What can I get with an 18" dish???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Carload
There are 3 satellites at 91
Galaxy 11..which doesnt have much on it
Nimiq 1 & 3...which houses ExpressVu

The craziness is between GalaxIE and GalaxY :):)

18" dish

FTA-ers, let me preface this with a disclaimer: Those who have previously stated that a 30" dish is the minimum required for ku-band reception are perfectly right. Anyone contemplating the purchase of a ku-band system should not plan on using a smaller dish.

However, some of us like to tinker. Me for instance. I'm now receiving Galaxy 10R on an old Dishnetwork 18" dish. With my Traxis 2500, I get:

KPBI-TV Fox and KFDF-TV UPN at peak 58% quality; no problems, yet. (As a matter of reference, I seem to remember getting these channels at something like 80-85% with my 30" dish a while back).

UWTV and Research Channel at peak 49% quality; no problems, yet.

and about 10 other channels (Univision, Telefutura, Pax, WB, UPN and Fox) at 40-43% quality. After 2 days, still no rain fade or aggravating transmission break-ups. I did have to go out once and bend my make-shift LNBF holder back into place, though.

I must be getting exceptional signal strength here in the Atlanta area. Some of you might not be able to do this from your location.

My next project will be to try an array of old pie tins :D .

Othea

To clarify for newbies, I'm sure Othea has swapped in a Ku-band LNBF with his old dish. You can't pick up anything from G10R with the Dish Network circular LNBF.

Ku-band lnbf

Carload is right, I'm using a Universal Ku-band lnbf.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure I'll lose most of those weak signals when the next mosquito flies by.

Next question: For us eBay buyers, which used Dish Network or DirecTV LNBs will work directly with a FTA receiver, and which ones won't?

carload said:
Next question: For us eBay buyers, which used Dish Network or DirecTV LNBs will work directly with a FTA receiver, and which ones won't?

the old singles or duals. The ones that will only look at one location.
I tried a Twin once and it didnt work right since the switch built in couldnt tell if I wanted 12224 on 119 or 12224 on 110

I'm using a DirectTv dual for 91 and a Dish NEt dual for 119 :)

I added a little info to the ExpressVu satellites. Stuff has been added since last update :)
(not much...but I added it)

Iceberg said:
the old singles or duals. The ones that will only look at one location.
I tried a Twin once and it didnt work right since the switch built in couldnt tell if I wanted 12224 on 119 or 12224 on 110

I've tried the twin with a MPEG2/FTA receiver (DMT1050). Since the receiver can't send commands to the switch (built into the twin) to switch satellite, the LNB will send the default signals to the receiver, as if there is no switch. In Dish Network's case, it's 119.

In other words, my DMT1050 can get signals from 119 but not from 110.

rangers

My Pansat and Viacast would actually get both....If I scanned TP1, I got it off 110 (since 119 is a spotbeam I can't get), yet other TP's would get 119

Gave up and use 2 duals for 119 (audio) and 110 (Gol TV)

I'm a Dish user with a local Dish as well, How to I (step by step) do the set up to view these "extra" channels.

Mike

Need a DVB receiver to get started, and you are getting most of the FTA channels (18" dish/DBS) now with your dish system. Most FTA channels would require a new 30" dish and KU LNBF.

PSB said:
Need a DVB receiver to get started, and you are getting most of the FTA channels (18" dish/DBS) now with your dish system. Most FTA channels would require a new 30" dish and KU LNBF.

Thanks, Always looking for more free stuff.

Sports Package

How can view the sports packages (NBA, MLB, NHL) on my Pansat 2500A with a Dish N* 500?

So the music channels work over FTA?! No fair! Through our dish receivers ALL of the music channels are blocked off :\ (those in the 900 range, I think) .. which kinda sucks.

I have a neighbor that has a little dish farm on his roof. He has an eliptical DirectV 3 LNB dish (Para Todos Dish I think) that he has bracketed and zip tied an Invocom .3db Universal linear KU Band lnbf to. He says he gets Telstar 5 no problem (97W location). Is this possible? We live in Baltimore, Maryland.

welcome :wave

Its very possible, since the DirecTV is at 101 and T5 is at 97...normally its 4 degrees separation

Signal may not be good though :)

The Phase 2 dish is a standard Channel Master 50E dish, I believe is equal to a 24" dish..

Some of the transponders on IA5 are pretty strong, and I am sure a 50E could pick it up.

The Phase 3 dish is smaller (by quite a bit actually)

50E specs (DTV specific) http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/50E.pdf

I assume he gutted the DTV stuff off of it, so its just the Invacom?

Will probably get a bit of rainfade, but I definately think its a workable solution.

(now you have me thinking about my Phase 2......)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)