What is the difference bewteen universal & linear lnb?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
:tux: Can you kind folks explain the difference btwn. a linear lnb and a universal lnb?
Many thanks to all!

A Linear or Standard LNB will get from 11.7-12.2 GHZ
A Universal will go from 10.7-12.75GHZ

There are 2 bands on KU, low (10.7-11.7) and High (11.7-12.2). Universals are almost a necessity in Europe as they have satellites that have KU from 10.7-12.75
Here in North America, the only satellite that needs a Universal is PAS9 (58W). The area from 12.2-12.75GHZ is used by DBS (whereas in Europe its for KU Band)

Also a Universal you can't use a 22k switch because the LNB has a 22k built in (to go from lo to high band)

Conversely, a Standard LNB you can use a DIseqc or 22k switch to hook up multiple LNB's

I have a few Fortec Universals and a few Sadoun Standards. I started to buy the Fortecs, because they fit into the Primestars (with the plastic neck of the lnb removed), and they seem to be 4 degrees apart when placed side by side (at least on IA5/AMC4) The Standards I like too, I can hose clamp them together a bit easier, but the plastic case was harder to get into for the Primestars.

Also a Universal you can't use a 22k switch because the LNB has a 22k built in (to go from lo to high band)

Conversely, a Standard LNB you can use a DIseqc or 22k switch to hook up multiple LNB's

I just bought a Standard Linear lnb and was using with 36" dish to get
telstar 5 97W but coun't get any signal.After several attemp without succes, I was thinking maybe I should use the Universal linear lnb instead,
because I use to have that universal lnb ans it took me only 5 min to find the signal. Just wondering if that is the problem and what sat. can I get with Standard linear lnb or universal lnb.Pleas help:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)