What Does a Firmware Download Look Like?

joshuals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Just looking for information for my own beneifit here.....

As mentioned in an earlier post, yesterday I upgraded from a DSR-315 to a DSR-319 and my dish from a generic to a 75e.

At 11PM MST (2AM EDT [receiver time]) last evening, I was sitting in the living room with the TV off and receiver at standby. All of a sudden the receiver powered ON by itself (green light came on) :eek: and I was unable to power it down with the remote.....

When I turned on the TV, there was a screen that looked similar to a DSR-315 diagnostic screen, with a bunch of hex numbers, some of which were changing, and there was message on the bottom of the screen telling how to "end the download". I just left it alone at that point. :eek::eek:

I notice it's back to standby this morning. The system status has gone from "current version F4"/ "target version F8" (yesterday afternoon) to "current version F8" / "target version 00" (this morning). Also, the response time to channel changing is faster, and the picture doesn't freeze when changing channels as it did yesterday.

Is this what happens when new firmware is downloaded?

If so, how come the receiver powers-up to receive the download?

I never had this experience with the DSR-315 with the generic dish looking at F2 only. :confused: Does that mean I never received a firmware update with the old equipment for some reason? And if so, was that because my old system was not seeing F1R?

Or maybe it's just because I don't usually stay up till 11PM......:)

Thanks for your help.....

Last edited:
J
Is this what happens when new firmware is downloaded?
yes

If so, how come the receiver powers-up to receive the download?
it has to power on to take the upgrade. Dish Network receivers do the same

I never had this experience with the DSR-315 with the generic dish looking at F2 only. :confused: Does that mean I never received a firmware update with the old equipment for some reason? And if so, was that because my old system was not seeing F1R?

Or maybe it's just because I don't usually stay up till 11PM......:)

Thanks for your help.....

They usually do upgrades late at night but the 315 may not be getting an upgrade due to being older equipment.

I'm not sure I ever got a firmware update during the 4 years my 315 was looking at F2 only.

Do the firmware downloads come from both satellites (like the guide data), or could I have not received them because my dish was not looking at F1R?

(I've put the 315 back in the box, so I'm not gonna re-hook it up to check the version, but it seems like it was always F0.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts