What do you guys think about Direct HD Expansion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's the rub, if they add a national HD channel and remove a PPV they'd need to sign up X number of new HD customers to offset the revenue from the PPV removed.

Ain't no rub, although my wife's feet could use a rub.

Yeah, they have to pay for the channels they put up as far as a national HD channel, but they also get to place ads on the channels so many minutes per hour. That is revenue. If it is a popular channel, they make money off that too.

Yeah, PPV is no real cost to them but a source of revenue. But as long as they have some PPV, the people will have to pick another movie or a different start time for their movie of choice.

Yeah, you look at it as a long term investment. Seriously, if they had more HBO channels in HD, they'd get more people subscribing to HBO. There are also peopole out there that refuse to subscribe to DirecTV at all because of their lack of premiums. It is a make or break, but they just don't seem to get that. If they were serious about premium channels, they would have added all 26 HBO and Max channels in SD back in the late 90's. They certainly have the capacity for the SD channels. Then they would replace them with HD over time. But they don't take premiums serious. Before I got FIOS, I had all my premiums with DirecTV. I totally missed HBO Comedy and a specific event. The George Carlin marathon of his specials after his death. Of the HBOs, HBO Comedy is one of my favorites and they don't even carry that in SD. Before DirecTV, I had Bright House since it was Paragon in the 1990s and they have always carried all 26 HBO/MAX channels since they came to be in SD. So I had them for years and have them again in HD with FIOS. DirecTV was always sports driven. They have a great DVR and guide. They just need to add more premiums in HD and take that serious. I intend on buying a second home in the country and will be going with DirecTV. Hopefully by then they will have more premiums in HD. They would certainly gain movie subscribers if they had more premiums. They have the sports crowd. Add the premiums and the customers will come.

where the f*** are HBO and Max on demand?

The sick thing is HBO doesn't even bother to have HD programming in its On Demand catalog. Cinemax does, but HBO doesn't. I have them with FIOS.

HBO's excuse is that they won't bring HD On Demand back until the analog hole is closed for piracy concerns. Hello, anybody can still archive the stuff from a DVR. it is no more difficult or any easier to "pirate" the On Demand stuff. I believe it is just a lame excuse. HBO has been crappy lately, running themselves into the ground by canceling good shows and giving up Inside the NFL to Showtime.

the only HBO series I like is Real Time with Bill Maher. my gf likes a couple of series on it too and of course the movies so that's why i keep it. Showtime has the best original shows IMO.

Ain't no rub, although my wife's feet could use a rub.

Yeah, they have to pay for the channels they put up as far as a national HD channel, but they also get to place ads on the channels so many minutes per hour. That is revenue. If it is a popular channel, they make money off that too.

Yeah, PPV is no real cost to them but a source of revenue. But as long as they have some PPV, the people will have to pick another movie or a different start time for their movie of choice.

Yeah, you look at it as a long term investment. Seriously, if they had more HBO channels in HD, they'd get more people subscribing to HBO. There are also peopole out there that refuse to subscribe to DirecTV at all because of their lack of premiums. It is a make or break, but they just don't seem to get that. If they were serious about premium channels, they would have added all 26 HBO and Max channels in SD back in the late 90's. They certainly have the capacity for the SD channels. Then they would replace them with HD over time. But they don't take premiums serious. Before I got FIOS, I had all my premiums with DirecTV. I totally missed HBO Comedy and a specific event. The George Carlin marathon of his specials after his death. Of the HBOs, HBO Comedy is one of my favorites and they don't even carry that in SD. Before DirecTV, I had Bright House since it was Paragon in the 1990s and they have always carried all 26 HBO/MAX channels since they came to be in SD. So I had them for years and have them again in HD with FIOS. DirecTV was always sports driven. They have a great DVR and guide. They just need to add more premiums in HD and take that serious. I intend on buying a second home in the country and will be going with DirecTV. Hopefully by then they will have more premiums in HD. They would certainly gain movie subscribers if they had more premiums. They have the sports crowd. Add the premiums and the customers will come.

That's what I've been saying for months. Why can't DirecTV be the premium HD leader too? it really grinds my gears how little they care about non-sports fans!

