What features from Tivo would you like added to your E* box?

What about when you search for something it searches the name AND description. Like if the Cardinals are playing and I do a search for them it won't show up because the program is actually called MLB Baseball. So I have to manually go in and do info on all of them to find the correct one.

If I start watching a show while it is being recorded and then go to a different
show, I would like it to remember where I stopped watching. If the show is
already recorded and I stop it, it will remember where I left off but not if
the show is being recorded at the same time.
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! The HR-20 from D* also does a better job of altering end times of future recordings, easily.

Here are some features that liked a lot:
  1. TiVo always buffers both live tuners during playback. The ViPs drop the live buffer for the foreground tuner if you play a recorded show from the list, and only the background tuner continues to buffer. (single mode)
  2. The ViPs also will drop the foreground buffer if both tuners begin to record simultaneously. For example, if I have 2 shows scheduled to record at 7:00PM and the tuner I'm watching was paused awhile so that now I'm 10 minutes behind live, I'll lose those ten minutes when the recordings start. TiVo keeps it, so you can continue watching until you run out of buffer.
  3. TiVo has a nice feature that compensates for the delay between what you see onscreen and when you hit a button on the remote when coming out of fast-forward or fast-rewind. I believe this is patented.
  4. The TiVo keyword search function displays results as you type in characters, so you don't have to toggle between search criteria and results.
-OD

AS for #2, Dish DVR's warn with a pop-up that the timer will fire. This is your cue to press record on the current channel you have buffered and select "Record Remainder of Program." The DVR will will save the recording from that point forward and you will be able to watch the ending of that program while the DVR tunes to a different channel to record the the previously set timer. If it is available, a "Record Entire Program" may also be selected. One just has to know how to use a particular manufacture's STB.

Not Tivo features, but 4 things I would like to see:

1. More user favorites lists (four aren't enough).
2. Longer Favorites List Names.
3. Folders in the EHD.
4. Ability to name the folders (both in the EHD and on the main HD).

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Brad
Agreed! Enhancement of current Dish features or completely new ones are far more preferred than any Tivo features. I have nothing against Tivo, I just don't care for a lot of their "neat" features, and I have used Tivo.

However, I wouldn't mind channel logos. The that Tivo and cable have. However, when I did have channel logos, I did find not always helpful and hard to read.

lots of good stuff listed in this thread - here's some of my most missed tivo features:

tivo's guide date
- goes out 2 weeks instead of 7-8 days
- much more detailed and informative

wish lists (dish pass is a poor substitute)

tivo's much smoother ff, rw, and slo-mo (at least it was on my old hr10-250)

single channel viewing

search results as you type

tivo-to-go (never had it on the hr10, but i've seen it and want to have it)

maybe i'll wake up the old tivo later and see if there are any more i missed...

[*]The TiVo keyword search function displays results as you type in characters, so you don't have to toggle between search criteria and results.[/LIST]-OD

This feature is excellent, expecially making wishlists (DishPasses). In Tivo, I could hit "Search by director," type in "Hi," and see all the directors whose names start with "Hi." With Dish, I have to spell out the whole damn thing on that clunky interface, and it sucks.

And I agree with the buffering thing as well—was shocked that my channel wasn't still recording when I finished checking the DVR.

Another buffer issue: If I'm watching a movie or program and decide, "I don't have time to watch it, so I'll record it," my Tivo would save it as far back as the buffer went. My 722 only starts from the exact time I pressed record. Lame.

Dump the DISH interface and use Tivo's and the whole feature set. I love the swivle search and amazon Unbox download. That would really allow DISH to compete with cable with VOD-like service. Although unbox is a little pricey for rentals, I love the 99 cent specials they often have on Fridays. I usually order them at work and they are on my box by the time I get home from work for a Friday "dinner and movie." And the season pass/wishlist functionality is amazing. I set a wishlist for "Los Angeles Kings" "Sport/Hockey" "Live Events" and it hasn't missed a beat in over 4 years. And that is from cable to dish to cable back to dish.

I second the wishlist. Being able to create a list of keywords to record such as any program with a certain director, actor or movie title automatically.

Another buffer issue: If I'm watching a movie or program and decide, "I don't have time to watch it, so I'll record it," my Tivo would save it as far back as the buffer went. My 722 only starts from the exact time I pressed record. Lame.
Yeah, my wife really misses that feature. If she is channel surfing and lands on a show that turns out to be worth keeping, all she had to do on the TiVo was hit record and everything in the buffer up to that point would be saved, along with the rest of the show. With the ViP, if you miss the first couple minutes of the show, the "Record Entire Event" option is gone, and you can only record from your current position to the end.

Does anyone here know a workaround for this situation, aside from hoping to find a repeat broadcast to record later?

-OD

This is a biggie. This makes TiVo look superior.

Another one that made me wonder. I'm clicking on a program in a list to modify/view/delete it. When I come back to the list, it goes to the top of the list, not where I was in the list.

Little things like this make the interface look bad. That's not some kind of copyrighted feature, that's elementary computer interface logic.

Another one that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that when I look up a program to record it, it defaults to ALL programs when I press to record it. Since there are no TiVo-like "season pass" features, all programs of a show may well be 10 times a day on some channels that repeat a lot. So why not default to recording one program rather than ALL programs? Or default to "weekly" or "daily." Seems like ALL programs would usually be my last choice, not first.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have accidentally recorded ALL the programs when I just wanted an episode.

Last edited:

Rewind to the beginning of the buffer an press record. It will record it all.

Rewind to the beginning of the buffer an press record. It will record it all.

Awesome! You know, as I was pondering the problem a few minutes ago, I thought of this possibility, and made a mental note to check it out next time, to see if it worked. Glad it does.

TiVo also has things that aren't just quite right and you have to learn tricks to get around them. For example , the 30 second skip easter egg, and the problem of stoping a program in the last 5 minutes of the show and finding no option to rewind, just "delete" or "save."

Last edited:
I second the wishlist. Being able to create a list of keywords to record such as any program with a certain director, actor or movie title automatically.
Create that search, run it, and then it will always be saved in the Search history. I use the history much more than typing in a search by hand.

Awesome! You know, as I was pondering the problem a few minutes ago, I thought of this possibility, and made a mental note to check it out next time, to see if it worked. Glad it does.
+1

It would be cool though if they added an "Entire Event (partial)" record option to grab that buffer, or made that the default behavior.

I think modding the VIP to make them into Tivo like will make them Clunky.

Leave it the way it is, have options for menu colours, and do allow for multiroom HDDVR access through the home network from stand alone boxes will be suffice for me.

If i wanted all the features of a tivo i would have bought one we do not have TIVO if E wants to buy TIVO thats fine but they should copy what they have. Be origional.

Might sound like a minor one, but i'd love if there was audio/sound on any screen I'm on. If you're watching a game, and want to tweak something, you cant hear what you might be missing. Sometimes the further you drill down into some menus, you lose audio/sound. Also, audio/sound on the guides w/o video. i might use the extended w/o video guide if there was sound instead of deafening silence.

Might sound like a minor one, but i'd love if there was audio/sound on any screen I'm on. If you're watching a game, and want to tweak something, you cant hear what you might be missing. Sometimes the further you drill down into some menus, you lose audio/sound. Also, audio/sound on the guides w/o video. i might use the extended w/o video guide if there was sound instead of deafening silence.
Isn't that what the pause button is for? ;)