What can I do with This???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Wow! It's been a while since I have had some time to post. My three-year-old, and home repairs monopolize my free time now.

I'm still messing with my BUD when I have some time; however, today I was given a DirecPC Dish and modem from a co-worker who now subscribes to cable broadband.

I have DSL, so I do not need Satellite Internet. I was wondering if anyone has used this dish to experiment on any projects (Micro BUD, wi-fi, etc.) Can I use it as an FTA dish as well? Thanks.

PS
Another co-worker saw the dish and asked what I was doing with it. I told her it makes a wonder tray for chips and dip during football and holiday parties. :D

Should work to pick up KU, or some C band as a minibud if you can get a Cband LNB. As you mentioned, it could also be used as a wifi antenna extender... but the wifi would only work if there's an open network somewhere nearby that'll accept your connections... a lot of places don't have that.

I think some people once got something like that to reach the wifi signals 10 miles or something, but they were in the mountains and had a perfect line of sight to the city down below that they were aiming for, as well as someone on the cell phone on the other end of that 10 miles, aiming the second dish at them.

Here's the link for how to make a primestar shoot wifi up to 10 miles... You'd have to have someone up to 10 miles away with a high speed internet connection and a similarly modified dish though...
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

The dish you are using should be able to modified to do similar if that's what you want it to do.

Last edited:
if you remove the transmitter by the dish, you vcan use it for FTA with no issues.
I have one of those DirecPC dishes (32x18) and it works pretty good :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts