What do you guys think about Direct HD Expansion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Last edited:
I'd like more premiums and Travel in HD, etc.

I could care less about sports. I only switched to Direct since they require only a single dish (with Dish Network I would've needed two).

Lol, Tom, good luck with that:up

Seriously, that should be DirecTV's new motto.

EVERY HD CHANNEL IN EXISTENCE , NO EXCUSES, NO EXCEPTIONS!

I bet you a million dollars that if it was their modus operandi their profits would quadruple in less than a year.

TomCat4680 for President of Liberty Media Group!

Seriously, that should be DirecTV's new motto.

EVERY HD CHANNEL IN EXISTENCE , NO EXCUSES, NO EXCEPTIONS!

I bet you a million dollars that if it was their modus operandi their profits would quadruple in less than a year.

TomCat4680 for President of Liberty Media Group!
I agree that it would be nice, It also would not be easy to do. Much more involved than just saying it.

A few years, maybe before we approach that. Hell, probably before anyone approaches that.

I agree that it would be nice, It also would not be easy to do. Much more involved than just saying it.

A few years, maybe before we approach that. Hell, probably before anyone approaches that.

please elaborate in technical terms.

I don't see how it doesn't work in marketing terms...

If they were to remove all of the PPV channels and the infomercial channels, how much bandwidth would that free up, seriously?

and aparently, when D12 is up and running, they'll have the capability for 200 HD channels.

So add the 130 they have now to the 60 on my list, thats 190, plus any missing locals, full time RSN's in HD...

When it comes to technology, I don't believe in the word impossible...

Last edited:
Tom, removing ALL of the PPV and infomertical channels is not a financially sound decision for them. I know many do not like them, but they make money off of these channels. Also, removing a few SD "infomercial channels" would not free up enough bandwidth to make any difference when it comes to adding new HD
So leaving most of those up, it becomes a bandwidth issue. Yeah, you can launch more sats, however you then run into the problem of having them in differnent lines of site. So there is more equipment that needs to be swapped out or added. Very costly, and frustrating for the customers. Add to that that most of their customers do not get HD yet, so why take those steps yet?

Perhaps they can come up with a better compression method, but again, there is equipment that needs to be upgraded to be able to decode it.

Most of AMC's content is in stretch-o-vision. No loss for me.

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on television and is not stretch-o-vision. I otherwise don't watch the channel but look forward to this show each week.

I would love to have AMC HD. I am spoiled with all the premiums in HD on FIOS but I also have DirecTV. I pay out the nose between the two and it is a shame I still cannot watch one of my favorite shows in HD on AMC HD.

My vote is for AMC HD on DirecTV.

If I didn't have FIOS, I'd also be real critical about the 2007 DirecTV press release that said they'd be getting a bunch of the HBO/Cinemax HDs in fall of 2007 that never materialized. I'd also be upset with no Travel Channel HD. So for my own selfishness, I don't care if DirecTV adds any of those right now. For the rest of you that only have DirecTV, I wish you get more HBOs and certainly Travel Channel HD.

I have read that AMC HD's back end equipment isn't that great and the channel doesn't look that great (aside from the stretch-o-vision). Surely, Rainbow has a ton of equipment from the now dead Voom channels that they could use to upgrade the AMC, IFC, We, and Fuse HD feeds. But either way, I'll take AMC HD over the SD washed out channel I watch Breaking Bad on now. It surely is better looking and I know for sure that show is 16x9 and not stretched. The movies I don't care about because I don't watch basic cable movies.

even though most people would rather have 24/7 national HD channels? sounds like pure corporate greed to me !protest
Lol, call it what you want. It seems, based on sub numbers they seem to be doing fine on keeping most subs happy, and adding new ones. Do not forget, they are in buisiness to make money, just the same as everyone else.

what happened to the customer is always right?
Who is saying they are wrong?

Again, I understand that you want these channels, but should they change a profitable buisiness plan to meet your specific needs now, if they can meet them some time in the near (few years) future?

yes TMC HD is channel 544

old movies in HD are on MGM HD.

Are you being sarcastic or did you not know I made a mistake and meant TCM and not TMC. I was responding to a post and quoted it that clearly said Turner Classic Movies. TCM is short for Turner Classic Movies and I am pretty sure you know what I meant.

I could care less about The Movie Channel (TMC). I get TMC E/W and TMC Extra E/W in HD with FIOS.

I meant, does Turner Classic Movies actually exist in HD yet? TCM HD!

TCM plays some of the best classic movies, commerical free, and I would like to see that too like the other guy in HD. MGM HD is not the old movies we are talking about. While I have watched good movies on that channel, they don't consistently air 1930's to 1950's and 60's films like TCM does. And TCM is not all MGM either, it is largely the Turner archive purchased back in the 80's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)