What is the LARGEST C Dish you own?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

norman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Ok folks,
What's largest C band dish you own? I am still working on finding a Simulsat.
Norman

norman said:
Ok folks,
What's largest C band dish you own? I am still working on finding a Simulsat.
Norman

A couple of my customers have Simulsat 3s, the manufacture of which was discontinued in the early 1990s.

A Simulsat 3 measures about 12' by 22'. Unfortunately, it was engineered when satellite slots were 3 degrees apart, which has two adverse consequences. One is, you have to skip adjacent satellites, making them inadequate as a single reflector source for private cable headends. The other is, because of the bleedover from adjacent slots, often times, if you are trying to receive and analog channel and there are digital ones overlapping it with the same polarization on the adjacent satellites, too much of their signal will leak into the feedhorn and make the analog channel picture look like it was wiped with sandpaper.

I'm sure a lot of Simulsat 3s can be had for their removal. Try contacting Lodgenet and On Command and asking them who in your area would like theirs taken away. I know of one in Charlottesville that the owner would love to have removed.

I'd say that a Simulsat3 combined the gain of an eight foot dish with the beamwidth and adjacent satellite rejection of a six foot dish.

Back in the 80s an 11'6" but I can't remember the name (it was like Forest or Evergreen or some kind of tree. Worked great with the Sierra II and 120 deg lna)

Now 10' (Perfect 10) still working on it

Mine's somewhere between 7.5 and 8'. It depends on where you measure it as the original owner used to roll it around his yard, when he wanted to move it.

AntAltMike said:
A couple of my customers have Simulsat 3s, the manufacture of which was discontinued in the early 1990s.

A Simulsat 3 measures about 12' by 22'. Unfortunately, it was engineered when satellite slots were 3 degrees apart, which has two adverse consequences. One is, you have to skip adjacent satellites, making them inadequate as a single reflector source for private cable headends. The other is, because of the bleedover from adjacent slots, often times, if you are trying to receive and analog channel and there are digital ones overlapping it with the same polarization on the adjacent satellites, too much of their signal will leak into the feedhorn and make the analog channel picture look like it was wiped with sandpaper.

I'm sure a lot of Simulsat 3s can be had for their removal. Try contacting Lodgenet and On Command and asking them who in your area would like theirs taken away. I know of one in Charlottesville that the owner would love to have removed.

Is that Charlottesville VA?
What if you used Two of the 3's so you would not have a problem with spacing?
Norman

norman said:
Is that Charlottesville VA?

Yes.

What if you used Two of the 3's so you would not have a problem with spacing?
You wouldn't have trouble locating the LNBs, but you still would suffer from co-channel interference.

There are two factors that can combine to make the co-channel interference unacceptably strong. The first is, the edge of each feedhorn actually penetrates slightly into the focal area of the adjacent satellite, and second, co-channel interference from digital transponders overlapping analog signals is a greater problem than for analog on analog, because while alternating the polarity on adjacent analog satellites moves the powerful carriers 20Mz from where they would do the most damage, the digital signals are relatively flat across the spectrum, and the fact that their center frequency is shifted by 20Mz doesn't have the effect of reducing the strength of thier signals at the critical points in the analog spectrum.

This latter consideration will not be a problem as long as you are only concerned with receiving digital signals, since they are relatively immune to the effects of this low level of interference, but I had to give up trying to develop a clear analog TNN signal from a Simulsat 3 a couple of years ago when the adjacent satellite's digital transponders overwhelmed it.

Last edited:
I have a 5', 2 each 6', 8', 10' & last but not least a 12 footer which I still use. I would like to part with some of the smaller dishes but no one here in Central Georgia is interested in them.

BryanSR

My Largest Reflectors (Antennas)

Among other parabolic reflectors (antennas) I have two Prodelin 12 ft. "antennas". One is dedicated to searching the Atlantic Ocean Region portion of the arc and the other to the US portion for both C and Ku band "normal" and wideband signals.

Why would you want a Simulsat reflector? The loss in signal reception efficiency due to lnb non-boresight target satellite is significant compared to the ability to receive more than one satellite with a stationary parabolic reflector. An efficient "antenna" (the larger the better) that is steerable with state of the art electronics has advantages that significantly outweigh those of a multi feed prime focus feed
"antenna".

Everything being relative and equal in satellite communications T/R bigger is better when it comes to parabolic reflectors for frequencies 1,000 mhz. and above in the microwave region.

Largest = 12' fiberglass sitting in garage, waiting on my sorry a.....
10' fiberglass in use for c/ku analog and DVB.
10' mesh in use for c/ku 4dtv.
10' mesh sitting on ground by well house, waiting on my sorry a... again.
5' solid aluminum sitting in garage with new Patriot H-H motor, waiting for 3 1/2' pole placement.
1.2m Fortec used for DVB ku, planning to test C-band soon.
80cm Fortec used for DVB ku.
KTI triple lnb for D*.
2 @ Dish 500 (1 with twin, 1 with single) for DishNet HD and Voom HD.

Al

10 Foot for 4DTV C/Ku
7.5 Foot for DVB
(2) 30" for DVB
(1) .74 Meter Direcway (hughesNet DW7000) for Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)