What booster to get

chef-Patrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hi,
I just got my OTA antenna installed today, they installed the big one. I was not here at the time so I am not sure of model and specific. I looks like a giant spider.

I live in a heavilly wooded area, nice to live in, sucky for OTA, but luckily enough there is a whole big enough for VOOM :) . The tech said that I would need a booster to get a proper signal. So my questions is what kind of a booster should I get?

Thanks for your help
Patrick

I use the one from Radio Shack Its a 2 piece unit the reciever mounts 1ft from the top of the antenna and the other i just set behind the Voom box, I ran a splitter out of the inside unit one directly to the Voom box the other to the TV so I could still get the stations that werent digital, I can get channels that I shouldn't be able to get over a 100 miles away...

Still Loving Voom

Go to Lowes and get the Channel Master Spartan 3 Model 3041DSB. As a professional installer and one who has tried a lot of amplifiers over the years, including Radio Shack and Winegard, I prefer the Channel Master.

Mike500 said:
Go to Lowes and get the Channel Master Spartan 3 Model 3041DSB. As a professional installer and one who has tried a lot of amplifiers over the years, including Radio Shack and Winegard, I prefer the Channel Master.

Is it an easy install?

Yes, one part goes near the antenna, and the other part down near the receiver. You neead a 75/300 ohm balum transformer (about $3 at Lowes), if your antenna does not have a 300 ohm connection.

I wonder if this booster could help me. I have my OTA in Tampa within the city limits. My property is surrounded by trees. I have tried placing my OTA in different areas of my property to avoid trees, someone told me to get it in a place where no obstructions were directly above it, just clear skies. Depending on the postitioning (turning) of the OTA, CBS or ABC comes in, but not both without breaking up. WB is my big problem, never able to get it. The weird thing is the first time I tune to WB for the day, it comes in, but if I move away from the channel and come back to it, never comes in again the rest of the day. I shut everything off and on again, same thing, I have to wait many hours for it to come back in. What can cause something like that? Do you think a booster will work? I am going to Lowe's today and will pick up the Channel Master to see.

I wonder if this booster could help me. I have my OTA in Tampa within the city limits. My property is surrounded by trees. I have tried placing my OTA in different areas of my property to avoid trees, someone told me to get it in a place where no obstructions were directly above it, just clear skies. Depending on the postitioning (turning) of the OTA, CBS or ABC comes in, but not both without breaking up. WB is my big problem, never able to get it. The weird thing is the first time I tune to WB for the day, it comes in, but if I move away from the channel and come back to it, never comes in again the rest of the day. I shut everything off and on again, same thing, I have to wait many hours for it to come back in. What can cause something like that? Do you think a booster will work? I am going to Lowe's today and will pick up the Channel Master to see.

I'm confused

Plywodstatebum said:
I use the one from Radio Shack Its a 2 piece unit the reciever mounts 1ft from the top of the antenna and the other i just set behind the Voom box, I ran a splitter out of the inside unit one directly to the Voom box the other to the TV so I could still get the stations that werent digital, I can get channels that I shouldn't be able to get over a 100 miles away...

Still Loving Voom

I am kind of confused... if the OTA cable is connecting in the box at the dish (using the diplexer on my STB) where do I put the second part of the booster? and How can I use the antenna for analog channels?

Thanks a bunch

Mike500 said:
So if I already have an amplified winegard sensor OTA (the wing looking thing), will the an additional amplifier (like mentioned above or in place of the existing one) help at all. My case is that I get most of the the locals, but CBS broadcasts at such low power that I get frequent breakups--that is the receiver is able to find the station, lock on to it (signal str ~84-86), but over the course of a show, there are enough video/audio dropouts that it is mostly unwatchable.

Just wondering.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I am going to get a booster. I am also attempting to re-aim the OTA. with weird result so far.
BTW, anybody knows of a place to get a booster for less than 60 bucks? There is one on ebay going for 55.00 with shipping for a used windguard one...

I couldn't get the Booster too work with the diplexer thats why I ran a separate line. The antenna you have has 2 connections. So you won't have any trouble running a separate line then split it after the inside booster box if you want You can got too Radio Shack and get the best one on the market, I read allot of feedback on boosters before I decided on the Radio Shack, And you won't have to worry about exchange if it dosen't work as good as you like. Don't buy used crap on-line you'll just get burned 75% of the time...
Good Luck I hope it works as good as it has for me... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)