What can you do when 3 shows on at the same time???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I used to have time-shift with my old provider with dual tuners. Now I only have east coast. When there were 3 shows on at once, I would DVR 2 of them and get the timeshift 3rd one later. Now, it looks like with D*, there is no time shift, so is there anyway to get the 3 shows? :confused:

Or have 2 DVR's which gives you 4 tuners to record with. On my main TV I have 2 DVRs and a regular old plain receiver. So if the need were to arise I could record 4 things and watch a 5th live. :D

No there is not. Two tuners only allow two shows to be recorded at the same time. You would need another DVR to record more shows at once.

I can't remember the last time that there were 3 shows on at the same time that I wanted to watch. Even 2 was rare until this year when Amazing Race moved to Sunday. Luckily I also switched to FiOS in September, which alternately provides the locals in analog format, so I have more recording/watching options than with satellite, and I still avoid a DVR fee.

Thursday night at 9pm kills us "grays anatomy", "CSI" & "Supernatural" are all on at the same time...My fix is that I have SC & D* and CTV shows gray's at 8pm so we watch that live and tape the other 2....although I really wish the CW would move "Supernatural" but they don't seem to care that their shows are getting killed which is too bad because Supernatural is pretty good. Although with the crummy lineups that the Nets have this season that is the only time I have a problem.

I used to have time-shift with my old provider with dual tuners. Now I only have east coast. When there were 3 shows on at once, I would DVR 2 of them and get the timeshift 3rd one later. Now, it looks like with D*, there is no time shift, so is there anyway to get the 3 shows? :confused:

get another receiver and install it at the primary tv where the dual tuner is...Actually did on elike this....Guy's tv had a split screen mode...I hooked the thiong up(3 cables to the tv loaction BTW, and there he was watching the NCAA hoops tourney in split screen . he could record two while watching a third...Hoops hog heaven..I thought the guy was going to pop a woody.

I am doing the same as a couple others here. I have 2 DVRs at my main TV location (the installer thought I was crazy). And it does solve that "Gray's Anatomy", "CSI", & "Supernatural" problem. :)

Help! Help! As our other Forum memebers have said, two TiVos, or DVRs solves the problem nicely-cost me $4.99 a month extra to have the addtional TiVo sitting next to our Hughes HR10-250. There are a lot of nights when I want to record two shows and honorable wife wants The Bachelor or some other reality show she is addicted to. His and hers, or redundant, DVRs/TiVos can solve a lot of logistical and marital problems, LOL.

$5 a month does not seem bad to me for all that additional capability. I realize for some it makes a big difference.

Ithe installer thought I was crazy

My installer did as well. Couldn't figure out why I'd need 2 DVRs plus my old stand alone HD receiver all on 1 TV. I told him for triple conflicts either SD or HD. He still didnt' get it. :eek: :D

I installed a fouth DVR into a guy's living room a few weeks ago. I gotta wonder - when he only had three DVR's and could record 6 shows at once - what was the seventh show he needed to record so bad that he had to get another DVR?

Assuming at least one of the shows is on a local channel (possibly HD), record 2 shows with the DVR and use the TV's internal tuner to watch the third. There is a good chance that you might live within 50 miles from an HDTV terrestrial transmitter -- best kept secret: OTA HDTV is as good as DBS. Personally I prefer it to sat (and there is NO signal latency from the TV transmitter, AND IT"S FREE!!!). Remember, Advanced TV Standards (HDTV et al) were developed at the beckoning of terrestrial broadcast stations with the express intention of competing with digital cable and satellite systems.

-psyclops

Assuming at least one of the shows is on a local channel (possibly HD), record 2 shows with the DVR and use the TV's internal tuner to watch the third. There is a good chance that you might live within 50 miles from an HDTV terrestrial transmitter -- best kept secret: OTA HDTV is as good as DBS. Personally I prefer it to sat (and there is NO signal latency from the TV transmitter, AND IT"S FREE!!!). Remember, Advanced TV Standards (HDTV et al) were developed at the beckoning of terrestrial broadcast stations with the express intention of competing with digital cable and satellite systems.

-psyclops

I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention the availability of the TV tuner, I use my HD tuner in my TV all the time for local broadcast in HD.
A simple input button changes from sat to OTA tuner, no big deal.

Jimbo

Thursday night at 9pm kills us "grays anatomy", "CSI" & "Supernatural" are all on at the same time...

I'm not sure if they still are, but at the beginning of the season, ABC was showing the Thursday Grey's Anatomy again on Friday night. If you have a free slot of Friday, you could tape it then... (assuming they're still doing that)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)