What is the fastest receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thegigi

Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
If i get direct and buy my own dvr. What box is the best and fastest? I do not need hd in the rv. is sat 101 the one for basic and distant nets?
tks George

With Directv the HR24 and HR44 are the best and the fastest dvr's for this provider. If you don't need more than 2 tuners then go with the 24.

As stated, the poster isn't looking for an hd setup, so any speed advantage of Dish's Hopper is a non issue. Besides, what if he is a Yankees fan? He can't get the YES network on Dish! thegigi, yes the 101 satellite carries virtually all of the core programming and the distant (NY or LA) stations. If you will be a new customer, I don't think you can buy your own dvr, you have to lease it from Directv. Once you are a customer, then you can add owned equipment. It isn't likely to cost you anything to obtain a dvr as a lease anyways. If you buy it, it will, obviously.

A recent user review I read said that there is little difference between the HR44 and the Hopper, even with Sling.

Ive had both. The Hopper has some cool things the HR44 doesnt, and vice versa. My HR44 is also very fast, I know the HR34 can stink. Id also note lately they seem to have gotten the SW much better, I dont usually have any problems, at least no more than any other DVR Ive owned.

A recent user review I read said that there is little difference between the HR44 and the Hopper, even with Sling.

I don't know if it was mine you read, but the HR44 is certainly a bit faster than the Hopper with or without Sling. Given the dog slow operation of every other HRxx I've seen over the years, I didn't think I'd ever say that about D* equipment!! :)

I don't know if it was mine you read, but the HR44 is certainly a bit faster than the Hopper with or without Sling. Given the dog slow operation of every other HRxx I've seen over the years, I didn't think I'd ever say that about D* equipment!! :)

HR 44 which I have and enjoy is very fast no doubt.
I also have 2 Hoppers with sling.
Both very fast.
However when fast forwarding through a program, hands down faster with dish.

HR 44 which I have and enjoy is very fast no doubt.
I also have 2 Hoppers with sling.
Both very fast.
However when fast forwarding through a program, hands down faster with dish.
It really depends on the onboard CPU, hard drive, RAM, what is going on in the background, that will decide how fast the unit will function. I have the HR44/700 & two C31/700 mini-clients. All three are pretty fast to change the channels. About as fast as when I had the Cisco IPN7500 DVR through UVerse, and the newer Set Top Boxes.

The CPU's that Pace is using, is pretty fast now, compared to the older models for their Satellite & IPTV boxes. They will be coming out with even better units in the next two years, with the Broadcom BCM7445. It is quad-core ARM-based chip, capable of a maximum resolution of 4096×2160 at 60 frames per second (yes, it can handle 4Kp60). With the ability to handle four video streams, this chip could drive four 1080p displays simultaneously.

Production on the new chip, is supposed to start this year. Of course you have this article from Aug. of last year, that Qualcomm's Senior VP, called Octa-Core CPU's dumb.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/163047-chip-slapped-qualcomm-senior-vp-calls-upcoming-octal-core-processors-dumb That is like back when the statement was made that you would not need a hard drive larger then 20mb, or more then 64mb of RAM.

There is also this article.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cable/Cable-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7445

Status
Please reply by conversation.