What Happened to Esquire?

Customers do not have to get in a contract. That is solely a choice of the customer. They can purchase all the equipment and leave whenever they would like. The contract protects the investment the company made into the customer. There is a reason the contract is not dependent on price or channel selection. It is based on service availability upon installation. That is why there is also a clause that moving does not void the contract. Dish made the investment in the initial installation and proven service could be provided there. They don't sell any channel. They sell packages, and those are sold as subject to change.

Reactions: Tampa8
I recall during the growth years when channels were added but no one said they should pay more. But when a channel got dropped, the demands for refunds would fly.

I do think DISH could have had a slate for awhile. But since national ratings are so low they probably felt they could handle the few who would care enough to call.
That said however, we don't know if it was over ratings or if they wanted an increase and DISH simply said we are parting ways. Some may feel you are 'owed' something when a channel is dropped, where that comes from I don't understand. There is no guarantee or any set amount of channels you get. Do what I thought normal people do - evaluate if you are getting the channels you want and it's cost, then try another service if it looks better. I don't want anyone to lose a channel they watch what is comical is complaining a channel was lost and somehow you are owed another one, maybe even if you didn't watch it.

As for Tvland it is way past time for HD. I'm disappointed it isn't yet I thought it would be.
national version of METV in HD would be much much better..just sayin

Reactions: DWS44
The early Termination Fee after 12 months is only $240 and you can frequently save that and more by switching. DTV usually gives you a $200 Visa Card to switch. Dish needs to keep their customers happy and smiling. And dropping channel after channel does not make me happy.

Reactions: pattykay
Did BBC World News agree in their recent contract to be allowed to be added to another tier in case another channel goes away? People assume that Dish can call any shots they want, but it's really the channel owners who call the shots.

Also, it's a bad assumption that the savings goes directly into Dish's pockets. At best it's more likely that Dish has a little more wiggle room in negotiations in the next channel owner's upcoming contract renewal, which are constantly upcoming.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41 and Tampa8
Fair point. DISH could give a channel that many watch a little more in the give and take of a contract.

They don't care who watches..just what it costs

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

That's Dish's business model......squeeze every penny you can out of the customers you have & don't worry about those that leave. Why should they? They are making basically the same profit with many less customers to service. Those that are paying the top tier $ expect to be able to view any new channel added, yet Dish added some new channels a month ago for just a specific package.

Did BBC World News agree in their recent contract to be allowed to be added to another tier in case another channel goes away? People assume that Dish can call any shots they want, but it's really the channel owners who call the shots.

Also, it's a bad assumption that the savings goes directly into Dish's pockets. At best it's more likely that Dish has a little more wiggle room in negotiations in the next channel owner's upcoming contract renewal, which are constantly upcoming.

Obviously BBC World News wants to be seen by as many people as possible. That's a no-brainer for any advertising supported channel.

Reactions: Troch77
Obviously BBC World News wants to be seen by as many people as possible. That's a no-brainer for any advertising supported channel.

I'd like to see it. I saw stuff listed today I wanted to record. But my 250 subscription ain't gonna get a ten dollar News pkg added to it. I'm guessing Dish wants to market that $10 pkg.

Hi, this is an Esquire thread... btw. Let's reign things back into Esquire, before it catapults into a completely separate discussion. One that can have its own thread.

For what it's worth, the Esquire Network billed itself as the "Metrosexual Network". Does anyone know what that means? Apparently there were less metrosexuals than they thought there were.

I was laughing at the original post that is not here anymore that was misposted. It was just humorous.