Kudos to J. Malone and DirecTV for properly realizing that more Premium Movie Channels in HD is a terrible waste of time, bandwidth and financial resources. No matter how many times you rant otherwise TomCat.

Though skottey let me quickly add that I too would cast a vote for you as POTUS based on your opening sentence and first paragraph in Post # 117/Page 6.

Spot on observation about the current admin being Carter Redux.;)

Kudos to J. Malone and DirecTV for properly realizing that more Premium Movie Channels in HD is a terrible waste of time, bandwidth and financial resources. No matter how many times you rant otherwise TomCat.
+1 :up
All the extra premiums show the same crap at different times. Doesn't a DVR solve what ever problem not having the others creates? Answer: YES
I would like to see more HD channels added but I want them to make the most impact, and that is not by adding premiums.

Though skottey let me quickly add that I too would cast a vote for you as POTUS based on your opening sentence and first paragraph in Post # 117/Page 6.

Spot on observation about the current admin being Carter Redux.;)

saying any channels is a waste of bandwidth is narcisistic, hypocritical and selfish. this is the United States of DirecTV, where no channel is more important than another.

saying any channels is a waste of bandwidth is narcisistic, hypocritical and selfish. this is the United States of DirecTV, where no channel is more important than another.

That makes zero sense, but you know that already.

If adding an HD channel that very few will receive in an extra $12.99 package is equal to adding an HD Channel to the basic package which everyone will in turn receive makes sense in your world, I say up your medication. :cool:

none of the premiums are 12.99. mine are all 7 a month and im getting free Cinemax.

That makes zero difference, but you know that already.

If adding an HD channel that very few will receive in an extra $7.00 package is equal to adding an HD Channel to the basic package which everyone will in turn receive makes sense in your world, I say up your medication.

:D

That makes zero difference, but you know that already.

If adding an HD channel that very few will receive in an extra $7.00 package is equal to adding an HD Channel to the basic package which everyone will in turn receive makes sense in your world, I say up your medication.

:D

do i sit here and say sports pack and out of market sports packages are a waste of bandwidth? NO, I said every channel is equally important. the world doesn't revolve around you ya know. Believe it or not there ARE people that get DirecTV NOT because of the sports packages.

BTW: I have alot of the premiums as a signup bonus, one being showtime for 15 months. I don't care nothing about them adding another channel that will show the same content I already get when they could add something like G4, AMC or the Travel Channel in HD and give me NEW content in HD.

DirecTV Pecking order

1. Sports Fans

2. All other subs except

3.(Trailing by a substantial margin) Fans of Premium Movie channels.

Far too many other avenues to watch/Rent Movies.

the original shows on premiums is what sell them. alot of them have won emmys and everything. we all know theres dozens of ways to watch movies. not everyone can afford to go to the theater every friday night to see the latest film, or get a blu ray player or netflix or any of that. i prefer premiums, when it all boils down to it, theyre the best value for your money. hundreds of movies 24 hours a day, lots in HD. think about that for a while in financial terms. so what if theres repeats. are we all supposed to sit there and watch them at the same time as you so u dont have to watch repeats?

do i sit here and say sports pack and out of market sports packages are a waste of bandwidth? NO, I said every channel is equally important. the world doesn't revolve around you ya know. Believe it or not there ARE people that get DirecTV NOT because of the sports packages.
You are not very good at making a point. I refered to the BASIC package, I said nothing about SPORTS. So in the Directv world, the BASIC package is the center of the universe of which the world revolves.
That said I have more than BASIC but that is just gravy on top of the world revolving around me. :D

BTW: I have alot of the premiums as a signup bonus, one being showtime for 15 months. I don't care nothing about them adding another channel that will show the same content I already get when they could add something like G4, AMC or the Travel Channel in HD and give me NEW content in HD.

Agreed.

I was a premium Sub from from the Mid 90-s until the last couple of years.

I'd even go as far as saying while I would prefer any forthcoming Channel addittions to be Glorious HD that would not be true in case of Premium Movie Channels.

I'd take SD Channels before wanting any more resources used for Premium Movie Channels in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)