what deg?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Hello -- can someone let me know if I can see (no pun intended) a clean line of sight... what deg do you need to directv's bird for HD and Locals for CT?

thanks in advance,
John

Not sure which dish you plan on using, but I would make sure to have at least a clear LoS from 225° - 235°, making sure there will be no future growth of trees, brush or buildings. Your elevation should be in the 29° - 35° range.

EDIT

Last edited:
what options do I have? I assume the 3 lnb is the most uptodate? I've been out of the sat market for a few years :-(

as a refresher - what is equal to be level with the horizon?

PhaseIII is a 3 LNB dish for MPEG2 HD and standard SD programming.

The AT9 is a 5 LNB dish for MPEG2, MPEG4 and standard SD programming.

MPEG4 is limited to HD locals and some RSN coverage in limited metro areas, so it may not be required.

I am sure there are a few users in your area that might chime in soon and help you determine your best option based on your programming needs.

charper1 said:
PhaseIII is a 3 LNB dish for MPEG2 HD and standard SD programming.

The AT9 is a 5 LNB dish for MPEG2, MPEG4 and standard SD programming.

MPEG4 is limited to HD locals and some RSN coverage in limited metro areas, so it may not be required.

I am sure there are a few users in your area that might chime in soon and help you determine your best option based on your programming needs.

Chiming in here from Cheshire CT! :D

The local hd sat is next to 101, which is at 233 degrees and 34 degrees elevation. Quiite honestly, I'm not sure which Spaceway the local channels are on, but it's either two degrees to the left or the right of the 101 sat. Use a compass to find 233 degrees and a protractor and level to find the correct elevation. The best place may be out in your yard, but that's actually a good thing, because a pole mount is the best way to go.

raoul5788 said:
Chiming in here from Cheshire CT! :D

The local hd sat is next to 101, which is at 233 degrees and 34 degrees elevation. Quiite honestly, I'm not sure which Spaceway the local channels are on, but it's either two degrees to the left or the right of the 101 sat. Use a compass to find 233 degrees and a protractor and level to find the correct elevation. The best place may be out in your yard, but that's actually a good thing, because a pole mount is the best way to go.

Thank you -- we started to clear a couple tree's today that are on our side of the line. It appears that d* is a better "fit" for us then E* which is at 246

Off topic -- since you are in CT and I assume you are using the local HD channels? I think we only have wvit and wfsb so far, how do they come in?

TIA
John

johnner1999 said:
Thank you -- we started to clear a couple tree's today that are on our side of the line. It appears that d* is a better "fit" for us then E* which is at 246

Off topic -- since you are in CT and I assume you are using the local HD channels? I think we only have wvit and wfsb so far, how do they come in?

TIA
John

Generally they are good. Occasionally there is some pixelation. I would guess in Torrington that ota is not so good. You would get WNBC from NYC in hd also, since WVIT is owned by the network.

correct up here in the NW corner we don't much OTA (just snow - lol) and cablevision well stinks

I wanted Dishnetwork (more HD channels) but no local HD so I'm kind of confused :eek:

does your dish have the 3 or 5 lnb hook-ups?

johnner1999 said:
correct up here in the NW corner we don't much OTA (just snow - lol) and cablevision well stinks

I wanted Dishnetwork (more HD channels) but no local HD so I'm kind of confused :eek:

does your dish have the 3 or 5 lnb hook-ups?

5lnb. That's the only way to get the local hd channels from Directv.

Ota

I live in Litchfield, CT and I use a OTA and with good luck too, I receive all my locals in HD and only have to rotate it for ABC. I am very happy with the results... since D* only offers two HD networks at the moment...

Yes it records OTA just like every other channel the difference the channel will have a dash between the numbers ( 4-1,6-1,7-1 ect... )

stickboy do you have a medium or large outside antenna? Or do you think a clip on dish unit would work? I'm in Torrington on a hill near litchfield.?

OK I had a E* installer here today - and the main direction for line of sight he said was 246 area at 23 deg elavation -- which was still a no go even with trees cut down.

He was a really nice guy and said that maybe D* would be best; he couldn't tell me where the birds were - but said they should be close to the 240 range and also should be higher in the sky.

So I'll call D* for a install... main reason why I picked E* was less sports focused and from what people say they have a better PQ?

I hope D* can install :-(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts