What is the Proper Skew /clocking of DMX-741 LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Reworked the ailing $69.99 special dish, had to remove the DMX-741 LNB in order to do the work.

Now I would like to bring it back to what it used to be before the rework. I have been trying to find the sweet spot for the clocking of the LNBF, and in top of that I am seeing and receiving satellites TP/channels that are off by 4 degree, for intance viewing 91W while trying to scan 87W,..also viewing 97W while scanning 93.1W.

I want to get the LNBF clocking issue first, before tackling the TPs and channels. The dish deffenitely shifted thanks to strong winds of last week as well of me reworking the setup.

Any advice and help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Think the mark goes to either the 3 or 9 o'clock position. (places the 'box' of electronics at the 2:30 or 7:30 position) But if TP's come in on the wrong polarity, then it's either the 12 or 6 o'clock position. **clock positions are referenced with the dish at zenith.

>>receiving satellites TP/channels that are off by 4 degree<< The LNBF isn't centered, now or previously? Or the actuator position/geometry has changed. (or both) The azimuth got 'modified' by the winds (Or all, or any combination, of the above?)
Any time I've 'reworked' the dish, I take for granted all previously stored positions are going to be off. usually doing a Recalibrate /Recalculation get most back on.

I think the 741 skews properly (12:00 & 6:00)
Its the C_Band only ones that seem to be 90 degrees off

>>receiving satellites TP/channels that are off by 4 degree<< The LNBF isn't centered, now or previously? Or the actuator position/geometry has changed. (or both) The azimuth got 'modified' by the winds (Or all, or any combination, of the above?)
Any time I've 'reworked' the dish, I take for granted all previously stored positions are going to be off. usually doing a Recalibrate /Recalculation get most back on.

I am begining to think that as you said,..... that the dish needs to have a major overhaul, the wind did make the dish move some, plus by me doing dish repairs this also compounded the problem....I guess that is time to be looking to find for a new stronger dish.

I think the 741 skews properly (12:00 & 6:00)
Its the C_Band only ones that seem to be 90 degrees off

Yep Ice hit it on the head for the 741. I have two of them and they are indeed 12 or 6 'o clock. The C-Band only version from wsi is 3 or 9.

On the same train of though about the DMX-741 LNBF and the $69.99 dish. Could someone possibly post a picture of the back of their dish so I can get a better understanding and see the physical orientation of all the hardware when this dish is pointed to their true "South" or home satellite.

While reworking/rigging the dish did some bending to two brackets, and a picture of the orientation of the parts is worth a thousand words.

Want to make sure that everything is like it suppose to be, before relocating my true South satellite, and proceeding with the installation.

Thanks

Here are a couple of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 181
Thanks, brentb636.

Picture #2 is the one that I was hoping to see, and it shows a very clear view of what I wanted to see. The large "U" bracket that connects to the cross bar with the two short bolts got bent, and the small "U" bracket that connects to the crossbar, weld cracked and deformed the connections.

Had to drill two holes through the small "U" bracket and cross bar, and use two bolts to mantain the two pieces together. This area seems to be the weakest link of the whole dish. My fix still looks iffiy.

Will try to keep the parts as straight as possible, and hopefully it will hold for a while.

Thanks again

avenger.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)