What can I tune in on a DTH 8600IR?

christopherdb113

Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
I'm a newbie looking to get into the FTA scene with some (cheap) used equipment by posting a Wanted ad on my local craigslist. My goal is to pick up news and educational programming such as documentaries, history, and true crime. I would like a motorized dish and the capability to receive as many free channels as possible, though in the end I will probably only watch a few of them.

I am located in SW Ohio and have a clear view of the sky from about 180 - 270 degrees, and from 20 - 90 degrees elevation. From what I have researched so far that means I have about five satellites to choose from.

I've been contacted by a person wanting to sell a DTH 8600IR receiver and dish. We have not yet discussed the price but I found a few on ebay for $25 - $60. I've been trying to research the unit and can't find much information aside from that it is used mainly for home schooling. I don't believe it can support a motorized dish mount and when used with a fixed dish it is still somewhat limited on the number of channels it can be programmed to receive.

Could someone please confirm this?

Thanks,
Christopher

The receiver is very outdated and would require manual transponder entry to receive and scan standard definition channels. I recall some talk that it could be JTAGed to use MicroRoyal firmware, but it is still old technology and require manual programming. Once updated with current transponders and scanned, it would work well receiving most KU-band channels on 97w. I wouldn't pay more than $10 or $15 for the receiver and only if a working remote was included.

Depending on the condition and price, the dish may be the deal...

Welcome to the site Christopher!

Like Brian said I would not pay very much for that receiver. If it were me I would pass on that and look for a more modern receiver, with DVB-S2 capabilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)