What is fasication with Birdview Dishes??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
I was wondering why does everyone get excited over a Birdview dish? Are they better than any of the other brands from back in the day??

Just curious.

Bob

I'm hoping to be able to tell you shortly. I'd always read good things about them, especially when paired with a horizon-to-horizon mount. That is why I purchased the ones from linuxman. They are both 8' dishes (one perforated and one solid), and I'm told that they will have no problem receiving the S2 C-band broadcasts.

I have one. I got my first big dish by stopping at a house and asking about it. As I was installing it on my roof, I noticed another big dish half a block away. It was a Birdview solid with HH motor. One day I went over there just to compare big dish notes, and the guy gave it to me. I cut the pole off at the ground in a few minutes with a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

After doing the magnet modification, I finally installed it a month later. I have not had as much luck with S2 signals, but the dish moves fast, is accurate, and doesn't look bad either

It is one of my prized possessions. Basically they have never made a dish this good for the consumer, and most people in the know say it's probably better than most commercial dishes.

I love my BV, I have had no problem yet with DVB-S2 5/6 signals. I am using a AZbox Ultra, and have a DMS 741 LNB. I machined out the scalar to fit the LNB and am using a 48 count rotary encoder for feedback to the Gbox mover. Main reason I like my dish so much is everything on it is HEAVY DUTY! This dish was built to last. The pivot bolt is a 1" grade 8, the built in H-H drive system is built heavier than most rack and pinion steeling systems in a car. The worm gear is about an 1-1/4 in diameter, and the "rack gear" is a solid 1/2 thick plate with the gear teeth cut into it. I also has a 6" pole so everything is held firmly in the ground.

I would add that I think the worm gear (instead of actuator pivot points like other dishes) seem to hold up in the wind great! Definitely the dish I was using to watch the Kennedys miniseries during its run because every evening was very windy (gusty with 30-35mph sustained) and the birdview was rock solid with no blocky errors whereas my other 2 c-band dishes had occasional signal loss during gusts. also works great on ku-band. definitely the most solid built dish I own, although I wish it was 10 foot for receiving some of those dvb-s2 high FEC signals (works great on most S2 stuff in the arc since it's a reasonable fec like 5/6 or 3/4).

I sold the dishes in the 1980's. We actually at times would demonstrate their heavy-duty build by a salesman going out and sitting IN the dish. Still had signal, back in the analog days, and the dish didn't move a degree!

They were first with dual LNB's feeding multiple receivers, and at the time, a horizon to horizon mount was unheard of with a build like the BV! Combine that with the heavy pole, a mount that couldn't tilt when locked down, and the list goes on...and on......as other posters here have said!

Just darn good American Engineering of days gone by!

Attachments

• birdview PR pic.jpg
    birdview PR pic.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 258
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts