What don't you like about the Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
would like a CC BUTTON on the remote,to be able to turn it on & off. lighted remote would be nice..also would like the CC to be place anywhere but over the banners put up by the program,such as over the score of the NFL game being watched....

Minor issues, overall love my Hopper and Hopper w/sling system.

1) more apps, especially mainstream apps like you can get on the ROKU
2) integrate the Hoppers better so I can see, set, edit timers across Hoppers
3) same for EHD, better integration so I can access the EHD from either Hopper as well as name the EHD.
4) better folder system for recordings

Again, I consider these minor in the big picture but would be thrilled if they adopted some of these suggestions.

I would reiterate what others have said about 2 Hopper integration. It is frustrating if you are watching a recording from a folder on the other Hopper and when finished choose the DVR option only to be sent back to your own Hopper's DVR and then, as KKlare stated, start a new hunt to get back where you were.

Now that I've lived with my new Hopper for a few days I have come to greatly appreciate the many innovations it incorporates. I love the PTAT feature and the auto skip. It's especially valuable to me because I record a lot and constantly utilize my EHD. It's faster to respond to commands than my old 722 and I'm getting used to the differences in which they display information. My one single complaint, and this is mostly because I record a lot, is the lack of information contained in the EPG banner. The 722 contained information regarding the episode number and the original air date. For some reason Dish decided not to include this with the Hopper. Now if you are looking for past shows to record, for instance episodes of "Bones", and you want to record the first season in order of showing, the only way to check the year and episode number is to hit INFO. This is no big deal if you're only looking for info on one show but very tiresome if your looking to record a season in sequence. Often times in a back to back to back to back episode run they may jump from 2009 to 2001 to 2010 to 2012. It seems like a pretty simple feature to have carried over to the Hopper. They must have thought it was worthwhile when they utilized it with the 722. You don't generally think Dish would take away useful features in their next generation DVR.

Too few folders can be created, and mine don't match up. I want "Concerts" and I have to select the blank line below "Movies" to get to it. If I'm transferring files from Hopper to EHD it shows up correctly. Why not nested folders - I remember doing that in 1977 with CP/M.

I find the search for programs process less intuitive than my 722.

The remote manager is amazing.

Rewind button is sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 30 seconds.

The ability to undelete programs has saved my sorry butt several times.

Overall, once I figured out where everything is, I really like it more than my 722/622 combo; hopefully it will be improved over time.

The software instability is my biggest complaint. Lately we have to reset the Hopper every time we come home from work so the Joey's can connect.

Still a little fuzzy on how to do some things. A show is listed on my Hopper hard drive yet when I go to transfer it to my EHD it no longer shows up on the Hopper hard drive. I know I can look this up in the manual but how do you transfer from the PTAT hard drive to the Hopper hard drive and can I transfer directly from the PTAT hard drive to my EHD?

Still a little fuzzy on how to do some things. A show is listed on my Hopper hard drive yet when I go to transfer it to my EHD it no longer shows up on the Hopper hard drive. I know I can look this up in the manual but how do you transfer from the PTAT hard drive to the Hopper hard drive and can I transfer directly from the PTAT hard drive to my EHD?

You can't transfer from the PTAT sector until the keep time expires (and you have to have set a timer or saved the show). Default is 8 days, but I believe that you can now set it to a shorter time in the PTAT menu.

It can be 0 days. Just enable PTAT but use 1 day and 1 channel and move that day ever 6 days to the day before the current one.
Then set up timers for all the programs you want and they are saved and use only the 1 tuner for the big-4.
Of course, if you want to browse all of primetime big-4, then you need the full PTAT.
You do have to watch the number of timers (96) and the number of events (576).
The latter is the one I'm hitting all the time. They should be higher.
To see the number of events, go DVR + My Recordings + Daily Schedule.
First page has the count for up to 8 days or the 576 limit until you actually record some.
Avoid too loose of name with all channels, for example, "The" will alway overflow.
-Ken

Hopper is the best receiver I've ever had. Would like to see an edit title feature (with capitalization). I record an OTA movie weekly and without program guide info, there is no way of seeing the movie title without starting the program. Being able to set recordings from one Hopper to another would be nice. Unrelated to the Hopper, there are numerous episode numbering errors in the guide that can lead you to believe that you missed an episode in the series...

Blame the guide errors on Tribune. I find the skips/missed ordering in episode numbers very annoying.

For editing titles my only suggestion (untried) would be to transfer to a non-Hopper on the same account.
This would mean an owned 211. Not sure the 211 allows re-labeling.
The 722 (not allowed) in limited to initial cap only. Lose or lose.

Sure would be nice though.
-Ken

For editing titles my only suggestion (untried) would be to transfer to a non-Hopper on the same account. This would mean an owned 211. Not sure the 211 allows re-labeling.

I don't think the EHD for the 211 DVR Conversion uses the same format as the EHD on the VIP receivers.

The remote stores the info from the Hopper. When I switched from the original Hopper to the HWS, the tech just downloaded my set up from the remote to the new HWS. No reprograming for ota locals or timers
No problem with the ehd from the 722. You can address 2 ehd's at a time. If you had a sling with the 722, one feature is missing. You cannot access your ehd from Dish Anywhere.

Another example of the Slingbox (as opposed to Dish's implementation of Sling) offering a bit more of what people want. However the Slingbox will interfere with what the person at home is watching while Dish with Sling just commandeers ONE of the 2 or 3 tuners without interfering with what the person at home watches.

I have the Slingbox 500 connected to both my Hopper (I'm the only using this Hopper) and TiVo, and I just LOVE that I can truly do ANYTHING remotely that I can do at home. I thought about getting Hopper with Sling, but I would LOSE some functionality. The program transfers to a mobile device is compelling, but now that I have a Kindle HDX that can download media content to the tablet to view with NO internet connection necessary, I will stick with the Hopper 1.0 and save myself from my bill increasing because of I would lose the original pricing of my 2 Hoppers.

-Random channels disappear out of favorite channels
-No way to show "status bar" unless you fast forward or rewind
-Timers seem a lot more confusing then they need to be (take notes from DirecTV)
-No transfer to Android Device

with all this said I love the Hopper and these are all pretty minor compare to the system I had with DTV

-Random channels disappear out of favorite channels
-No way to show "status bar" unless you fast forward or rewind
-Timers seem a lot more confusing then they need to be (take notes from DirecTV)
-No transfer to Android Device

with all this said I love the Hopper and these are all pretty minor compare to the system I had with DTV

-Agree
-Can also pause
-I think the timers are fine but Hopper needs refined conflict resolution
-That's coming soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts