What Happened To Commercial Skip ?

Product placement seems to be on the rise. It wasn't that long ago that the items would be altered so you couldn't see a brand name. Not any more....

250043-tv-show-house-m-d.jpg
Macbooks have been prominently displayed in movies and TV shows for many years. It may have been official product placement paid for by Apple. But, I have a feeling that in the early days it was simply fanboyism, as most creative types, especially in film, video, and music, used Macs exclusively. And, they would just throw what they knew as a laptop into a scene, even if most scenes were taking place in environments where Windows PC's actually dominated in real life.

I see your period and I raise you one. From your link:
Could care less is seldom heard outside the United States, and commentators from outside North America tend to express bafflement over its existence, but it is so common in the U.S. that it is now a widely accepted idiom, meaning that it does not have to be logical. We know what it means even if the words do not literally convey that meaning.

Not to interrupt the witty banter by posting something on topic, buuuuut, No, a 7 day wait for AutoHop is NOT the end of the world, but it is a MAJOR annoyance. If you haven't used AutoHop ever you should at least try it, you'd most likely LOVE it. I bet that there is a pretty small minority of Hopper users here or anywhere that got their Hopper prior to the AutoHop launch and you can't really argue that DISH didn't make it a BIG selling point. 3 days is not unreasonable I suppose, but to me at least, 7 days is like not having it at all as the OP was wondering what happened to it. Just my 2$ (inflation).

I agree, 7 days and it might as well not exist, 3 is not unreasonable I guess. They have bills to pay too, I just get very irritated at watching the same crummy ad time after time, and now they double up the same ad

I agree, 7 days and it might as well not exist, 3 is not unreasonable I guess. They have bills to pay too, I just get very irritated at watching the same crummy ad time after time, and now they double up the same ad
Oh, you forgot you have a 'skip forward' button... ;)

I find it amazing that we as a culture are so lazy... That we can't skip out commercials on our own. Especially for a particular service that not a single person Pays for.... Maybe if you paid directly for Autohop, or if the whole home DVr fee was more expensive than everyone else's.

I paid for AH, indirectly sure, but it along with PTAT and 3 tuners was what made me upgrade to the Hopper. And there's no rule that says it won't ever have a fee! What I find amazing is the lack of empathy for others who enjoy a feature that you don't find useful (calling someone lazy for not wanting to press skip forward or making light of it in an almost bullying fashion is abhorrent to me).

I enjoy Autohop regularly but no... No one pays for it. Again, the DVr service is cheaper for whole home than any other provider. It truly is lazy to complain about continuing the channel by delaying a FREE service.

Wasn't TV invented for lazy people? A lot of innovations are for lazy people. Think of all the people that are too lazy to walk up to the set top box to change the channel and just use the remote instead. I suspect many here, myself included of course, fall into that category. Funny how complaints of DISH crippling a touted and advertised feature bring the accusations of laziness. What if next time CBS wants the skip forward button disabled for CBS shows for 7 days? Will we have more people on board then?

Wasn't TV invented for lazy people? A lot of innovations are for lazy people. Think of all the people that are too lazy to walk up to the set top box to change the channel and just use the remote instead. I suspect many here, myself included of course, fall into that category. Funny how complaints of DISH crippling a touted and advertised feature bring the accusations of laziness. What if next time CBS wants the skip forward button disabled for CBS shows for 7 days? Will we have more people on board then?
CBS wants DVRs to disappear already.

What if next time CBS wants the skip forward button disabled for CBS shows for 7 days? Will we have more people on board then?
That's a useless argument. Dish (and any provider, really) would drop CBS altogether instead of allowing something like that.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)