What is your current phone?

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
I average between 5-8 gig per month.
I've always wondered what people did to use that much wireless bandwidth.
Driving around on some job where you need constant map data?
I tend to use my phone like a low end computer, but move my few gigabytes via wifi at home or one of several restaurants.

Probably should turn off wifi for a month to get an accurate number. ;)

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
The only way I've ever come close to that, and keep in mind i run my phone battery down to critical by 4 pm every day, is when my cable internet went down for a few days and I used my phone to tether stream Netflix during that time.

I have three smartphones on my personal account with a 8gb limit and we never go past it. ramy, what do you do usually do use that much if you don't mind?
do you not have access to WiFi most days ?

Sent from my htc 8x using Board Express

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Almost all websites are blocked from work so I use it for that all the time. Plus I download all my app updates over the network. Check email and tether my tablet to my phone.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Almost all websites are blocked from work so I use it for that all the time. Plus I download all my app updates over the network. Check email and tether my tablet to my phone.

Gotcha, it makes more sense that way.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I think I'm going to upgrade to the Nexus 4 soon. It looks like an amazing device.

It really does. I think they dropped the ball by excluding LTE though. I read their reasoning, but considering the last generation of the device included it, I do not buy it. That alone would take it out of consideration for me. Otherwise though, fantastic device it seems.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I have to say, I got to look at all of the new android phones this past weekend when I got my 8x. The Droid DNA looked amazing. Good size, fast processor, and the screen....drool........

I also got to finally get hands on with a Note 2. Ive said that I wasnt sure that 5.5 would be too big for a phone, as I was pleased with the size of the S3, but after having one in my hand, I would not use it as my primary phone. As a portable tablet with occasional phone capabilities, it would be great. I liked the screen for that, and the spaciousness was nice to view content on. And it was very fast.

However, I can not imagine holding the thing up to my head to talk on. While not only looking ridiculous to me, the size of it is awkward for that use IMO.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I have to say, I got to look at all of the new android phones this past weekend when I got my 8x. The Droid DNA looked amazing. Good size, fast processor, and the screen....drool........

I also got to finally get hands on with a Note 2. Ive said that I wasnt sure that 5.5 would be too big for a phone, as I was pleased with the size of the S3, but after having one in my hand, I would not use it as my primary phone. As a portable tablet with occasional phone capabilities, it would be great. I liked the screen for that, and the spaciousness was nice to view content on. And it was very fast.

However, I can not imagine holding the thing up to my head to talk on. While not only looking ridiculous to me, the size of it is awkward for that use IMO.

I'm looking at that S3 for my next phone. Might have to wait a while for the price to come down on ebay though.

david_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
May 7, 2007
Hancock, MA - The Berkshires
First smartphone here, Iphone 5 (for about 36 hours now) still learning to use it. Was tempted by the Galaxy SIII like my wife got: it looks really cool but I don't think I can carry a phone that large on an everyday basis.

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)

I compared side by side my 18 month old Photon with a galaxy S3 yesterday and I was surprised that it wasn't much bigger than my phone.

I'm vacillating on carriers right now - if Sprint would publish target dates and I had an idea of when LTE was launching here I wouldn't be considering the change. I see some rumors of a date but nothing concrete.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
I compared side by side my 18 month old Photon with a galaxy S3 yesterday and I was surprised that it wasn't much bigger than my phone.

I'm vacillating on carriers right now - if Sprint would publish target dates and I had an idea of when LTE was launching here I wouldn't be considering the change. I see some rumors of a date but nothing concrete.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

look at S4GRU.com for ideas on when you might see LTE.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
It really does. I think they dropped the ball by excluding LTE though. I read their reasoning, but considering the last generation of the device included it, I do not buy it. That alone would take it out of consideration for me. Otherwise though, fantastic device it seems.

I'm starting to wonder if it's that big of a deal. I have LTE on my current phone, and when I'm in an LTE area I only notice the difference when I'm downloading huge files or running a speed test. In real world applications, there is no difference. Plus, this does have HSPA+ 42 which is no slouch. What makes more difference to me is the power of the handset itself, and the frequency of updates.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I have noticed a huge difference since we got LTE, but I am comparing CDMA 3g to it, so the difference is more pronounced. I have used my phone to tether to the roku for Netflix when cable went out, and to the xbox for online "black ops 2" during the same time. 3G would not have been sufficient for my uses there. WIth LTE it worked without a hiccup . For everyone it may not be as big of a deal. For my uses, not that I have it, I wouldn't want a device that didn't offer it. Just my take.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
I'm starting to wonder if it's that big of a deal. I have LTE on my current phone, and when I'm in an LTE area I only notice the difference when I'm downloading huge files or running a speed test. In real world applications, there is no difference. Plus, this does have HSPA+ 42 which is no slouch. What makes more difference to me is the power of the handset itself, and the frequency of updates.

After having LTE for a month now, I would have to agree with you. I went from around 8MB download to 30MB download with LTE and it really didn't make much of a difference unless I am downloading large apps.

I also have been eyeing the Nexus 4 and might just make the purchase for a Christmas present for myself.

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
LTE made a huge difference for me. I was only getting 1.5 around town with my iphone 4s on ATT, so I had times that email and some apps would just log jam on it. Out along the fringes of the metro I would be fine and get 7-8. Just too many ATT customers around here. I get 18 down and 15 up now and havent had any problems, but I'm afraid of what will happen in another year or so as more people upgrade to LTE phones and tablets.

Sent from my blazing fast galaxy s3 using SatelliteGuys