What is your favorite iPhone app?

I have found the coolest workout app for the iPhone; called RunKeeper. Totally free. It uses the phone's GPS, and even works if the phone is in a fanny pack. Tell it to start an activity, and it starts mapping your route, tracks pace, speed, distance. You can listen to music through it - or through another app. Every five minutes it breaks in and says your total distance, how much time you've been out, and pace. It can be tweaked. When you are done, it uploads to their website, can share to Facebook (but seriously, I am not sharing a 11min pace!), you can see the map of your route, elevation change, the whole shebang. Better than any gps I have used. You can set it for audible info at different time periods, and can also use a coaching module and I think with the paid version, download specific workouts. It works on a bunch of other types of exercises as well. This app is a serious winner. I'd think there must be similar ones for Android, but RunKeeper itself is iOS only. It made it to the cherished first screen on my iPhone.
I use this all of the time. In fact, I used to use MapMyRide, but RunKeeper is much better. I use it for all my activities except for snow skiing. There is a skiing APP that is better than RunKeeper. The skiing APP automatically determines if you are on a lift or a run as it has the map of the resort stored in Cache

Here is my profile if you want to street team me: Jason Cyclist Pomona, CA, USA | RunKeeper

I use this all of the time. In fact, I used to use MapMyRide, but RunKeeper is much better. I use it for all my activities except for snow skiing. There is a skiing APP that is better than RunKeeper. The skiing APP automatically determines if you are on a lift or a run as it has the map of the resort stored in Cache

Here is my profile if you want to street team me: Jason Cyclist Pomona, CA, USA | RunKeeper

The idea of a skiing app is interesting, but I wonder how running the gps constantly while in cold weather conditions impacts the battery? does it drain it faster?

The idea of a skiing app is interesting, but I wonder how running the gps constantly while in cold weather conditions impacts the battery? does it drain it faster?
Not that I noticed.

The APP is called, Ski Tracks

The APP works different than RunKeeper. RunKeeper maps as you move and you need a 3G or WiFi connection for it to map correctly. The Ski Tracks APP uses maps that are already stored on the phone and simply uses locational GPS to map over the downloaded map. No 3G or WiFi signal is needed. I can actually turn off my 3G and WiFi antenna to save the battery. Also since it is not looking for a signal to determine location, even if the antennas are left on, it uses less battery as a result.

FEATURES:
• Battery Friendly - Track all day.
No data or phone signal required for tracking.
• Compliant background application - take/receive calls and text while tracking.
• Run by Run Ski Analysis.
• Comprehensive Ski Stats and Profile Graphs.
• Animated Preview in Maps and Google Earth.
• Maps with Standard and Satellite modes.
• Add photographs to track.
• Checkout your Skiing/Boarding in Google Earth™
• Share tracks with friends.
• Battery Monitor.
• Built in iPod controls.
• Metric and Imperial units.

Plus I keep my phone in the inside pocket of my jacket to protect it if I fall (which I do often when I play in the terrain park) so it is kept warm

The problem with RunKeeper is that it thinks the lift ride is part of the workout. I calculates me burning a lot of calories as I ride the lift up. I must be running up the side of the mountain pretty quickly to do that. :p

For running and biking, I found nothing better than RunKeeper. In fact runkeeper works better than the APPs I used that were specifically made for biking

Last edited:
My favorite apps are my Bible apps
Logos Bible
Accordance Biblereader (olivetree)
Esv Bible
BIBLE
HOLY BIBLE
Verse Fighter
these are the best BIble apps that i Have found on the app store they are awesome

I have a friend who does iOS tech support for the "Holy Bible" or "You Version" app; I think its pretty cool since it is free, but I use the Olive Tree Bible reader all the time, with Calvin's COmmentaries, and the NIV and Reformed Theology Study Guides. Split screen, full cross-referencing in pop-up boxes;

yikes... I just realized this was the iPhone thread. I use the same on the iPhone, but the iPad app is much better for study. :)

I have a friend who does iOS tech support for the "Holy Bible" or "You Version" app; I think its pretty cool since it is free, but I use the Olive Tree Bible reader all the time, with Calvin's COmmentaries, and the NIV and Reformed Theology Study Guides. Split screen, full cross-referencing in pop-up boxes;

yikes... I just realized this was the iPhone thread. I use the same on the iPhone, but the iPad app is much better for study. :)
spammer ;)

I want the new Jawbone up that has its own app, that as of right now I hear is terrible, but has ALOT of room for improving.

I have the Holy Bible app on my phone that is YouVersion. I like how it has all of the different translations in one app.

Olive Tree here.

The cool thing about this ski APP is that it shows up in iTunes as a file sharing APP. I am able to save my workout stats in iTunes and then transfer them as a GPX file on my computer. This GPX file can then be uploaded into RunKeeper. Now RunKeeper has an accurate record of my skiing activities (more accurate than RunKeeper itself)

http://runkeeper.com/user/dodgerking/activity/59817713

http://runkeeper.com/user/dodgerking/activity/59817934

Last edited:
Ooops. So do I. I thought I was in the iPad thread.:eek:

I will admit to having used the Olive Tree app IN church! I wanted to follow the reading in NIV and not the version that is in the pews. So I pulled out the iPhone and fired up the app. My wife rolled her eyes at me, but was ok once I put it away when the reading was over - as I did not surf SatGuys during the sermon. :D

Zephyr

Available in Cydia. Multitasking gesturing. Instead of double clicking the home button, you simply swipe up to access running APPs. When you are on an APP you can swipe from left to right to bring up other opened APPs without having to close your current APP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to the iPhone, so this "30 Top Apps for 2011" really gave me a lot to think about:
Top 30 Jailbreak Tweaks Of 2011 For Your iPhone (VIDEO)
Includes a 15 minute video to demonstrate 'em, too.

edit:
I found a list of apps that would let me get on IRC, but it was too long to consider trying them all.
I don't need non-IRC capability, if that helps.
Anyone care to suggest three or four that I might test-drive?

Last edited:
Thanks for this link. I just installed AnyIcons, StyleUnlocker, DreamBoard, AppsCenter, KillBackground, and WeeSearch

Intelliscreenx seems pretty awesome.

Just installed. Like the functionality of android widgets? Love the smoothness of ios? This might be THE reason to jailbreak.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)