What is your definition of "A Sport"

I like this definition.

My definition is that it has to be both an athletic competition AND a game. You can have athletic events, such as ones that I participate in (skiing, cycling, running, swimming, ect), but they are not sports IMO because they are not a game; just an athletic competition. And then you can have games that are not athletic events, and thus they too are not sports, such as Poker.

Why the need to limit it to a 'game'?? Skiing, swimming, etc., done competively are sports.

When we participate in them, for exercise or whatever reason, it's an activity. When world-class athletes compete against each other in these same activities, it's a sport.

I said the racquet does most of the work TO PROPEL the ball, not "most of the work." The point is, at what point does the tool of the game negate the athletic activity? The JaiAlai cesta is another example. No way a human arm can throw a ball at over 120mph. So does the use of the cesta negate Jai alai as a spport? As to comparing Wii with constipation, unless there is some one trying to insert a cork as you try to go, it is false equivalency. :)
I know. The work to propel the ball is still ALL done by the player. In fact it requires even more work by the player to use the racquet than if the player were to swing his/her arm without a racquet. Without getting too much into physics and the definition of work, the reason the ball goes faster off a racket than a bare hand is because the extra length provides additional velocity. Force (work) = 1/2 x mass x velocity^2. It is that additional squared velocity created simply by extending the lever (arm + the racket) past the fulcrum (the shoulder) that creates much more force when contacting the ball. Add the slight additional mass of the racquet to the formula and you get a ball that comes off a racquet much faster than a bare hand. Plus the racquet absorbs less energy than a hand would.

If you were to hit a tennis ball with a solid iron rod the ball would come off the rod with even more velocity. That is not because the rod is doing more work or has more energy behind it. It is because the rod has more mass and is more solid (absorbing less of the energy from the ball). This requires even more work from the player swinging the rod.

All of that velocity is created only by the player, and the energy of the ball hit back by the other player. Zero energy to propel the ball comes from the racquet alone.

Whereas with auto-racing most of the work and energy comes from the car itself. Much more joules are used from the car burning fuel than the driver controlling the car.

Sorry for getting geeky, but that is how I think. I do not know of any other way to explain the difference between the car propelling itself and the racquet propelling the ball when it comes to the amount of work being done.

And then there is the definition of "game". What is your definition of a "Game". Competitive long-distance cycling where you have offensive and defensive moves according to rules qualify as a game under the standard definition of game, and it is definitely an athletic activity.
---Game: [n] A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
Sometimes official definitions are somewhat paradoxical. The definition of a game includes the word sport and the definition of a sport includes the word game.

I know by the official definition many things that I do not consider a sport, are officially called sports.

Why the need to limit it to a 'game'?? Skiing, swimming, etc., done competively are sports.

When we participate in them, for exercise or whatever reason, it's an activity. When world-class athletes compete against each other in these same activities, it's a sport.
I wouldn't call it a need, just an opinion. It is mostly based on my hierarchical thinking. I picture the broad spectrum of athletic activities and within athletic activities I created a smaller subcategory called sports. Sports are just one type of athletic activity.

This is the definition that sums sports nicely for me:

Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the tennis racquet issue, the ball does go faster off the racquet than it would off the hand or even if thrown. The tool is considerably augmenting the human capability. Same goes for a baseball off a bat, ball thrown with a cesta, or hockey puck off a stick. So where do we limit the tool in order for it to be a sport? Anyone who has been on a go cart on a track at speed knows that you don't just sit there. And instead of cars, let's say motocross. Again, in motocross there are specific offensive and defensive things one can do against their opponents. Or how about a demolition derby where you have opponents and you must be on the offense and defense and there is a specific objective goal. Sport, no sport?

And how about curling? There is definitely defense/offense and it is a game and physical acuity is needed.

what is not a sport ? golf, bowling,ping-pong,poker,pool table games,video games,motor racing of any kind. must be some running involved save swimmers,wrestlers.
like the red neck said "if you can do it drinking with a cigarette not a sport." always maybe wonder about baseball ?

I think you need to have offense and defensive in order to be a sport. Otherwise it's just an athletic activity. Bowling would be a good example. You can't do anything to stop your opponent from throwing a strike!

Neither can you stop someone playing golf. A race, is running faster than someone else defense or offense?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)