Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Boxing

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Golf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soccer

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
Sandra (also my wife's name), should I expect to be blasted now?

I should have added that I do still like football and basketball, and somewhat baseball although not as much as when I was a kid.
It's just that hockey is a much better and more exciting sport - and they manage to do it all while skating!

Last edited:
Sandra (also my wife's name), should I expect to be blasted now?

I should have added that I do still like football and basketball, and somewhat baseball although not as much as when I was a kid.
It's just that hockey is a much better and more exciting sport - and they manage to do it all while skating!

Yeah, people here get pretty defensive regarding their sport of choice. There was once a thread where someone was trying to convince me baseball players run more during their games than players in other sports do!

Another time I mentioned the exact 'no defense in golf' thing that you said, and that was not received well either. As I said, people get defensive...

For the record I obviously agree that hockey is my favorite sport to watch, but I love to watch all sports...except golf!

Sandra

Hockey is the most exciting and fun sport of the bunch. Constant action, unlike football with its three seconds of action followed by 25 seconds of standing around, basketball with its 20 seconds of action followed by standing around for free throws, baseball with its less than one second for a pitch followed by the pitcher walking around the mound and adjusting his hat while the batter steps out of the box, taps his cleats and readjusts the velcro on his gloves three times.

Soccer also has constant action, but in 90 minutes there are so few shots on goal that they actually count the shots that miss the goal completely.

I have played all sports except boxing, but I played hockey from age 13 to 54 because it is the greatest sport to play and to watch. I would have played longer, but moved to an area without a rink. If I ever won the lottery, the first thing I would do (after talking to a tax accountant) would be to build an ice rink.

Golf requires some exertion in walking the course and skill in making the shots, but I consider it a game instead of a sport because there is no true player vs player or team vs team, i.e., there is no defense in golf. Each person plays his own game and then matches his score against the others.

All of the above IMHO, of course.

Oh no you did..hn't. You little........Just kidding. :D

Football, preferably college.

Grew up watching college football, and have always loved it.
Same for Major League Baseball, but always liked college football better.

college hockey is my favorite. Nothing makes a winter weekend then starting with a game on the Eastern time zone...then flip over to a WCHA game around 7:00 then end it with a game from Anchorage or Fairbanks that starts at 10:00 Central.

NASCAR and MLB is 2nd.

I did not include college, If I did its College football as number one, nothing like a fall Saturday afternoon, seeing the college atmopshere, in all the different regions.

I never specified it had to be professional sports at all.

College football for sure... The sound of the bands, the hot ladies on the side lines, the noise, the traditions, the rivalries, and somewhere during all this there is a football game also going on ;)

This poll really made me reflect on over 30 years of following sports and, other than golf and boxing, I have enjoyed all the other choices at one time or another.

Baseball was my game as a young kid and I was an absolute fanatic at one point. Now my interest ebbs and flows, though I have watched more in the last week than I have in some time.

Football then became my big sport, but the modern NFL seems to me more a reality TV show than sport.

Basketball was great back in the 80s and early 90s, but this streetball style they play nowadays turns me off.

I never had a chance to watch much hockey growing up, but I became attracted to the game later on. Then came the lockout and I lot interest for a few seasons but took to it again after I switched to satellite and have subscribed to CI the past two years.

The one constant through all of this is my love of soccer. The game is constant, no commercials, no coaches calling timeout every thirty seconds. People bust on the low scoring, but let's try playng a football game with endzones only 24 feet wide, and counting each touchdown as 1 point. There might be a few 2-1 games there too.

After writing this, I find myself thankful I don't lose interest in my wife the way I do with these various sports.

college hockey is my favorite. Nothing makes a winter weekend then starting with a game on the Eastern time zone...then flip over to a WCHA game around 7:00 then end it with a game from Anchorage or Fairbanks that starts at 10:00 Central.

NASCAR and MLB is 2nd.
Are you enjoying Hot Pass on Direct as well as MLBNet?

I am surprised nobody picked Basketball yet. Even though this poll is nowhere near scientific, it does somewhat support my thinking of basketball.

Basketball is the 3rd most popular sport in the US, but is the number 1 most popular 2nd favorite sport of choice. Just about everyone I ask usually says they like one sport first and basketball second.

Read through the threads and a lot of people mentioned that they like basketball as their second favorite sport.

For me it is (to watch):

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Golf
4. Basketball

To play (more athletic than a sport):

1. Snow Skiing (not really a sport)
2. Mountain Biking (not really a sport)
3. Hiking (definitely not a sport)
4. Golf
5. Softball
5. Basketball

I keep getting screwed with my Yankees. Last Night I couldn't watch them in HD, Because MY Network 53 was showing the game, and its not HD.
Everything else was blacked out.
Some when it was on MLB Network. Blacked out.
Not too impressed right now with MLB EI or MY DMA rules.

Poll doesn't have my favorites.

- Curling, because it is something a person that looks like me could play
- Rugby, kind of like football but with more action and they don't stop the clock every few moments.
- Anything where they do jumps and flips with motorcycles or snowmobiles.

Poll doesn't have my favorites.

- Curling, because it is something a person that looks like me could play
- Rugby, kind of like football but with more action and they don't stop the clock every few moments.
- Anything where they do jumps and flips with motorcycles or snowmobiles.

I actually had curling on there first. LOL

That is listed higher than soccer for me. :D

Then again, I can watch the grass grow on a soccer field. The problem is, the soccer players are always getting in the way. :p

Well this works out perfectly for you then. You can watch grass grow on a baseball field, and the baseball players don't get in the way...they barely move! :p

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts