What KU English channels can I get in Toronto, Canada ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jenom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2006
I have a 33" dish with a linear LNB (10,750) located at 43.7 North, 79.3 West

Have no problem to get AMC4, however I am looking for English only (non religious) channels ! (like news,general programms, etc...)

Read many posts on forum, and wondering about if any of the following would work at my northern location :G10, IA6,SBS6,AMC3,IA7,Horizon1

I do not have a motor, and I would appreciate if someone would tell me:

--which single satellite should I aim for (to get the most English channels)?
--what is the strongest transponder on that sat to tune in ?

Thanks !

Coverage map/Atlantic sats

Thanks for both infos !

Coverage map show that I am around 49-50 for H, and 50-51 for V beam .
Would I get a signal with a 33" dish ?

Atlantic satellites: Which one is most likely the strongest/easiest to receive ?

Thanks !

Thanks, looks like my dish size will do for the 49-51dBw coverage.

Other concern is that for G10 I would need to position my dish to 234/23.7

Elevation angle 23.7 is pointing very slightly downward from a totally vertical position.

Is it possible that I would get signal by pointing dish downward ?

Thanks !

23 elevation isnt that bad. You have to remember the dish is offset so it may look like its facing the ground but the dish "sees" 22 degrees higher than what the dish is aimed.

jenom said:
Thanks, looks like my dish size will do for the 49-51dBw coverage.

Other concern is that for G10 I would need to position my dish to 234/23.7

Elevation angle 23.7 is pointing very slightly downward from a totally vertical position.

Is it possible that I would get signal by pointing dish downward ?

Thanks !
I had my 76 cm winegard on g10 for a long time, where i am at the elevation is 18 degrees. Strange to see the dish pointed at the roof and to still get signal.

The setting on my Fortec dish is around 18 degrees as well.

G10R comes in just fine even though it looks like it's pointed at the peak of my roof!

G10 in Toronto

Thanks for all the info !
While I was looking for 123W with my analog signal meter, I had to pass the strong signal of EchoStar7 at 119, than Echostar 9 at 121 (232/25) and after that towards the west I found.........? (nothing):rolleyes:
I guess, the 8 ft high metal post attached to the wood fencepost is just not high enough.
Next step will be to mount it to the house wall about 20 ft high, maybe I will get a signal there.:hungry:

123w (G-10R) is an easy find if you already found 121w... just nudge the dish west a little bit until you lose 121w. Do a blind scan, and you should find Equity's TPs.

You probably do not have a line of sight issue if you're seeing 121w.

A quick way to see if you have a line of site is, start with a square piece of paper. Fold it so the two opposite corners meet. This angle is 45 deg., fold the paper to cut that angle in half and you have 22.5deg. With a level, or even by eye, keep the one edge parallel to the ground, and the angle points up at 22.5deg. Now just point this in the direction of G10R and check to see if there is anything in the way.

G10

Discovered that a signal meter is not much help to locate weaker sats like G10, when they are located besides strong onces (119 and 121)

What I did is:
1)Started at 119 (easy)
2)Rotated more to the west and down to get storngest signal on 121 using meter (more difficult)
3)Continued 1/8" more to the west and 1/8" down and when I tuned manually to TP 12114 V 4444.........and there was G10.

Signal strenght is around 31....53, and sometimes there is no sound on Pentagon Channel.

Will put dish up on the housewall (~20 Ft) to see if its gets any better ! (the roof is out of question, toooooo high & steep)

Thanks for all the help !

Last edited:
I recently went looking for 123 via 121 and couldn't see either of them. Made me wonder if 121 was also weak.

So is 121 ALOT stronger than 123?

121 Kills me 99% when looking for 123 although I do get upper 80's & low 90's on some channels most where like 50% but the last couple of weeks have been more like 40% (some are unwatchable)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)