What is a scalar ring and what exactly does it do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I asked the entire question in the thread title. :)

Once there's an answer to this maybe it should be in the FAQ.

A scalar ring is the ring you see around C-Band LNBs, because the focal distance (Size of dish vs. the LNBs distance away from the dish) for dishes is different the scaler ring is used to adjust how much of the dish the LNB will see. If the LNB sees more area than the dish it will pick up additional noise, if it sees less area than the dish it is like having a smaller dish.

I don't really understand that at all. In all the pictures I've seen the scalar ring is outside of the "tube" and at or behind the opening, so how could it possibly affect signal bouncing from the dish face into the tube?

Pictures or diagrams illustrating the effect would be nice. :)

I was about to say that was a very succint explanation, I have never heard it put that way before...but then I read Pepper's post.

Not only that, I just noticed I used "affect" and "effect" correctly! :D But still have no idea what the thing actually does.

I don't really understand that at all. In all the pictures I've seen the scalar ring is outside of the "tube" and at or behind the opening, so how could it possibly affect signal bouncing from the dish face into the tube?

Pictures or diagrams illustrating the effect would be nice. :)

Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

If you go to : F/D Setting/Scalar Adjustment

on that site, you will find diagrams, and some explatations.

Interesting,according to that link they are noise interference rings. They look like they are in the realm of waveguide and microwave cavity magic. I take it that they function as unwanted radiation QRM eliminators.

In all feedhorns the scaler rings reject thermal noise (kelvin), TI, etc from beyond the edges of the dish. Also normal feedhorns such as (Chaparral) the scaler rings act as a choke plate to cut off noise and out of focus energy being picked up by the feedhorn throat. In a dual mode hybrid feed (ADL) the moding chambers take this out of focus energy, puts it back in phase to be used as good signal. This is why a properly set up ADL (dual mode hybrid feed) such as a RP1-C will out perform a Chaparral.

Last week I was on I-55 going through West Memphis and I saw a large Commercial C-Band TVRO in a horizon to horizon sweep and vertically truncated design. It also has a matching "waveguide" slotted aperature for the LNB. Anyone have information about this design?

I tried running all that stuff through the google greek-to-english translator but it didn't help. :D

I am learning, slowly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)