What Do Directv Customers Really Pay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Been without a pay television for a couple months in preparation for an oft-delayed move that looks like it's finally happening in a few days (Was a Dish customer prior). The plan was to give Comcast a try because they are the only Internet provider where I am going (Except satellite Internet, which doesn't meet my needs) and I thought I might qualify for a new customer bundle by transferring my existing Internet service and adding television. Well, I called them and waited on hold for seven years or so, had a long conversation with someone who's IQ seemed to be in the single digits, and said conversation concluded with them setting up nothing for me because they couldn't get my address right (A problem I've had before at a different address, believe it or not). When I got my existing Internet service set up with Comcast years ago, it took me several missed install visits (by them), two visits to their office (by me), two visits from them to my home, a zillion phone calls, an article in the Consumerist, and other things.

I hate that Comcast has me by the balls with Internet (No FIOS or DSL where I'm going) or I wouldn't deal with them at all. But they do, so I'm going to have to call them back and make something work. But my frustrating phone call with them today reminded me that I do have a choice when it comes to my television provider. We'll see if I have more luck tomorrow, but anything short of their best new customer promo and an install date resulting from the call tomorrow and I will only deal with them for what I basically have to- Internet- out of spite (Well, out of not wanting to deal with a company that makes life way tougher than it has to be for me). I really am beginning to hate those guys. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but they remind me of stories of the old telephone monopoly.

So, that brings me to Directv.

What would the following cost with Directv?:

- One HD tv, one SD TV
- Choice programming
- The Genie thing

I mean year one and year two per month rates including all the little fees they add- receiver fees, RSN fees, setup fees, install fees, fees for paying fees, etc.. No offense to Directv, I just know that's how this entire industry works. :) I don't want to sign a contract I'll regret or can't afford. I've looking at their website and seen the programming fee, but I can see from the non-specific fine print, as well as what is basically becoming common sense after dealing with other providers, that there's more to it than that. I don't want to join that $100 a month club the Dish advertisements kept mentioning on every show on every channel during my waning days with Dish. ;)

Some days I just think "Screw it, I'll go without", but from missing a couple months of the Orioles season and having to pay to sit at a bar and watch preseason football and seeing how much that costs, I don't really want to keep going without if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
At directv.com you can build an order if you haven't already, and it'll show you what your costs would be per month for the contract, & should on the cost of instillation & equipment. May not show you the HD, DVR fees though. I don't have a Genie so someone else can tell you what it is now, but for example I've a $6 second receiver fee, $10 DVR fee & $10 for HD.

Set up an install with TV for Comcast. They have me by the balls on Internet in that region and they knew it. Shoved a huge install fee down my throat. Not due to a credit check or anything, because they could. But, in the end TV is only adding $15 a month to my bill for a pretty nice package versus just getting the Internet alone, and is only adding 30% to the install fee, because with TV I could get a new customer promo that extended to everything, and with just Internet, I wasn't eligible for anything (Got that one a couple years ago). Directv isn't going to be able to match that. But in 6 months when the promos are over, we'll see. I don't like it, but when I realized what I'd pay for installation and service on Internet alone full price and how little a TV package added to the bill during the promo period because it get me the temporary bundles promotion, well, what can you do?

Granted, no DVR or anything, but I've never had one. Life is expensive and I'm poor. I do what I can.

Directv will show you all fees for everything, even HD. Genie is actually free right now and install is free, as long as they do not have to do anything special. You have to pay like a 10 fee for tax or something on the install though. But once you select your package and receiver, it will take you to your order page and you can click something towards the top which will show you each months fees for what you have. There is a post lower in the thread about directv if you want to know more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts