT
* CNN International
* Discovery Home
* Discovery Kids
* Discovery Times
* DIY - Do It Yourself Network
* FINE LIVING
* Fox Movie Channel
* FSN Bay Area
* FSN New England
* FSN New York
* FSN Ohio
* GAC - Great American Country
* History International
* Military Channel
* MSG Network
* National Geographic Channel
* Reality 24-7
* Sunshine Network
* Superstation WGN
* The Science Channel
* Turner South
:D

BFG said:
So all these new channels are going on a satellite that does or doesn't exist. Is it an AMC sat up their that they've just given a new name for? [\QUOTE]

Yes leases on the existing AMC sat began in October 2003. Voom does not "own" it, they have just began calling it Rainbow2. Beats me what has taken so long. Voom is wasting 5 months waiting until March.

I Hope they add all the fox sports channels. I need fox sports arizona and am still keeping another service that offers it. but it is getting old paying for two services, too much $$$. Voom needs to get their act in gear and quick. I love the HD service, but my cable company is coming on strong and i like the free VOD from E* in march.

SonicRob said:
* BBC America
* CMT
* CNN International
* Discovery Home
* Discovery Kids
* Discovery Times
* DIY - Do It Yourself Network
* FINE LIVING
* Fox Movie Channel
* FSN Bay Area
* FSN New England
* FSN New York
* FSN Ohio
* GAC - Great American Country
* History International
* Military Channel
* MSG Network
* National Geographic Channel
* Reality 24-7
* Sunshine Network
* Superstation WGN
* The Science Channel
* Turner South
:D

This has to be only a partial list. The same news release that gave these channels also said that the HD channels could increase from 39 to 71 and the total number of channels could increase from 130 to 335 channels. It should be another interesting (and frustrating) year for us VOOM subscribers.

Call me Mr. Negative and I hope Im wrong but I would be shocked to see 71 HD ch's by March. Like I said I hope Im wrong about that.

vinnyv07 said:
Call me Mr. Negative and I hope Im wrong but I would be shocked to see 71 HD ch's by March. Like I said I hope Im wrong about that.

I asked this specific question and the voom rep said they wont add 70 full channels in march (just have the capacity for future stuff) in march. Personally I hope they add 10-15 channels to get us current. And save the tp space for future channels that havent been announced yet. I dont think we want to be stuck with 70 channels for a while (until new sat goes up)

I'm hoping against hope but if they still haven't decided how to wire the boxes together (coax, ethernet) how are they going to train installers and deploy systems by March?

I think the most we can hope for is limited rollout for select customers. Now who would THOSE be? :)

Partial List

i agree these has to be a partial list at the CES they announced the above channels but they did not say anything about the HD Channels so they must be adding more in march we could only wait and see. :D

well all the fsn channels and msg offer the home teams games in hd. but will voom brodcast them in hd and will we be able to get it and will there be blackout restrictions. i hope not i love the knicks :D

I think we would see a lot more Dish Network and DirecTv subscribers show more interest in VoOm if they would add more of the basic channels and HD televisions get into more homes. Locals are an issue though for those that cannot pick it up OTA for those markets that VoOm will not be able to offer it in.

Subs

i wonder how many subs Voom has with there new promotion i am going to be a sub in feburary. Voom should have a comercial in the Super Bowl that will really help them allot. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)