What comes first, DiSEqC or 22khz switch?

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I searched and found several reults, some conflicting and all the posts were quite old. So let me ask again, what comes first?

Rec ==> 22khz ==> DiSEqC ==> lnb
Rec ==> DiSEqC ==> 22khz ==> lnb

7D5ADAD0-5310-49DC-9FE8-58B1F01EABF6.jpeg

What comes first the chicken or the egg? LOL

Seriously, as a 22KHz switch typically has higher switching capacity and reliability, I might lean towards putting it first in a cascade.

BUT....

Some STBs and switches don't play nice and you may need to install how it works with your switches and STB. Example, the majority of FTA STBs are used with Universal LNBFs (which would be down stream from a DiSEqC switch) and the 22KHz tone may be interrupted when a DiSEqC call is issued. The 22KHz switch may stay latched or return to default port 1. The DiSEqc switch may be committed or non-commited and switch back to default port 1. This varies from switch to switch and STB to STB. I recall some issues with the order of switches or the lack of command repeats to extablish the signal path.

Sorry, no correct generic answer. Just test and see which method provides a reliable signal path.

Reactions: olliec420
What comes first the chicken or the egg? LOL

Seriously, as a 22KHz switch typically has higher switching capacity and reliability, I might lean towards putting it first in a cascade.

BUT....

Some STBs and switches don't play nice and you may need to install how it works with your switches and STB. Example, the majority of FTA STBs are used with Universal LNBFs (which would be down stream from a DiSEqC switch) and the 22KHz tone may be interrupted when a DiSEqC call is issued. The 22KHz switch may stay latched or return to default port 1. The DiSEqc switch may be committed or non-commited and switch back to default port 1. This varies from switch to switch and STB to STB. I recall some issues with the order of switches or the lack of command repeats to extablish the signal path.

Sorry, no correct generic answer. Just test and see which method provides a reliable signal path.

Gotcha. Will give it a go! Thanks.

Update: Poo. So I put the 22khz first. With *22khz on* going to my easy to move 90cm and *22 khz off* going to the pansat diseqc switch. Under the theory that 22khz off would be like a barrel connector to the system becasue no tone is needed and it will pass everything including diseqc commands through. It doesnt seem to like that. 97w_cband on port 1 and 103w_ku on port 2 of the diseqc. Port one works but port 2 does not making me think diseqc commands are not passing the geosat_22khz switch.

I read in another although very old thread that ecoda switches will pass diseqc commands. Can anyone confirm this? And if so will someone sell me one?

EDIT: As usual titanium is right.. TEST TEST TEST. I reveresed it all and it works. It is VERY slow to switch and tune but it is working. Awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
I read in another although very old thread that ecoda switches will pass diseqc commands. Can anyone confirm this?

Absolutely right: Ecoda 22kHz-switches are constantly power-through and constantly 22kHz-through.
So these can be put directly 'after' the receiver for cascaded switching; some other 22kHz switches cannot.

Downside of the Ecoda's: they power both sides of the switch continuously; so your receiver must be able to supply enough power!

Greetz,
A33

Edit: do you in fact use 5 LNBs?
If not, what is the reason that you don't use your 4/1 switch for the LNBs, and leave the 22kHz switch out?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)