What don't you like about the Hopper

The only big problem I have is that the folder system is utterly useless, as I recently posted in another thread.

I don't know what trick-play problems everybody is talking about, I've seen no such thing. (Other than FF and RW won't go to faster than 4X on an EHD, but I assume that's a limitation of the hardware.)

Agree 100% on the Folders being useless! My two biggest complaints on trick play are the frequent "skip to live" that will occur for no apparent reason, and the fact that the trick play rarely works properly (if at all) on the Sirius channels, even though it used to work on the prior Dish DVRs I'd had. In both cases, the issues happen more frequently on the Joey, but still happen while watching on the Hopper, too. Ironically though, I have never had a problem going faster than 4X on EHD programming. Just the other day I was using FF to get through a really long recording and had no issue all the way up to 300X.

I don't know what trick-play problems everybody is talking about, I've seen no such thing. (Other than FF and RW won't go to faster than 4X on an EHD, but I assume that's a limitation of the hardware.)
VIP receivers have PIP trick modes; pressing position toggles between non PIP and side by side, press right arrow, enter a channel number, then pressing PIP changes the channel of the PIP window. Really wish my Hoppers would do this, also would be nice if Joeys could do PIP.

Ironically though, I have never had a problem going faster than 4X on EHD programming. Just the other day I was using FF to get through a really long recording and had no issue all the way up to 300X.

To be honest, I don't know if I've tried it with FF, because I usually just use the skip button. But I know rewind really dragged on my EHD.

Overall there really isn't much I don't like about the Hopper system. I don't care to list any of the problems because most of them have been listed on here and are not worth bringing. The problems it has are not enough to affect my opinion of the system.

By far the best receiver I've ever had. LOVE IT!

I keep an antenna on my TV so I can switch if I'm out of tuners or lose the satellite (and formerly cable) signal, therefore its easy to do a comparison of the picture quality of dish vs real ota. Dish ota looks like it's compression is high... higher than my Comcast was. Definitely less sharp in static scenes, more pixelation during fast changing scenes. Real local ota through a digital antenna is the best quality hands-down imho.

I get a beautiful picture with OTA. I used the term lousy because every time I tune to an OTA channel, there is pixilation for the first few seconds, and also at several times throughout the program. I've been tuned to OTA for football today, and it has happened several times throughout the games. That NEVER happened with my 722.

When I had my two hoppers there honestly was not much (if anything that I can remember) that I did not like.

Fantastic DVR system IMO. I still miss PTAT and auto hop.

Would like to see a new box with 5+ tuners.... I know people point to the ability to have multiple hoppers and that is a solution but something that requires me to pay more and then doesn't even work as well is not "good enough".

Also would like to see the ability for more viewing options for the dvr list....

and the biggest issue for me.... I hate that you can't resume things that are in progress recording. Really annoying with longer sporting events or even ptat.

There's nothing I don't like about the Hopper and this is coming from someone who had the Genie and liked Directv. Hoppers are excellent DVR's.

There's nothing I don't like about the Hopper and this is coming from someone who had the Genie and liked Directv. Hoppers are excellent DVR's.

Great to hear I was going to chime in as well with no issues, but didn't want to be a homer on this issue. If I had to really find something, maybe full integration if you have two, but having access to recordings is pretty darn close for me!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The only real complaints I have about the Hopper are the FF/REW oddities at times and the various UI bugs, but I could say the same thing about the 722k. Still the best DVRs around IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I think it's the best IRD I've ever had, with the exception of that unresolved optical audio drop-out problem. I'm usually not very tolerant of receiver issues, but the Hopper's other redeeming qualities make me tolerate it. Other than the unresolved optical issue, I have zero complaints about the Hopper.

I don't like double line requirement to Node, should only need one IMO. Also don't like cable brand requirements or restrictions, any 3Ghz cable that works shouldn't matter who's stupid name is on it. Also don't like how its very difficult to trouble shot issues between it and the joeys, Dish needs to put some internal things in the hopper to check for issues if there are any more of a self diagnostics. Also don't like how these are getting pushed onto people that don't have internet or don't need/want HD, far too many times are they really only needing a basic receiver not the hopper which is overkill for the average 80year old woman.

There is one feature that is "Coming", that is the ability to manually scan for a single ota signal rather than have to do a complete scan. Since I don't think any new digital channels have been activated where I live, it's not a big thing.

My needs are:
(1) pulling the EHD's USB likely (or a EHD's power often if display rather active) causes a reboot losing the recordings in progress.
(2) return from an EHD program is to main DVR listing should be to the scope of the program invoked, not forcing a new hunt.
(3) only 2 EHDs are fully supported even though more can be copied to/from simultaneously. (A lot better than 722, still.)
(4) reversible order of listings even though by-episode and by-date provides some of that.
(5) don't mess up the recorded date when sent to EHD. I don't like 02/06/2106 for all.
(6) non-existent renaming recordings including upper/lower cases beyond what 722 could do, which was initial capital.
(7) naming of EHDs so picking the right one is easier, now that there are more than 1 at a time.
(8) closed captions color (yellow is orange on my "warm" DLP) and background (translucent darker/adjustable background) and another size.
(9) retain Bluetooth setting across power switching.
(10) don't block controls when a banner is overlaying screen.
(Emphasis on EHD because I have potentially 17TB on 15 of them, say 14TB used.)
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts