What is Locast

Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are both available on Locast now. That brings the current total to nine cities.

Locast can legally charge for their service, but they need to be able to prove they're only charging "the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service."

17 U.S. Code § 111 - Limitations on exclusive rights: Secondary transmissions of broadcast programming by cable (Sub-section 5)
It would only be a matter of time before the station owners swarm on them like locus, demanding their cut for retransmission. In fact, by what it sounds like right now, the owners already get a cut, hence the need for donations.

It would only be a matter of time before the station owners swarm on them like locus, demanding their cut for retransmission. In fact, by what it sounds like right now, the owners already get a cut, hence the need for donations.

I think that will depend on whether the courts uphold Locast's contention that they're exempt from retransmission fees under the non-profit provisions of 17 USC 111. The current costs appear to be primarily for the equipment and bandwidth needed for each location. Donations to the organization are not a charge for the service...

These guys are 'Dead Men Walking' as soon as they get just a bit bigger. It'll be just the same as Aereo, regardless of the lie that they "aren't charging for service". Nope, just begging for money like Wikipedia does every other week.

That's what will be used against them in the coming lawsuit. The Robber Barons are NEVER going to give up their Retrans Fee's without a fight, because if they don't defend them, they'll lose them for sure to groups like this.

These guys are 'Dead Men Walking' as soon as they get just a bit bigger. It'll be just the same as Aereo, regardless of the lie that they "aren't charging for service". Nope, just begging for money like Wikipedia does every other week.

That's what will be used against them in the coming lawsuit. The Robber Barons are NEVER going to give up their Retrans Fee's without a fight, because if they don't defend them, they'll lose them for sure to groups like this.
The good ole days when OTA was all there was

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I’m confused by a combination of a few posts here. Are Smart DNS and location spoofing the same thing? And if they are different, would I need both of them plus a VPN for different locals?

I’m confused by a combination of a few posts here. Are Smart DNS and location spoofing the same thing? And if they are different, would I need both of them plus a VPN for different locals?
Depends on the VPN...if your VPN can fool Netflix...it will work on locast....turn your VPN on...if you don't get an error message when you play a Netflix movie..you are good to go

Is this still working for anyone? I played with it for a few days back in February and it worked fine. Now I get an error every time I try it. I looked at their Facebook page and there are lots of complaints about the same issues with no reply from Locast.

Is this still working for anyone? I played with it for a few days back in February and it worked fine. Now I get an error every time I try it. I looked at their Facebook page and there are lots of complaints about the same issues with no reply from Locast.
You have to register or it times out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)