What is Orby TV?????

Very true, but the up-front costs are much higher for satellite than streaming video. Also, due to the way commercial bandwidth/CDN contracts work, the more you commit to, the less you pay per amount transferred. So, the more your customer base grows, the less it costs you to serve your customers on a per-customer basis. I am unsure at which point(s) the economics favor one or the other. Also, content acquisition costs apparently make up a disproportionate amount of the total for on-demand streaming, and I am unsure if/how that comes into play here or not.
Streaming = almost 0 truck rolls..thats a huge savings...streamers are far less complex than a sat box = huge savings..

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ncted
The bandwidth for this service is likely about $250k per month. Based on current distribution contracts for small providers, approx. 60% of their package cost will probably be for programming. Doesn't take too many customers at $20 to break even. In their case, I would guess that point to be at or less than 1k subscribers.

$250K/month would likely require customers numbering in the tens of thousands of subscribers. The content doesn't come free and there are no big discounts if you count your customers in the thousands.

Going back to the HDHomerun Premium TV example, they offer the same channel count with the "bonus" of ESPNs for $35 so maybe your clearing $15/month ($.61/channel). $250K/15 is 16,000 customers and that doesn't leave much if any room for overhead.

DISH is paying around $721 to install systems for existing subscribers (averaging somewhere between two and three TVs?) so they're not making any money there.

Then there is the cost of billing for a small-timer and even if they contract that out, it is likely to be measured in dollars per month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very curious to know what their dish size will be
We get that as it is the second time you've asked that question in a little over two hours.

You know how big a Ku DBS dish needs to be and it appears that they've gone large by using an elliptical dish (perhaps because they're using the NAFTA beam of a Mexican satellite slot that isn't exactly hot in the non-coastal regions of CONUS).

The one thing I find unique is that the polarization is linear and that will surely make installation more interesting for those not familiar with FTA.

Reactions: truckracer
Just had an add pop up for it on Facebook.

IMG_3137.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)