What is your current phone?

You cant seperate the issue sadly as everyone that has bought a andorid phone from verizon (except maybe the galaxy nexus) will always have slow updates and rely on htc or motorola to put stuff out because of their skins...not so with ios and windows...also windows phone what I am looking at is their innovation and what factors suit me, I could care less if android is more popular then windows phone or ios...if it has the features I need and desire then thats what I will use ( for a couple weeks or a month or two till I get the itch again, lol )

I'm not on Verizon, other vendors sell android phones.

Windows phone to date has been nothing but epic failure after epic failure and a track record of not delivering updates effectively or timely.

I don't have a problem with your preference for an as yet undelivered phone with an unproven OS, but your dismissal of android is surprising.

If you are saying that each provider doesn't have their own version of windows then that must have changed from years past, because they sure used to have their own versions.
It has changed.
The update comes from microsoft in much the same way that apple updates the Iphone. It is a much easier update process, and is consistent across the carriers compared to the android way. I have experienced all three, and windows may in fact be the easiest to do, although it may lag slightly behind the iphone in rolling out since you are dealing with a few more handset models versus basically one. Still much faster in roll out than with any android set that I have had.
Windows phones of the past have nothing in common with windows devices out now, except both have the windows name.

I'm not on Verizon, other vendors sell android phones.
His point though was, not only do most android phones have to wait on the individual carrier for the update, you have to wait in many cases on the manufacturer to update their specific "skins" for the new version of android.
They seem to have gotten much better, but it still is far from perfect in my experience.
One example (although this is carrier related), I know when Rocky came down and had his Droid X with verizon, he had gingerbread. I had the Droid X through Cellular South, and it was another two months before they released gingerbread for their version. Fairly mainstream phone, at the time, and that is a huge gap in updates for individual carriers (in addition to having to deal with the skin issue above) on the exact same hardware. Other phones with cellular south (galaxy) had a different time frame for gingerbread (because of touchwiz). The Desire at a different time (Sense skin).

In comparison, the windows phone I had on Cell South got the mango update at the same time as the same models on the major carriers.

msmith:

That's true to a degree, if you don't root and unlock your bootloader. I generally do both (modder beware) and have no problem with doing so. Often, the quality of 3rd party ROMs exceeds that of the carrier releases anyway ;) That said, most phone enthusiasts change phones frequently enough (1-2 years) that lagging behind is less of an issue. I'm not excusing that, and would prefer that Google control the releases, but that's not the real world I live in.

I think that if MS is lucky, they will do well enough to be a comfortable 3rd in the mobile marketplace (displacing the slowly sinking entity that is RIM).

msmith:

That's true to a degree, if you don't root and unlock your bootloader. I generally do both (modder beware) and have no problem with doing so. Often, the quality of 3rd party ROMs exceeds that of the carrier releases anyway ;) That said, most phone enthusiasts change phones frequently enough (1-2 years) that lagging behind is less of an issue. I'm not excusing that, and would prefer that Google control the releases, but that's not the real world I live in.

I think that if MS is lucky, they will do well enough to be a comfortable 3rd in the mobile marketplace (displacing the slowly sinking entity that is RIM).

But you are in the 1% of phone users. We've had these discussions before, for the vast vast majority of users, its a different world. :)

I am of course speaking from the perspective of the average consumer.
I have rooted, most dont.
For most, what I posted is true, and to a large degree.
I will say that even among rooted users, the custom rom market is varied.

I will add, you guys really need to just go play with a windows phone at your local chain, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how smooth it is, the app market is growing for it as well...it is not just a phone with windows on it, its been rebuilt from the ground up. but I dont want to deter this thread too much, if you want to further this discussion I can break it off, but we will just be rehashing old stuff over and over :)

I will add, you guys really need to just go play with a windows phone at your local chain, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how smooth it is, the app market is growing for it as well...it is not just a phone with windows on it, its been rebuilt from the ground up. but I dont want to deter this thread too much, if you want to further this discussion I can break it off, but we will just be rehashing old stuff over and over :)

I'll consider a Windows Phone when my next upgrade is available in a couple of years. As I've said in another thread I think, I really didn't want to end up with a Windows phone that could end up being caught up in the release of Windows 8 and left behind. I'm not swapping out my phone as frequently as some, so things others downplay like 4G are more important to me as I'll have my phone for the full 18-24+ months. That's why my phone progression has been very slow... BB World Edition... BB Storm... OG Droid... and now my Galaxy Nexus.

As for trying out Windows Phone, you can also go to this on an iPhone/Droid - Windows Phone Demo obviously trying a real handset is ideal.

I just found that my Skyrocket dropped $50 in price. I bought it less than 30 days ago. Can I go into a store and complain and get the difference, especially since I was also stiffed with the BS AT&T upgrade fee?

Yep. You have 30 days to return the phone. I would bring it to the store and tell them you want the price adjustment. :)

ETA: I have also gotten them to waive the upgrade fee in the past a couple of times. That was done on the phone not in the store.

Yep. You have 30 days to return the phone. I would bring it to the store and tell them you want the price adjustment. :)

ETA: I have also gotten them to waive the upgrade fee in the past a couple of times. That was done on the phone not in the store.

Called them up and got a credit on my next bill. :)