what channels do you get on Galaxy 17

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

canajien

Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hogtown
I am thinking about putting a BUD up in our yard this spring (we are in Toronto), for two reasons

1. to learn and play around with (hobby)
2. see what other channels are available that I can't get OTA

and the first satellite I would like to point it at galaxy 17, but I am getting conflicting reports about what channels will be available for free, lyngsat shows that I can get channels like FX, Fox sports, Fox Movies and a few others

Galaxy 17 at 91.0°W - LyngSat

while a recently updated pdf from skyvision shows like all I can get is the CW, but I can already get that one OTA

http://www.skyvision.com/pages/information_center/cbandFTA.pdf

If I am able to get the channels listed on lyngsat, then I am willing to put up the $$$ and buy new equipment (dish, receiver, lnb etc....) and do it all in one shot, but if I can't get those channels then I will most likely just try to scrounge together old used equipment that is cheap/free.

So my question is this: What channels are people getting from Galaxy 17?

Thanks

Since there is a rule against posting feeds that are in the clear (ITC) you probably won't get a straight answer in the open forums. I will tell you though that if you want to get into satellite tv as a hobby, then there's a ton of stuff up there to watch depending on what you are looking for. What you must understand though is ITC stuff comes and goes like the wind so don't go to the trouble and expense of getting into it if you expect it to be your primary source for tv.

Since there is a rule against posting feeds that are in the clear (ITC) you probably won't get a straight answer in the open forums. I will tell you though that if you want to get into satellite tv as a hobby, then there's a ton of stuff up there to watch depending on what you are looking for. What you must understand though is ITC stuff comes and goes like the wind so don't go to the trouble and expense of getting into it if you expect it to be your primary source for tv.

ok, thanks, the dish won't be my primary source of tv, just want to play around to learn etc... in order to not break the rules let me rephrase the question. "Of the 37 channels that lyngsat claims to be in the clear how many does anyone get on a consistent basis?"

if the number is high (double digits) then I will probably invest in new equipment and start with just the one bird before getting into a motor to move the dish around etc... if the number is low then I will just piece it together using a lot of cheap/free second hand equipment. Either way I will most likely be putting it up this spring/summer, just trying to figure out if it is worth investing the $$$ in new equipment to get started sooner than later

So let me "rephrase" my answer. I've got an OTA antenna on my house and two BUD satellite systems, one 10ft and one 7.5ft with two AZBoxes and a Pansat 3500 SD and I don't pay for any TV! ;-)

I just did a blind scan on 91W with my AZBox Ultra connected to my 7.5 Ft SAMI mesh dish with a DMX 741S LNBF and it picked up 112 channels of which I watch about 5. There's more than that open but I'm not Catholic and EWTN has about a dozen channels in the open. There's a few Spanish channels ITC also. Your mileage may vary, depending on dish size. ;-)

ks
So let me "rephrase" my answer. I've got an OTA antenna on my house and two BUD satellite systems, one 10ft and one 7.5ft with two AZBoxes and a Pansat 3500 SD and I don't pay for any TV! ;-)

I just did a blind scan on 91W with my AZBox Ultra connected to my 7.5 Ft SAMI mesh dish with a DMX 741S LNBF and it picked up 112 channels of which I watch about 5. There's more than that open but I'm not Catholic and EWTN has about a dozen channels in the open. There's a few Spanish channels ITC also. Your mileage may vary, depending on dish size. ;-)

Thanks! That's the kind of answer that is going to keep me motivated. I think I will look for a really big used BUD, the largest one I can find new up here is 6' and look at a new receiver/lnb.

all i can say is look around some back roads and try to score a free bud and you wont be dissapointed.
i was once like you and didnt wanna spend alot of money to test the hobby out. but after many years of finding great channels and feeds id cash in my subs if the wife would let me.there is enough tv for me on c band and ku to keep me entertained. good luck on your decision.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)