What has happened to all our "sports news"?

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
This morning, I go in CNNSI, ESPN, Yahoo Sports And Fox Sports....and of the 8-10 headline links...AT LEAST half has to do with cheating, jail, misbehavior and suspensions. I wonder if the media has become more tabloid or 40 years ago, was the behavior by our "sports heros" just as bad, but the media would turn a blind eye because they wanted to be "on of the guys"..?

This morning, I go in CNNSI, ESPN, Yahoo Sports And Fox Sports....and of the 8-10 headline links...AT LEAST half has to do with cheating, jail, misbehavior and suspensions. I wonder if the media has become more tabloid or 40 years ago, was the behavior by our "sports heros" just as bad, but the media would turn a blind eye because they wanted to be "on of the guys"..?

Oh come on. This happens every year during the months of July and August. It's the off-season for most sports. The only thing going on right now is Baseball and other than a handful of teams, everyone else is out of any sort of race. Since we have a lack of sports to cover, their is more focus on "extra curricular" activities. It'll all be back page news once the NFL kicks off in a few short weeks. Hang on, it'll be ok....

Oh come on. This happens every year during the months of July and August. It's the off-season for most sports. The only thing going on right now is Baseball and other than a handful of teams, everyone else is out of any sort of race. Since we have a lack of sports to cover, their is more focus on "extra curricular" activities. It'll all be back page news once the NFL kicks off in a few short weeks. Hang on, it'll be ok....

LOL!! Dude, believe me...I am the LEAST fan boy here when it comes to individual athletes. I LOVE my teams, but DO NOT love individual players anymore. I do not see them as GODs, but human beings....they put on their pants the same way, brush their teeth the same way and go to the bathroom the same way. They love, they hurt and they are jealous just like everybody else. When they screw up, they were human..... and the sooner we teach this to our younger generation, the better. I was behind Charles Barley 100% with his "I am not a role model" campaign.

...Believe me when I say, this becoming more tabloid media daily. I remember our team covering the Bulls and the Blackhawks in the 90s....and then, the media was different.

LOL!! Dude, believe me...I am the LEAST fan boy here when it comes to individual athletes. I LOVE my teams, but DO NOT love individual players anymore. I do not see them as GODs, but human beings....they put on their pants the same way, brush their teeth the same way and go to the bathroom the same way. They love, they hurt and they are jealous just like everybody else. When they screw up, they were human..... and the sooner we teach this to our younger generation, the better. I was behind Charles Barley 100% with his "I am not a role model" campaign.

...Believe me when I say, this becoming more tabloid media daily. I remember our team covering the Bulls and the Blackhawks in the 90s....and then, the media was different.

Calling the media "more tabloid" sounds like an insult.

I would call them "more responsible" instead, only because we as a nation have the right to the truth. What's the point of covering things up, like they used to? Don't journalists owe it to their readers to tell the whole truth?

It's a slow time for sports. I come to the Sports Section here daily, but I don't have much to say because I don't feel like talking about Michael Vick, Lawrence Phillips, or Rick Pitino. Football can't get here soon enough!

Calling the media "more tabloid" sounds like an insult.

I would call them "more responsible" instead, only because we as a nation have the right to the truth. What's the point of covering things up, like they used to? Don't journalists owe it to their readers to tell the whole truth?

Journalist only owe us the story.....that is it. IF you buy it or I buy it....it is on us. IF you want the truth....you investigate it YOURSELF. I mean it always boils down to that old saying, "there are THREE sides to EVERY story.....YOUR side, THEIR side...and the truth...."

40 years ago you didn't have the 24 hour "sports" channels on TV or obviously the interweb. There's a lot of competition (i.e ratings/page hits) for "news" and unfortunately what sells these days is off-the-field controversy.

Who wants to read about an athlete's charitable contributions, or their great accomplishments in last night's games anyway?? ;)

40 years ago you didn't have the 24 hour "sports" channels on TV or obviously the interweb. There's a lot of competition (i.e ratings/page hits) for "news" and unfortunately what sells these days is off-the-field controversy.

Who wants to read about an athlete's charitable contributions, or their great accomplishments in last night's games anyway?? ;)

YEP!

What are you guys talking about? The dog days of August and September are the best months for sports, period. This is when the baseball races start to get interesting; when every game has more meaning; when people start taking some teams (like the Giants, Rockies, and Marlins) seriously.

There is no doubt that the worst months are February and March, when the Bowl games and Superbowl are done and baseball has yet to start. The only things going on are Hockey and Basketball, the two lowest rated and least watched sports in America, of our top 4.

You also didn't have stuff like Youtube or Twitter. Without Youtube how would we have even known that Josh Howard dissed the National Anthem? To it's advantage, technology has given us more access into athletes lives. But it's a two-way street. The new citizen journalism with cell phone cameras, the aforementioned Youtube and instant access to the Internet through wireless connections that makes it easier to disseminate information. Although if you think about it, it all began with Drudge and Lewinsky-gate back in the 90's. He was the only one on that story until the MSM was forced to report it.

I believe media is no more sensationalized now than it was years ago...but there is more media now than there used to be.

My dad always told us about the crazy headlines every day in the NY tabloids 30 years ago in the Yankees' Bronx Zoo days. All the articles about how Thurman hates Reggie, Reggie hates Billy Martin, Billy Martin hates George, George hates everyone who doesn't win...it was endless.

I'm sure there were also plenty of stories back then that are now long forgotten about. Just like in 30 years people will long forget about TO, Rick Pitino, Donte Stallworth, and many things that are dominating the headlines right now.

Sandra

What are you guys talking about? The dog days of August and September are the best months for sports, period. This is when the baseball races start to get interesting; when every game has more meaning; when people start taking some teams (like the Giants, Rockies, and Marlins) seriously.

There is no doubt that the worst months are February and March, when the Bowl games and Superbowl are done and baseball has yet to start. The only things going on are Hockey and Basketball, the two lowest rated and least watched sports in America, of our top 4.

That's HIGHLY debatable. There's a reason why these months are called the Dog Days after all....

That's HIGHLY debatable. There's a reason why these months are called the Dog Days after all....
It has nothing to do with sports, it is because it is the summertime (aka the dog days of summer). It is from the latin, "Caniculae, Caniculares dies", which refers to the hottest days of summer (July through September). It was more of a paradoxical statement on my part. IOW, the slow hot least productive days of summer in society as a whole are marked by one of the best times in sports as a whole. Perhaps it is because everything is hot and slow that people find baseball a great past-time to get through the dog days?

I agree. In August and September, there are the forementioned penant races and the excitment of the new football season...for us southeasterners, the whole anticipation of whether a hurricane is gonna kick our a$$ or not.;)

I agree. In August and September, there are the forementioned penant races and the excitment of the new football season...for us southeasterners, the whole anticipation of whether a hurricane is gonna kick our a$$ or not.;)
That is the other thing about this month that I forgot to mention. IT is like Christmas Eve for us football fans. Knowing that just around the corner our Sunday's (and Saturday days for us College Football fans) will be full of even more excitement. The rest of the week for us baseball fans are full of exciting pennant races (which are often more exciting than some of the playoff series them selves).

No other sport has exciting "pennant races" like they do in baseball. Perhaps because so many teams in other sports make it to the playoffs anyway and their season is much shorter.

What are you guys talking about? The dog days of August and September are the best months for sports, period. This is when the baseball races start to get interesting; when every game has more meaning; when people start taking some teams (like the Giants, Rockies, and Marlins) seriously..

EXACTLY! Some folks just go from sport to sport till (hopefully) their selected team becomes a winner. If they don't show promise by mid-season, it's on to the next sport. :rolleyes:

I'll give you February...but March??? That's March Madness baby (cue bad Dick Vitale impression :))

I'll give you February...but March??? That's March Madness baby (cue bad Dick Vitale impression :))
True...Forgot about that. Not a basketball fan myself, which is why I forgot. All though I don't care for it, I can see that it is definitely an exciting time in sports in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)