What is the best way to combine Cable TV + FTA on Coolsat 6000 premium?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cozabayan

Oct 25, 2009
georgia
Dear people,

I have charter basic TV cable, a satellite dish, and coolsat 6000 premium receiver. What is the best way for me to be able to enjoy both worlds, cable tv and FTA with minimum effort on switching coaxes or button presses on the receiver? I would like to be able to split these capability to multiple rooms as well.

I got :
- Coolsat 4x1 LNB switch,
- separator switch that has INPUT, SATELLITE1, and SATELLITE2 ports.
- DPD2 switch that has IN/OUT, VHF/UHF, and SAT ports
- regular splitters

any information leading to enlighten of this newbie will be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Hi!,
Sounds like you have everything that you need. This should not be too difficult. You will need a total of 2 DPD2 Diplexers.

OUTSIDE:
1. Go outside and find the location where your cable feed is coming to the home. There should be a splitter there where it is feeding all of your rooms in the home.
2.. Take your DPD2 "diplexer" and put your satellite dish feed into port "SAT".
3. Make a small jumper and run one end to the VHF/UHF port on the DPD2 Diplexer and the other to your cable splitters "out" port.
4. Find the cable line that is going into your home and put that in the DPD2 Diplexer "IN" port.
5. Go back into your home and make sure you are still getting your cable TV. If so, Then everything so far is correct.

INSIDE:
1. Make 2 small cable jumpers (around 12" is fine)
2. The cable line that is coming in run it into the "IN" port on your DPD2 Diplexer.
3. DPD2 Diplexer - Run a jumper from the UHF/VHF port to your cable STB or if you do not have cable STB, Run it straight into your TV.
4. DPD2 Diplexer - Run a jumper from the SAT port to your coolsat 6000 satellite in.

Now you should have both Satellite TV and Cable TV on one cable line.

Now hook up your Cable box and your satellite box to your TV using RCA, composite or component cables wich ever you choose. Then using your TV remote, You can toggle from input 1, input 2, Component 1, component 2, TV, Video 1, Video 2 or how ever you have connected your STB.

See attachment: The Antenna pictured will be your Charter feed.
NOTE: Picture shows your cable feed (INDOORS) going into your satellite receiver, You may install it this way but if you have a Charter STB, connect the UHF/VHF feed directly into your Charter STB.

Attachments

• diplexer.gif
    diplexer.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,254
Last edited:
Combining cable with a FTA signal can be problematic.

We noted a major increase of trouble calls from Glorystar customers with diplexers when the cable companies began to offer digital or additional channels that used the expanded Ultra Band services. Harmonics from lower frequencies can also cause interference with weaker FTA signals. Most consumer satellite receivers tune from 950 - 2150MHz and these frequencies are often used by cable companies for services or suffer from interference from lower channels.

We recommend that diplexers are not used for FTA installs.

If your cable company has services assigned the frequencies listed below, diplexers will not work as there is a conflict with the IF frequencies traveling from the LNBF.
CH# - Video - Audio ( Frequencies posted in MHz)
150 - 949.25 - 953.75
151 - 955.25 - 959.75
152 - 961.25 - 965.75
153 - 967.25 - 971.75
154 - 973.25 - 977.75
155 - 979.25 - 983.75
156 - 985.25 - 989.75
157 - 991.25 - 995.75
158 - 997.25 - 1001.75

Try this: Mirror the RF output of your satellite box so the channel that is selected on the satellite receiver will be available on any TV.

Primary TV: Connect cable coax to TV ANT Input - Satellite Receiver to TV AV input. TV is then toggled between ANT input for connection for cable TV and the AV input for satellite. Connect satellite Receiver RF (TV output) to the input of a splitter and run drops to additional TVs.
-----
2nd TV: A/B switch between cable coax and coax from splitter connected to the satellite receiver or Connect the coax cable to the TV ANT connection and the coax cable from the satellite receiver to a VCR and connect the VCR to the TV AV input. TV is then toggled between ANT connection for cable and the AV input for satellite.
-----
3rd TV: Same as 2nd TV
-----
4th TV: Same as 2nd TV
-----
5th, 6th, 7th, etc.

Last edited:
I thought some of the cable channels fell in the 900 band. your lnb IF is 950-1450 mhz or 2150 if its stacked.

sounds like there may be a conflict if the frequencies overlap. If it's feasable just run another another coax.

I get excellent results combining my CS6000 satellite receiver output with our cable tv using a frequency agile rf modulator and a Next Generation Remote Extender (these are not too expensive and are available from Satellite AV and/or Sadoun or other sponsors). The satellite receiver is located near where the cable tv comes into the house. I plug the composite video and left/right RCA audio outputs from the satellite receiver into the frequency agile rf modulator (in my case set to channel 86). I use a simple splitter/mixer to combine the rf modulator output and the incoming cable tv signal. The combined signal then goes to the existing cable tv amplifier/splitter and sends all signals through the house. The Next Generation remote extender is a very clever device that uses a module that replaces an AA or AAA battery in any remote control. The remote control commands are thereby transmitted to its receiving unit that is located near the satellite receiver. With this setup, I can watch cable tv as it was before, but if I tune to channel 86, I can watch whatever channel I have selected on the satellite receiver. I just carry the satellite remote control to whatever tv I'm watching - the remote control signal carries far and the rechargable battery in the sending unit lasts for weeks (an extra battery is included and is kept charged for quick replacement). The Next Generation remote extender is nice because the sending unit is contained inside the remote control - it does not use a separate transmitter. Therefore, you can just carry the satellite remote control around the house. Of course, with this set up, only the selected satellite channel is available on all tvs. On the one tv we have with an HD box, I have a splitter to separate the incoming cable - one to the cable HD box and one to a separate input on the tv. To watch cable, just select the cable box input - to watch satellite, just select the other tv input and tune to 86. The remote extender allows you to do anything that you would do with the standard IR remote, but you can do it from anywhere in the house and don't have to be near the sat receiver. Be aware, however, that it can be difficult to find an open cable channel without causing some interference to the cable tv channels or vice versa. I had to change the modulator output channel once because the cable company apparently added some signals or shifted some around. Once you do find a clear channel, the picture quality is identical to a direct hook up to the sat receiver. (However, my particular modulator outputs in mono rather than stereo).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)