What is a good receiver with motor control

Status
Please reply by conversation.

global0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
37N, 121W
I am looking for a receiver with good motor control function, whether it is DiSEqC or USLAS. What is your experience/opinion about your receivers?

My Pansat 3500 is great and real easy to learn. I only have one receiver and do not have experence with others so please take it with a grain of salt.

BTW the pictures comming off the 3500 are great ! Sometimes better than what I get from Dish :)

Thanks Sweepy. I am interested to know how easy it is to work with the motor control feature of the receiver? as an example I would like to store a few locations as sat1, sat2, sat3, etc and be sure that it can go to these locations repeatedly. Most importantly is probably the "null" position aka "true south".

I've used many receivers with a motor function and my favorites are
-Pansat 1500 & 3500
-Fortec Classic

The Coolsat 5000 works good but (IMO) I think the nudge is too much (nudges too far)

My experience is somewhat simular to Sweepy. I have a Pansat 3500s and I also have a Coolsat 5000, not to mention a Manhattan that is pretty old and I'm not sure if it will do USALS, but I know it will do Diseqc commands. I've always used the Manhattan as a split-off slave from a C-band dish, until recently when I set it up on my old Direcway (DirecPC) dish, fixed for G10 at my niece's house. The Pansat has been on an 80cm dish until a week or so ago when I changed it to my 1.2m dish. It works excellent with USALS, and take note I'm a USALS man and don't bother with Diseqc. Some people use Diseqc for bumping the dish one way or the other, among other things/use's. I go into USALS and change the Sat location to whatever I need to get it right on, never use Diseqc. The Coolsat was on the 1.2m dish and I've moved it to the 80cm dish. While on the 1.2m, when traveling uphill, it would rarely land on the sat, to me that was to much of a hastle. Now on the 80cm, no more problems. I haven't had that problem with the Pansat, yet. I'm not trying to deter you from a Coolsat in any way. It's an excellent receiver. All receivers have different features that seem to be better than others. Who can say which one is the best. On the Coolsat the best feature to me over the Pansat, is the remote. The remote is considerably larger (finger space) on the Coolsat, the Pansat is really small. On the other hand, with the Pansat, you can get a UHF remote to use throughout the house, which is a very nice feature over the Coolsat, even though it has small buttons on the remote. So many things to consider when getting a receiver. The biggest factor usually being the $$$$.

Al

I like and use the Fortec Classic NA and the new Traxis DBS 3500, I have had and installed MANY receivers and these two are by far the best I have come across!

One feature I really like on my CaptiveWorks receiver is the auto position. It goes east , then west until it locks in the best signal, automatically. Another thing I like is the way it says "moving dish" and counts down the seconds until you're almost to the next sat. Very easy to learn too. Only no blind scan feature. That's probably enough to keep a lot of folks away.

All I can say is that the Coolsat works fantastic with my Stab 120, no problems. I had a bad experience with the Pansat 3500 and Traxis 3500, they both suffered a form of alzheimers and sometimes would not return to the proper place or just leave the "moving" screen on when it was not moving....

Great, thanks guys.
[detour :) (suggestion:after reading all the banned and slammed posts, we need to have a special area where all of these threads are moved to. makes a nice "R&R" reading area ;) ]

I took a few moments and did some research on the rcvr's that have been suggested here and put together the attached list (plz see the excel sheet).
It looks like the PANSAT 3500 SD has the widest support for motor control. Is anyone using it with DiSEqC and/or USLAS motor(s)?

Attachments

• motor-controls.xls
    17.5 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I use it with USALS. The Diseqc works. I just don't use it. I do use Diseqc switches, I just don't use the Diseqc commands. All my dishes are motorized and controlled by a different receiver and the Diseqc switches allow me to use the different receivers with the separate dishes. If I had any fixed dishes in my set-up (which I don't), I probably would use the Diseqc commands.

Al

vfrjim said:
All I can say is that the Coolsat works fantastic with my Stab 120, no problems. I had a bad experience with the Pansat 3500 and Traxis 3500, they both suffered a form of alzheimers and sometimes would not return to the proper place or just leave the "moving" screen on when it was not moving....

I have the Traxis 3500 over 2 Month and use it with a SG2100 from DMSI without problem and use it also with the DP710, Actudor 24" from Moteck and a 2.4m Dish. I use a Manual switch to change from C to KU, I try it also with a DiSEqC, but with problem, the Sat on DiSEqC 1 not problem but it will some time lose the Sat on DiSEqC 2.
I have also the Stab 120, but I don't use it, have replace it with the SG2100, the problem on the Stab is the limit from East to West.
I have had also the Pansat 3500 ( will not buy it again), Pansat 5000HC and the Pansat 2700, I don't like the Picture on the Pansat, the Traxis 2500 and 4500 and the Satwork have the best Picture, the Traxis 3500 it's no so good.
The Coolsat 4000pro I only test on C Band it's easy to use, but very poor PAL to NTSC.
My favorit now, is the Traxis 3500. I have tested over 30 Digital Receiver.

Saludos
Hiebert

Edit: I use the SG2100 with USALS.

:up

Same here I LOVE my Traxis DBS 3500 one of the BEST satellite receivers I have used in the last 20 years!

I use a pansat 3500 with a moteck motor, I noticed it was always close but not right on using USALS so I use DiSEqC 1.2 with no problems. it always returns right to the sat and channel.

Ok, reading the recent responses and also considering the price, it looks like Traxis 3500 is the best option. It looks like it does USLAS but it wasn't mentioned in the manual that I found online. Oh well.

Now, heading to PSBSatellite.com :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)