What is the point of dual tuner boxes now?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

s10zr2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Now that Dish is increasing the price for a dual tuner box on your account by 7.00, what is the point of having one now? I have 3 in my house and a 14.00 a month increase is pretty heafty. I spoke with dish about this and they said every one charges for each tuner and they are rolling all fees into one. The first part might be true, but there was never a fee for the second tuner to roll into one. If I have to pay 7.00 for each tuner I might as well get all single tuner boxes to feed my tv's with hdmi's. I use two of the feeds right now off of each of the 222k's to feed my kids beadrooms with coax, which looks like crap on 26" LCD tv's but I deal with it to keep my price down. Also the rep which I spoke to could not explain the 3.00 more fee per box for the dvrs, all he kept saying was there is only one dvr fee now. Maybe I am missing something her, but I wish they would have just done there standard 3.00 per year programming price increase instead of this. I think I am just goint to sell my 222k or trade it for a 211k. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, there is now no advantage to a dual output satellite receiver.

There still remains one advantage of a dual output DVR, in that either TV can independently view recordings stored on the DVR.

I think one dual tuner dvr with the rest of your setup being single tuner would be the best way. That way everything except TV2 on the dual tuner can be HD. Dish is supposed to make the receiver with the highest fee count as the first free receiver. The rest I would get as single tuner boxes.

Their pricing is telling you that they only want you to have a single dual tuner unit. The second is too expensive. My 522 was a second dual tuner unit. I was using it in single mode. I canceled it and ordered a 211k from Claude. With an external hard drive (already paid for with another one), I can now record 2 shows (using the OTA tuner) instead of 3 and save $10 per month.

At the same time, I re-evaluated my AEP. I had originally signed up for it when I got my 722. It was cheaper than the DVR fees for 2 DVRs plus what my original programming plan was. I dropped 2 premiums and went to America's 200 and saved even more. My bill is now less than it was before the price increase.

I am evaluating how the 211 compares with the 722. If I can live without the dual tuners there, I may cancel the 722 for another 211 with a hard drive and save another $6 per month.

Unless you have a Dual receiver as the first receiver on your account there is no benifit.

At the Dishstore we got 211k's for $119, its worth it to have all single tuner boxes on your account again.

Claude, you have any idea when or if you might get any of the new SD Solo DVR 512 in stock and how much they will cost? I want to replace the 625 as the second receiver on my account but don't want another 2-year commitment.

I have been saying since the new pricing structure was released as a rumour , that ONE dual tuner dvr is all you need and the rest use 211ks and pay for the software to turn them into dvrs. Then all the tvs in the house will have hd & dvr . Now the new sling equipment that DISH will use is supposed to allow HD picture for TV2 on a second hd tv. But who knows how much they will charge. Directv is supposed to be working on its new generation of dvrs that will bring HD over coax. Much easier concept and most people have coax already run in their house already.

The headline of this thread speaks volumes, but as Claude said there's still SOME benefit if a dual tuner is your primary receiver. Beyond that -- no. The "dual tuner" benefit -- prior to Feb 1 -- is what attracted me BACK to DISH from DirecTV 4 years ago. In fact while making numerous calls to DISH contemplating the move 4 years ago, one of the CSRs selling points was that I would not be paying an additional receiver fee -- but getting the same benefits -- as I was with DirecTV. But that's all moot now.

Question...
is it all dual tuner boxes, or just the ones w/ the TV2 output? I ask because I didn't think that the 612 was getting the price increase? It's a dual tuner, but single TV, DVR...

Question...
is it all dual tuner boxes, or just the ones w/ the TV2 output? I ask because I didn't think that the 612 was getting the price increase? It's a dual tuner, but single TV, DVR...
All dual tuner boxes got a price increase of 7.00 to make them 14.00 per box (after your first box on the account). The dvrs got a 10.00 price increase making them 17.00 and the 612 got a 3.00 price increase making it 10.00. Dish is obviously double dipping on fees here with the dvrs. They have only one dvr fee, but all the dvrs are 3.00 more than the single and dual tuner boxes, pretty crappy.

the answer to ur question is no...not all dual tuners...but dual tuners that can feed 2 TVs..or Duo.

612 though will be now $10...ie it will have $3 for having DVR capability...not to mention u have to pay $6 DVR at account level.

I have been saying since the new pricing structure was released as a rumour , that ONE dual tuner dvr is all you need and the rest use 211ks and pay for the software to turn them into dvrs. Then all the tvs in the house will have hd & dvr . Now the new sling equipment that DISH will use is supposed to allow HD picture for TV2 on a second hd tv. But who knows how much they will charge. Directv is supposed to be working on its new generation of dvrs that will bring HD over coax. Much easier concept and most people have coax already run in their house already.
That would be great if they could bring hd over coax. I know it can be done now, but costly. They alread have the MVR which is nice. Sling is a joke. It is genius on dish's end because you have to buy equipmet from them from a company they now own. I would rather go MVR. I think this price increase on the receivers is going to hurt them in the long run. I know alot of people who are going to send some receivers back because of this.

The only real advantage I see is being able to access DVR recordings in another room. Now if they would get off their butts and give us a whole house DVR or MRV then there would be little to no advantage to me.

Crap, Crap. I purchased a 222k as a direct replacement for my 322 mainly because a CSR incorrectly told me it would accept an EHD. I didn't do any research to confirm this because it seemed logical that it should/would accomodate an EHD. Now with this new pricing, I think I would have been much better off purchasing 2 211k receivers instead of the 222k.

If I swap a 625 (second receiver) for two other receivers, if I understand, the difference will only be $3 a month?

Now the 625 is $17 and two other receivers (HD or SD) would be $14 ($7 each).

Maybe if my kids ever get HD TVs I might get rid of the the 625, but for now, spending $80 to enable a EHD on each box, plus spend about $150 for two EHDs to save $36 a year doesn't make any sense to me. Not to mention $119 for two 211ks.

So check my math.

At a grand total of $468 to add two 211ks and EHDs VS keeping a 625 to save $3 a month, it will take me 13 years to break even.

I'm already paying the $6 DVR fee for my 722k anyway.

If I swap a 625 (second receiver) for two other receivers, if I understand, the difference will only be $3 a month?

Now the 625 is $17 and two other receivers (HD or SD) would be $14 ($7 each).

Maybe if my kids ever get HD TVs I might get rid of the the 625, but for now, spending $80 to enable a EHD on each box, plus spend about $150 for two EHDs to save $36 a year doesn't make any sense to me. Not to mention $119 for two 211ks.

So check my math.

At a grand total of $468 to add two 211ks and EHDs VS keeping a 625 to save $3 a month, it will take me 13 years to break even.

I'm already paying the $6 DVR fee for my 722k anyway.

less whatever you can get for your existing no longer used receivers.

but yeah its probably not worth the money spent

Wait, I must be missing something. No advantage to duo tuner?? I connect a duo tuner to each tv cause I can record and watch live, or record two shows and watch a recorded show. I can also use PIP. I wouldn't want to do without those features.

I guess it makes sense for me to give up the duo receiver (I have 3) that doesn't do much recording and put a 211 with EHD on that tv.

Bummer, but everyone should know better than to believe a CSR.

True. I suppose I have no one to blame but myself, and I should know better. Oh well, my worst case scenario would be to buy two 211k's and have the 222k sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)