What Powered Hard Disk for S9/S10?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankee495

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Southwest Missouri
I have not seen much on this. Some drives cause my S9 to not power down by remote and the picture just freezes. I read about it or I would've thought it was broke. I am talking about external hard disk drives with a power adapter.

The Hitachi SimpleDrive Mini 320GB USB 2.0 2.5" External Hard Drive caused the problem. They do not come with a 5v adapter but I got me one...wouldn't work at all without it though it does on my laptop.

Then I got a Rosewill RX355-X2 3.5" USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure, put in a 750GB SATA drive and no more power down problems. This is a nice case with two fans...very nice!

So, what other drives or cases to be exact, cause the S9/S10 to not power off properly with the remote? Which ones work?

The Western Digital Passport drives will work on the S9 without any problems or need for external power. These are the only portable (2.5" device-powered) drives I've tested on the Openbox.

The Hitachi SimpleDrive Mini 320GB USB 2.0 2.5" is a device powered HDD that DID NOT work for me. It works great on the laptop and NOT on my desktop...You'd think it would be the other way around.

seagate 1 tb externally powered usb 2.0 works perfectly (sorry misread the original post u wanted usb powered i think)

With device-powered drives, it is very important to only use the supplied cable to connect the drive. The cable is usually very short, and longer cables tend not to work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts