What is Orby TV?????

This service looks pretty terrible. I feel sorry for the poor folks living so far outside of civilization that this kind of service is the only way that they can get any television content. $528 minimum for this service annually plus the $150 installation fee plus the $200 DVR box fee.

I think I'd rather just buy cheap Blu-ray TV boxsets off eBay and Amazon and have them shipped to me if I lived somewhere with such terrible Internet access that it put me in these dire straits.
OK I gotta ask! Ten pages of discussion ABOUT A PAY TV SERVICE IN THE FTA SECTION?????? Come on guys, there's a place for this and it isn't here!! Dayumn! :offtopic

There's not a forum for this provider so there isn't a better place for this anywhere else yet.

Also you should probably update your display settings to show you more posts per page... this thread is only two pages for me ;)

OK I gotta ask! Ten pages of discussion ABOUT A PAY TV SERVICE IN THE FTA SECTION?????? Come on guys, there's a place for this and it isn't here!! Dayumn! :offtopic
Well to be fair some of it started off FTA, while in testing. Also like Vic said we have no proper forum for it yet. It is a cheaper add-on to FTA for those that what to pay a little and nice thing about it is, you can use your existing FTA equipment to tune this in...minus the receiver of course.
Give it a few days to settle in and us to figure out how we want to add it to SatelliteGuys. ;)

All Symantec’s now as they are using MPEG 4 and HEVC encoding.

If it were an HD MPEG 2 channel that would be a different beast.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Pish-posh. Let the moderators handle it. Neither you nor I hold that position. If someone hadn't of posted this in the FTA forum none of us probably would of known about it as I don't go to the other forums on this website. In addition most of us already have the dishes and lnb's to work with this service and for a $100 receiver and month to month with some basic channels it is of interest to a number of us. I dropped Charlie several years ago because of the price gouging but I've done FTA for over 20 years at the same time. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a handful of interesting channels that we can't legally get FTA. Yeah, most of these are SD currently but wouldn't look any worse than a number of SD channels we currently get FTA. To be able to get the History and Discovery channels makes it something to think about personally even if they are standard definition. With the HEVC codec they might not look as bad at those bitrates as one might think.

Reactions: truedowneast
Got to say these channels are a lot better offering and a lot cheaper monthly and in equipment costs then the Glen service.

I am excited by this new service. its nice to have choices! I love the fact its pre paid.. no bills. Only activate it when you want it. That is awesome.

Also awesome that my favorite channels are in the basic package. With everyone else they are in the top rate package. :D

Reactions: ncted
Interesting service to say the least.
The misses would not like it since her favorite Hallmark is not in the package deal but I say it is a service that is overdue.

I'm not so sure. They're cramming, what, 50 channels on to 2 transponders? That's like an OTA station with a bunch of diginets

We will have to hear back from Titanium as he plays around with it for awhile to see how it looks. I have a 4K TV like many that upscales and if the bitrate of an SD channel isn't totally crappy it really doesn't look that bad. Pretty obvious it's standard definition but watchable.

What kind of encryption are they using? Anyone know who manufactures the receivers? They appear to be very small form factor. Does the one with the DVR have dual tuners?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sim card like a phone? Can you put that sim card into the CAS slot into are receivers? So instead of by another receiver we can use what we have.

This service looks pretty terrible. I feel sorry for the poor folks living so far outside of civilization that this kind of service is the only way that they can get any television content. $528 minimum for this service annually plus the $150 installation fee plus the $200 DVR box fee.

Connected to a 55" 4k, I can tell which channels are HD and which are SD. The PQ on these HEVC 8PSK SD channels is good and nothing like the bit starved DVBS or S2 SD channels on other FTA services like 97w. The HD channels look excellent.

My basic receiver system cost $107 with California tax. No contract, no disconnect or reconnect fees and $40 each month including tax ($480 annually). :cool:

At least with a new service it adds a bit of new news to an area that’s been pretty dormant for a while. Could be a nice alternative for those looking living in rural areas

The STB is sold with a SIM card installed into a SIM reader slot (not a CAS CAM). Nagravision is linked to a specific receiver, so the SIM card would not be interchangeable with other STBs. I assume that the ORBY TV service uses the Nagravision encrypted stream mode to prevent hacking and that was likely a condition to distribute the programming packages.

The receiver ID shows the manufacturer as KAON.

Can they spill the beans by showing at least 1 or 2 FTA channels by rotating different program stations every 30 days or so. For example CNN and Discovery for 30 days after 30 days switch over to FOX News and BBC America. Every once a month change the samples channels again.:)

What you think of it?:bounce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts