What do you guys think about Direct HD Expansion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Your all selfish and IMO there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't slam others for being just as selfish as you are.

I will say that I am also one of the selfish ones. I want the channels that I receive in HD before any of the other ones. Why shouldn't I? If I went into a store and saw this huge selection of products but they had nothing that I would ever buy would I go back? You bet I wouldn't. I see this as the same as I want my provider to carry the stations that I want and that is all I really care about.

The most selfish of all has turned out to be.....

drumrolll please....

ta.

ta

ta

ta

tatatatatata.....ta.ta...

DirecTV, they selfishly promised 13 of the HBO/MAX HD channels in a JUNE of 2007 press release and NEVER delivered on that promise. Meanwhile, they roped in new subscribers and gained premium subscriber who were ready to go when the HBOs came. They never came!

DirecTV is selfish!

I'm not going to get in a neverending debate other than to correct the term selfish.

Plenty of channels already on there that I don't watch.Plenty that will be added in the future that I won't watch.

I'm all for anybody speaking out about their own personal desires and tastes.

My point is that (IMO) adding more Premium Movie Channels in HD is a terrible business decision for DirecTV.

I think they see that also. Plenty of evidence of that by them reneging on the promised addittional HD premiums from 18-24 months ago.

I just think there are far too many avenues that the bulk of HBO,Showtime Cinemax, Movie Channel,Starz and Encore programming can be watched by other means.

I think DirecTV has made their priorties clear with their actions.

1.Sports
2.Locals
3.National HD
4.Premiums Movie channels.

I was a Premium Movie Sub for 15 years+.
My wife is a "Movie Junkie"

Netflix is a better option for us. Not advocating them for anyone else just saying it works great for her.

My opposition to adding Premium Movie Channels in HD is based on a belief that it would be a waste of DirecTV resources for the piddling return it would yield.

Nothing personal against the "movie buffs" here.

Last edited:
I was a Premium Movie Sub for 15 years+.
My wife is a "Movie Junkie"

Netflix is a better option for us. Not advocating them for anyone else just saying it works great for her.

Haven't you and your wife heard about the latest up charge increase for bluray discs with Netflix? The three disc out at a time up charge is now $4 a month for bluray. $20.99 plus tax per month for up to 3 discs out at a time, including bluray. See link to pricing chart below (sorry if it doesn't work for some reason but it is on hackingnetflix.com)

http://mike.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451c1bb69e201156e9b8551970c-800wi

Not to mention the long queues people are facing for bluray titles. Seems to me that the premium channels make more sense in HD than does Netflix bluray discs or purchasing $30 discs. But that is just my opinion.

I cannot believe you are OK with DirecTV lying. It is pretty sad that during these corrupt times of greed in America, we have just accepted lies from companies we deal with as part of dealing with a company today. One's word (DirecTV specifically) means nothing anymore and you are OK with that?

This boils down to DirecTV saying they would add 13 HBO/MAX HD channels and then they didn't follow through. That was part of the reason I put out all that money for hardware and signed a 2 year contract. I am mad, but I would be down right angry if I wasn't with FIOS now, still not getting what I was promised from DirecTV. If I tried to break my contract, they would charge me nearly $20 a month for not holding up my end of the deal. But they are not punished for not holding up their end of the deal by adding channels they said they would. And you, as part of the "majority" that doesnt' subscribe to HBO are oK with that.

If it doesn't effect you, you are OK with it. Kind of like taxing the rich. You don't make $300K so you don't care if people making over $300K are given a millionaires tax. It doesn't effect you. You'd care if it was something that effected you, now wouldn't you.

What if they said, "no more HD period right now." That would effect your desire for HD nationals.

What exactly do you want to see added? We already know you want to see something added that impacts the HD base package. What? I am assuming you are referring to the lowest non-family specific package, which is the "Choice package."

Looking at the choice package (effects most customers, like you said).
Here is what they don't yet carry in HD...
AMC
BBC America (is this available in HD yet?)
BYU TV (HD?)
BET
Bloomberk (HD?)
CNBC World (HD?)
CSpan 1/2 (HD?)
Cartoon west
CTN (HD?)
Church Channel (HD?)
Current TV (HD?)
Daystar (HD?)
Discovery Health (not yet in HD)
Discovery Kids (not yet in HD)
Disney West
E!
EWTN (HD?)
Fine Living (HD?)
Fit TV (HD?)
Fuse
God TV (HD?)
GSN (HD?)
Galavision (HD?)
GemsTV (HD?)
Gospel Music Channel (HD?)
HITN (HD?)
Hallmark Channel
Headline News (HD?)
Home Shopping
ION TV
IFC
Jewelry TV (HD?)
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
LinkTV (HD?)
MSNBC (Not in HD yet)
MTV2 (HD?)
N (HD?)
Nasa TV (HD?)
NRB (HD?)
Nick west
Noggin (HD?)
Once Mexico (HD?)
QVC
RFD TV (HD?)
Reelz Channel (HD?)
Soapnet (HD?)
ShopNBC (HD?)
TCT Network (HD?)
TV GUide Network (HD?)
TV Land (HD?)
TV One (HD?)
The World Network (HD?)
Travel Channel
TBN (HD?)
TruTV (HD?)
TCM (Not in HD yet, as we discussed)
Univision (HD?)
V-me (HD?)
We
World Harvest Television

As you can see, I have highlighed the channels that we KNOW are available in HD that would make an impact. These are the channels in the basic package that effects everybody like you said. Many of these channels aren't even available in HD, hence the HD? listed beside them. So if they stripped out 9 PPV channels and added these nine, would you then be OK with them adding the promised HBO/MAX channels? or would you then move on and fill in the blanks in the choice extra package?

I honestly think that if they added the HBO/MAX channels they promised it would have more of a positive impact on them then it would adding these 9 channels. They probably wouldn't gain or retain that many subscribers based on the list above and the 9 bolded channels. But you can bet they would get more people adding HBO/MAX to their subscription if they carried the extra HBO/MAX channels. I believe when people are looking to make the switch to DirecTV from anything else too, they would look at that list of HBO HDs before the 9 choice channels that would make the most impact. "Oh honey they have Lifetime Movie Network HD" would not be heard more than "they have a bunch of HBO and Cinemax channels in HD now."

Let's get real. Adding the HBO/MAX channels is their next logical move.

Selfishly, I personally would like to see the 9 basics I pointed out. Well, not all of them, but some of them. But that is just to give me a few channels I don't already get and one I particularly want (AMC HD). But it isn't about me. It is about promises kept and what makes the most business sense. Add the HBOs!

Last edited:
Skottey, you are confusing my statements with another poster that mentioned the basic package add ons.

If it were soley up to me my choices would be AMC,(Breaking Bad, Mad Men) Travel Channel, ESPNU and WGN.

As for your refernce to taxes, if it were me:

Income taxes would be abolished. If Income taxes had to stay it would be a flat tax and the man making 40,000 a year and the man making 4M a year would pay the same rate.

I digress though and don't want to turn it into a political discussion about taxes and Class System/Warfare.

My objection to adding Movie Premiums is that (IMO) it is bad business for DirecTV.

As for the lie(concerning Premium Movies in HD) you mention, I do believe it is shoddy business practice. Not going to debate Business ethics here as it would end up being a neverending debate much like taxes and other political meanderings.

In closing If I was a movie buff to the point that some on here post about ad nauseaum, I would vote with my wallet as I believe you(skottey) did, instead of bashing my head against the same wall repeatedly.

Some on here(no names) would rather just have the issue to bitch about.

Dish is no better though. I was very thankful to have not signed a contract with them. They dangled a carrot in front of my face initially, offering me $50 off to sign a 2 year agreement. Heck no!

DirecTV did the same thing. 130 national HD channels? bulls***! Half of them are regional sports networks full of blackouts unless you buy the overpriced sports packages. (cue the "RSN's ARE national" fanboys) I'm paying $113 a month and am only getting 74 NATIONAL HD channels. Nothing but worthless sports, lies and greed is all DirecTV is good for!

Although I have no use for sports (except UFC), I knew when subbing to Direct that premiums would take a back seat. I'm happy having the majority of Showtimes / TMCs / starz and I miss the other premiums, but I live with it for the sake of having a singular dish. I hope they add more, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding the 2007 press release, that was pretty shoddy of them not following through. It does show a degree of contempt for users, but one needs to get over it.

Again, though I'm not a sports fan, it makes good business sense for Direct to differentiate itself from Dish through the most sports programming.

Change providers tomcat.

Sounds like FIOS eould be a good provider for you.

What's'that? You say it's not available in your area?

Move! Premium Movie channels seem to be very important to you.:D

I just sent them the following email:

In a press release in July 2007, you promised you would add 11 channels of HBO and Cinemax and their spinoffs.

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD

Currently you only offer 4 of them (just the 2 flagship channels, none of the spinoffs). When will the rest be added? Why did you lie to the public?

Also you said the new D10 satellite would be capable of carrying 150 national HD channels. Why do you only carry 75 of them? (its oxymoronic to call a regional sports network a national channel, don't you think?) Please stop lying to the public and deliver on your promises, its been 2 years now.

Change providers tomcat.

Ok I'll just take all of my invisible money out of my pretend bank account and buy a mansion that's in a Verizon market.

Do you really think a guy that posts on forums all day can afford to move? Think about it...

I found it

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD

It actually says 11 HBO / Max in HD, not 13.

it also says D10 was supposed to carry 150 national HD channels. Here it is 2 years later and we're stuck on 70 (I DON'T count locals and RSN's).

So who wants in on the lawsuit?

Yes, I was lying about the 13... haha... just kidding.... it had been a while since I read the actual press release and for some reason I was thinking they meant eleven more in addition to the HBO East and Cinemax East, totaling 13. I had forgotten the two flagships were included in the count making a total of 11.

So it is 11 total instead of 13. That is even easier for them to achieve. They could drop some PPVs and add those channels tonight!

If you really go through with the lawsuit, and there should be a class action lawsuit, count me in.

A few years ago, out of nowhere, I was made aware of a class action lawsuit involving a lemon of a laptop that I owned (won't name the brand since they are good on their word and have since redeemed themselves... no, not Dell, I hate Dell). I ended up getting I think $250. It was like found money. I had gone back and forth with warranty repairs for that particular model and it was so bad I scrapped it soon after warranty, and I am a computer repair guy. It wasn't just my time, but the cost of parts would be outrageous for me to fix after warranty. So that was a nice surprise.

It is kind of hard though to prove that you subscribed because you thought they would have all those additional premiums. I really thought they would, but that is just my word, no proof. That is why I switched to them at the time.

So, I'm thinking a class action lawsuit for this wouldn't gain you any money, but, it might get them to settle by adding the channels. That would be the ultimate goal. Better late than never.

Change providers tomcat.

It is funny you say that because in the early days of cable broadband, I actually turned down an apartment and found another one because it was in an area serviced by Roadrunner where the other apartment wasn't yet serviceable. We are talking 1998 here.

Actually I've only been a DirecTV subscriber since the end of October 2008, I had Comcast for WAY too long before that.

I wouldn't want them to pay me off, and if they tried to I wouldn't accept it. I'd want them to fulfill their promise. No amount of money can make up for years of lying and cheating the public.

It is funny you say that because in the early days of cable broadband, I actually turned down an apartment and found another one because it was in an area serviced by Roadrunner where the other apartment wasn't yet serviceable. We are talking 1998 here.

I know the feeling.

In the early 80's I, would not buy a house that my wife wanted becuase of it being outside the city limits of the small town I resided in then.

Cable didn't get out that far.:)

I switched to DBS in the earliest days. On the same front I wouldn't buy/build now if I didn't have clear southwestern exposure.

Do you really think a guy that posts on forums all day can afford to move? Think about it...

Haha... good one... I'm not rich but I work from home a lot screwing around on forums, watching movies, playing video games, and babysitting my awesome 14 month old son and receive my 12 year old son when he gets home from school at 4:45 pretty often. I make pretty good money. The sad part is my wife works full time and is in both a Masters program and getting her RN, while I play Mr. Mom. She is gone 14 hours a day so you guys see more of me than she does :(

So if anybody is wondering what the hell I am doing posting and repeating myself, that is my story. I'm not rich and cannot afford to move either. Just getting by, causing trouble.

If you think I am stirring the pot here, you should see some of the other eight or so forums I am going back and forth in. Yes, it is an obsession. I am obsessed with these damn forums. But it sure beats me cheating on my wife or hacking the Pentagon, right?

<--unemployed unmarried childless loser. (I got a gf and a cat to keep me company though)

You editing monster.... I'm telling your cat you forgot about him or her the first time and edited him or her in as an afterthought.

What is your cat's name? Max, as in Cinemax? haha.... Do you call it the Home Litterbox Office?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts