What has happened to all our "sports news"?

I'll give basball its due when they get to late September and October. August baseball is no more exciting than May baseball, which is no more exciting than Spring Training. Every game counts is the most useless phrase when it comes to baseball. When you've got 162 games most of them don't count. Even the best teams lose 40% of their games. Now once you get down to the last coulple of weeks or the playoffs then it's do or die. Right now it's like watching the 18th mile of a marathon. Wake me when the finish line is in sight.

I'll give basball its due when they get to late September and October. August baseball is no more exciting than May baseball, which is no more exciting than Spring Training. Every game counts is the most useless phrase when it comes to baseball. When you've got 162 games most of them don't count. Even the best teams lose 40% of their games. Now once you get down to the last coulple of weeks or the playoffs then it's do or die. Right now it's like watching the 18th mile of a marathon. Wake me when the finish line is in sight.
:rolleyes: Most of them don't count?

So when you win your division by 1 game, that 1 extra game you win is April does not count as much as the one in September?

Sorry, but this is the most irrational argument I have heard. Of course every game counts. Every game counts in every sport. A win in April is just as important as a win in September.

The fact that there is little difference between the winning percentages of teams in first and last and you do not have half of the league going to the playoffs as a wild card makes every game count even more.

This morning, I go in CNNSI, ESPN, Yahoo Sports And Fox Sports....and of the 8-10 headline links...AT LEAST half has to do with cheating, jail, misbehavior and suspensions. I wonder if the media has become more tabloid or 40 years ago, was the behavior by our "sports heros" just as bad, but the media would turn a blind eye because they wanted to be "on of the guys"..?

It was just as bad back then, but the media didn't talk about it.

What are you guys talking about? The dog days of August and September are the best months for sports, period. This is when the baseball races start to get interesting; when every game has more meaning; when people start taking some teams (like the Giants, Rockies, and Marlins) seriously.

There is no doubt that the worst months are February and March, when the Bowl games and Superbowl are done and baseball has yet to start. The only things going on are Hockey and Basketball, the two lowest rated and least watched sports in America, of our top 4.

I feel the same way. Baseball is my favorite sport of course though.

:rolleyes: Most of them don't count?

So when you win your division by 1 game, that 1 extra game you win is April does not count as much as the one in September?

Sorry, but this is the most irrational argument I have heard. Of course every game counts. Every game counts in every sport. A win in April is just as important as a win in September.

The fact that there is little difference between the winning percentages of teams in first and last and you do not have half of the league going to the playoffs as a wild card makes every game count even more.
Yeah, but there is a lot more interest in the games at the end of the season. Nobody cares about the random Thursday afternoon games that are played throughout the season. Who cares about the standings in May? With so much season in front of you it makes no difference. Once you get down to the end of September it's different.

Yeah, but there is a lot more interest in the games at the end of the season. Nobody cares about the random Thursday afternoon games that are played throughout the season. Who cares about the standings in May? With so much season in front of you it makes no difference. Once you get down to the end of September it's different.
There is certainly more interest, which is why my first post mentioned the fact that this is the best time in the baseball season. To say that most games don't mean anything is ridiculous.

That is the other thing about this month that I forgot to mention. IT is like Christmas Eve for us football fans. Knowing that just around the corner our Sunday's (and Saturday days for us College Football fans) will be full of even more excitement. The rest of the week for us baseball fans are full of exciting pennant races (which are often more exciting than some of the playoff series them selves).

No other sport has exciting "pennant races" like they do in baseball. Perhaps because so many teams in other sports make it to the playoffs anyway and their season is much shorter.

By this point in the season, 2/3rds of the league is out of it. This is the reason a lot of fan bases are lost this time of the year. Two reasons for this: 1) the MLB system is broken. Without a salary cap, mid-market teams can't compete fairly. 2) After so many games in a 162 game schedule, it's just a matter of math. Some teams have dug themselves too big of a hole to compete in the pennant race. Especially since the field of potential wild card entrants is limited to 1 per league.

Now, I'm sure it is exciting for the fans with competing teams, but for the rest of America, we've got nothing else to fall back on. At least in February we have our choice of NBA Basketball, Hockey or College Basketball. In July and August, the only other option is Golf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)