What emerging new technology will mature in 2012?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Not a poll (yet) just a collection of ideas.

1. I think Streaming video will be the hottest service in 2012. Netflix will have plenty of competition and will recover most of it's losses as more and more people drop the DVD, cable, and satellite for streaming.

2. Secure smart phones will steal the remaining thunder from Blackberry as more and more businesses move from Blackberry to iphone and android phones.

3. 3D BD and 3D channels will plateau to a niche specialty. All Panel TV's will support 3D and more will be available in glasses free but the content will not be dominant. It's popularity will be somewhere between DD7.1 and DD5.1. In other words, a niche specialty. Here to stay but not the big deal the industry thought it would be immediately. Just something every TV should do if it expects to sell.

4. Home networking of movie libraries will be commercialized, meaning that Hollywood will finally embrace it with a downloadable version you can buy to store on your server as opposed to a disk you buy and rip.

1. I think tablets will mature in the coming year. With the release of iOS 5 the iPad will be very close to a mature product so 2012 is about right for the missing pieces to fall into place.

2. Streaming video will mature, big time! That is unless the internet service providers kill it...

mperdue said:
1. I think tablets will mature in the coming year. With the release of iOS 5 the iPad will be very close to a mature product so 2012 is about right for the missing pieces to fall into place.

2. Streaming video will mature, big time! That is unless the internet service providers kill it...

You nailed it. A lot is in the hands of the Internet providers, their capacity, and their greed.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Can you name one thing that was very popular that was killed by ISP's, or Hollywood for that matter? I think the biggest issue for Hollywood was people making copies to play on their own multiple players but did not conform to a DVD standard, and then Hollywood gave in and started selling the "Digital copy" system. ISP's will resolve the issue of streaming bandwidth when both technology and the tiered pricing plan based on consumption gets accepted. As long as we have competition, the buying public will eventually get their way. It's just a matter of price. Of course, when basic moral codes are broken such as stealing content and reselling it for profit is popular in some parts of the world yet Hollywood continues to enforce that. Same with stealing ISP service.

Can you name one thing that was very popular that was killed by ISP's, or Hollywood for that matter?

The CD business is on its last legs but not quite dead yet. Close enough imo.

Add on edit:

Not much of a vcr market these days either, DVD and DVR have killed that.

Swyped on my Nook color using Tapatalk Pro

You nailed it. A lot is in the hands of the Internet providers, their capacity, and their greed.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Working for an MSO (but not speaking for them) and I'd have to say greed is not worthy of inclusion. Our network is expensive to maintain and extend. Have you priced10gbps fiber runs lately?

It is a business, not an NPO and profit is part of that model. Last I checked none of the MSO companies were raking in unrealistic profits.

Swyped on my Nook color using Tapatalk Pro

Loosely related, with Sony stating they are going to move the cost of glasses to the movie theater owners next year, I wonder if we'll see that plateau and take a step back as well.

There have always been apps to chat with friends, connect to social networks, etc, but I think alternatives to SMS will be really big in the next year, as Apple and Google both introduce tighter integration of those alternatives on their market-dominating handsets and tablets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts