what model of reciever is standard definiton

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kali05

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Ca
i m moving in with a friend and he has direct tv in one room and i need to know what model i need too hook up another tv too a dvr would be nice or a standard reciever he has standard defintion programing thks any help is appreatied

If the model starts with

D = Standard
R = DVR
H = High Def
HR = High Def DVR

now only 2nd gen HD and HD HDDVRS still get hd first gen do not so you will see H2 and HR2 and then a corresponding number

One answer is all of them. If the model is H or HR it is ...High Def. There is also a required dish for HD that "sees" the sats that send the HD signal.
But don't worry about it. Order another receiver. The one they send will be SD....I think it is now D16s but Directv will send one that works for SD...@ five bucks a month.

You could also hook up to his receiver...watch the same stuff...all you need is a splitter & cable.

Joe

Last edited:
OK, sorry to bring this up yet AGAIN - but since the OP (AGAIN) didn't tell us where he's at, or at least which local ch they get now (LA, SF, etc.) - how DO we know that he's NOT in an MPEG4 market where D* does NOT even install SD receivers? (I do believe there is at least 1 MPEG4 LIL market in CA)
It's very possible that they might have an HD box right now, but NOT have HD enabled on the account, which then might make them think it is NOT an HD box - just sayin'... ;)

You KNOW what they say when you A-S-S-U-M-E something... ;) :)

OP - it WOULD really help us all, help you, if you simply told us what model of receiver your friend has now... ;)

Last edited:
I simply gave information on how model numbers work. with D Nothing more nothing less.

Only person ASSUMING around here is you.

Also most then likely he is not in a one of the few California mpeg 4 markets.

Stone, I didn't actually mean my reply specifically to you, but...

I simply gave information on how model numbers work. with D Nothing more nothing less.

OK, but that still doesn't totally help if the OP IS in an MPEG4 market...if he runs out & buys a D series box & then DOESN'T get any local channels because he IS in an MPEG4 market, ya think that's helping him? :confused:

Only person ASSUMING around here is you.

Uh, DON'T even think so, try again... :rolleyes:

Also most then likely he is not in a one of the few California mpeg 4 markets.

Yep, I rest my (assuming) case again; I would think that someone like you, that deals with these issues on a daily basis, would agree the importance of knowing this info - not to mention all the posts on this board alone with people that have issues regarding MPEG4 locals.
Of course, I guess I stop to think about it more, since 1/2 of IL's DMA's are MPEG4 markets now...

Just forget I said anything guys - I did try, geeze...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.