What is your definition of "A Sport"

Another plus for bowling being considered a sport; there is a such thing as Sport Bowling which is designed to be more difficult than regular league bowling. There is more oil on the lanes for Sport Bowling. All of the PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) lane oil patterns are considered Sport as well as the lane oil patterns used for the tournament we just got back from in Reno.

I think this thread isliving testimony to the fact that we can find a way to make at least 80 different comments on any topic whatsoever.

TO ME... NASCAR, Formula 1, Bowling, Billiards, Darts, Hunting and Poker are NOT a sports. Though it DOES require SKILL, does not require athletic ability to perform well.

Clearly you have never driven a NASCAR.

Yep..and clearly, 99% of everyone IN HEAR has not either.

I have. Believe me, it's not easy. I drove one for only eight laps. I can't imagine going for 200.

Or 3-4 hours.

You guys think driving a Stock car (NASCAR) is easy, you think your morning traffic is bad, try driving in thier sweat box for 3 hours in wall to wall traffic only inches from the other guy at 190MPH.

Just because something is difficult or you like doing it, doesn't make it a sport

True, but my point was that it is does require athletic ability to perform well. BTW, I do think it's a sport. It's an athletic activity that requires offense and defense, and there is a winner.

tngtony said:
madmadworld said:
but they are sitting .......no sport

Wheelchair basketball? They are sitting.
not by choice
So? What if you have a paraplegic race car driver?
dannyupdating.jpg James.jpg

Oh, and did you know that there are able-bodied wheelchair basketball leagues, meaning that some wheelchair basketball players are sitting by choice? So does the act of having to sit during the event mean it's not a sport now?
ab-showdown-2012-dec9.jpg
http://abqkings.org/node/211

IMHO,

Motorsports are a subcatagory of sports.

Hunting and fishing and other such things meet a broad defination of sports.

What is not a sport, IMHO, are judged artistic competitions. Gymnastics, diving, figure skating etc. A set of SUBJECTIVE opionial criteria are applied to a physical activity. One could just as easily judge unloading a truck or digging a hole in the ground. Not a sport.

IMHO,

Motorsports are a subcatagory of sports.

Hunting and fishing and other such things meet a broad defination of sports.

What is not a sport, IMHO, are judged artistic competitions. Gymnastics, diving, figure skating etc. A set of SUBJECTIVE opionial criteria are applied to a physical activity. One could just as easily judge unloading a truck or digging a hole in the ground. Not a sport.
Even though they do not fit in my definition of a sport either, they are more of a sport than hunting, fishing, and auto-racing, IMO.

True, but my point was that it is does require athletic ability to perform well. BTW, I do think it's a sport. It's an athletic activity that requires offense and defense, and there is a winner.

NO WHERE in ANY of my post did I EVER said it was easy....EVER! I just stated it wasnot a sport to me. AND I stand by it.

NO WHERE in ANY of my post did I EVER said it was easy....EVER! I just stated it wasnot a sport to me. AND I stand by it.

I think the problem is you never gave us your definition of what a sport is to you. The list you have in your first post seems sort of arbitrary. The question I originally asked is what is your definition of "a sport"? Then maybe we can understand why you feel NASCAR and other motorsports (which require physical agility and reflexes, has offensive and defensive strategies, can sometimes be done in teams to augment the defensive or offensive tactics, has a specific objective goal) are not sports to you. You mention it has to be a game, but curling is a game, it requires athletic acuity, absolutely has defense and offense with every stone. This should qualify as a sport by the previous descriptions on your posts. interactive Video games like Wii Tennis also qualify under your previous descriptions.

I think the problem is you never gave us your definition of what a sport is to you. The list you have in your first post seems sort of arbitrary. The question I originally asked is what is your definition of "a sport"? Then maybe we can understand why you feel NASCAR and other motorsports (which require physical agility and reflexes, has offensive and defensive strategies, can sometimes be done in teams to augment the defensive or offensive tactics, has a specific objective goal) are not sports to you.

Fair enough. TO ME, there is no real way to define it. Your job may require you to be physically fit, but that does not mean it's a sport. There are sports that do not use a ball at all, but we all know them as a sport.

Don't get me wrong, I have gone to NASCAR and Formula1 type races and enjoyed them. There is NO WAY I would pay for one of those SUPER expensive tickets if I disliked the sport, as some here claim I do. I may not watch it alot, but that does mean I don't enjoy it. I take advantage of EVERY Major sporting event that comes down my way because I may never get chance to see it again.

I agree with SkiKing in his post above.

I like this definition.

My definition is that it has to be both an athletic competition AND a game. You can have athletic events, such as ones that I participate in (skiing, cycling, running, swimming, ect), but they are not sports IMO because they are not a game; just an athletic competition. And then you can have games that are not athletic events, and thus they too are not sports, such as Poker.

I agree with this.

Imo the majority of the events that are in the Olympics aren't sports except hockey, basketball and tennis. Anything to do with motor vehicles, and guns aren't sports. Then add poker, video games and professional wrestling also aren't sports. You may need to be athletic to play them but they aren't a sport.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone who saw the Indy Lights race yesterday and says there is no teamwork, no offense, no defense, and not physically demanding is situationally blind. The game part, is also up for debate since they seemed to be playing with each other throughout the final laps.
Indy Lights finish 2013.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts