what do you call and where to buy

spudseq

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Hi all

What do you call that little device the installer looks though for line of site checking and where can I buy one
THANKS

All you need is an Azimuth (what direction) and Elevation (angle above the horizon).

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com can get you that info. A simple protractor can get you the angle and a good compass for the azimuth (though you may not need it if you can get the direction from the dishpointer map).

Not really the answer I am looking for :)- THANKS though- I appreciate that info and will use it - BUT - I really want to buy one of those devices.

So anyone know what they are called and/or where to buy one

Thanks !

Why is it becoming so hard to answer the question that people ask????

You can also find these on ebay or many other online outlets.

Sadoun would be the best choice though, great service!

Is There A list of Dishnetwork Installation companies?

My brother is wanting to work an an installer and has his own truck and ladder. Do you have any idea how they are paid as contractors and a list of installation companies they can work for.

If you don't know can you direct me somewhere.

John
jkaiser370@hotmail.com

I am new to this forum.

Thought the guy might just be a potential customer thinking he needs some special tool to check line of site. Just pointing out there are free ways to spot check your own property for LOS.
Problem is the website that shows you your azimuth,and elevation is nice for getting the proper setting on your satellite dish. But proper tool for making sure your line of site is,clear and free from obstructions,the correct tool is the Clinometer. The view form above your property from google earth is poor and most times out of date,and doesn't give you the proper way to see obstructions. Its nice that they give you that maximum height for an obstruction and the distance away the obstruction can be,but most people aren't standing on their neighbors roof with a tape measure or climbing trees to make sure its not over the reccomended height. Remember your putting your satellite up to view outterspace from the ground,not the ground from outerspace.

Problem is the website that shows you your azimuth,and elevation is nice for getting the proper setting on your satellite dish. But proper tool for making sure your line of site is,clear and free from obstructions,the correct tool is the Clinometer. The view form above your property from google earth is poor and most times out of date,and doesn't give you the proper way to see obstructions. Its nice that they give you that maximum height for an obstruction and the distance away the obstruction can be,but most people aren't standing on their neighbors roof with a tape measure or climbing trees to make sure its not over the reccomended height. Remember your putting your satellite up to view outterspace from the ground,not the ground from outerspace.

No doubt the installer will do a proper check. Yes, there are proper tools to do a lot of things, but if you only need it once and their is a free workaround, might as well do it that way. I don't see the vast majority of Dish customers standing on their roof with Clinometers either.

The SUUNTO TANDEM CLINOMETER (referenced above) is a great tool to have for satellite dish installers. As a professional installer, I would never go to a job without one. It is a time savor and sometimes a life savor. Some people have the wrong idea that dishes have to be installed on the roof. That is not true. Any spot at ground level or slightly above ground will work. The secret is, clear line of sight (LOS).

To check if LOS is clear, you use the SUUNTO view finder to assess the location of your dish installation BEFORE you start drilling or mounting the dish. No need for guessing anymore.

No doubt the installer will do a proper check. Yes, there are proper tools to do a lot of things, but if you only need it once and their is a free workaround, might as well do it that way. I don't see the vast majority of Dish customers standing on their roof with Clinometers either.

You need to be aware that sometimes there is no installer. I,the homeowner, do all my install work and with the current DNS techs out there I would not allow them on my property. Thus if I want to buy specialized tools I will.

You need to be aware that sometimes there is no installer. I,the homeowner, do all my install work and with the current DNS techs out there I would not allow them on my property. Thus if I want to buy specialized tools I will.

That's probably what I may have to do.
As the installer that came out said he would not do the install
reason one LOS - so I changed location.

I said we could do a pole install about 60' away and he said I would lose to much signal strength that far away and left .

Now I am waiting for a field supervisor to come out and see if he agree's.

If he will not do it then I guess I will have to do the install myself.

How do I get DISH to send me the equipment?

I'm with you on that. I did my own Dish 300 install in 1999 and in 2006 I LET a local retailer update me to a DISH 1000. Partly because I have picked his brain for OTA and TV info and I did want to give him some business for being so gracious with the advice. Some of us feel better when we do stuff ourselves, what would be nice is if we can get together with a specialty tool borrowing program with like minded amateurs. Maybe Sadoun could do a rental program, how nice would that be? My experience with a dish tech on my parents' free install was bad, rude and whiny the tech was. They should give techs more points for customer relations and less punishment on technical install errors especially if the system works when they're finished.

Acerbean

I made my own with a clipboard, protractor, plastic straw, small level and a compass. Tape the protractor vertically to the clipboard, attach the straw to the protractor at the proper elevation, set the level and compass on the clipboard, make sure you're level and pointed in the right direction, and the straw is pointed at the bird (more or less). Crude, but it worked for me. -Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)