What is special about satellite in Shreveport and Providence?

gokuruya

Original poster
May 12, 2012
sf bay
I am trying to figure out why Shreveport, LA has 60% penetration of Directv/dish while Providence, RI has 8% according to:

The data are at the tv advertising bureau: Home > Planning & Buying > Comparative Media > Cable & ADS > Penetration by DMA

It is more than urban/rural and population density and income. For example, why is Tampa 14% but Miami 25%?

Would love to hear from the experts here..

The biggest factor probably is cable penetration and the quality of the cable company. If the cable company has a good lineup and a killer triple play, the satellite industry has trouble competing. If the cable is lousy satellite companies move right in.

Remember that even though cable companies have the same name (like lets say Time Warner), their channel lineups, prices and offerings vary with every town. They are more of a collection of small cable companies. Dish/DIRECTV offer the same nationwide.

cnmurray8 said:
I believe in Providence that some of the cable systems my also provide some Boston stations while satellite can not. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

can't say for sure but my daughter lives in southeastern mass not far from the RI border and she has both boston and providence stations on her cable.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)