what reciever to buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

icstephen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Canton, Oh
Ok I have read the reviews and now I am ready to buy but there are so many good reviews and me being new (first FTA) and installing it myself (can't find an installer in my area). Here's what I am planning on getting, a receiver (to be determined), 31" dish and a stab HH 90 Motor (although I am considering going with the 100cm dish and stab HH 100 - From Sadoun). I am thinking about getting a Fortec star lifetime classic NA. I am wondering is this the best receiver for someone new? Is there a better receiver that would work for a newbie? I'm thinking of ease of setup.

Also on a side note is it possible to mount this dish on a pole in the ground or is it better on a roof or side of a stricture?

I like this receiver because it seems like it would be easier to set up for a motorized installation, but I have nothing to gauge it by.

Thanks
Steve

Classic NA is a GREAT receiver for a new user, very friendly.

No need for a Universal LNBF, a standard will work fine, with a Universal you would be able to pick up Cubavision on the Pas 9 satellite, thats the only benefit!

I like the Fortec too. I just posted some of my thoughts in the review of it.

As PSB noted, a Universal is really only needed for Cubavision but noticing your location, you might be able to get Cubavision (and alot more Spanish programming) via Hispasat 1C/1D at 30 degrees west. That uses a standard LNB :)

thanks that sounds great...I am going to do a site survey this week (if the rain dries up) and see where would be the best spot to get the most birds (I have some trees but with proper placement I can shoot around them). here's another question...I don't understand how the DiSEqC works...I believe that it allows multiple dishes to one receiver...if this is the case I could run one dish in the back yard and one in the front (shooting around the trees), now that said can I still run a motor on one? or both? I am assuming I would have to get a separate receiver/mover to run 2 motorized dishes...or is that not possible?

Thanks
S

here is another question regarding true south (I know this was covered in another thread) and I have done some calculation and I just wanted to see if I was correct. I am in Ball Ground, Georgia and I am putting my calculations below...please look at them and see if I will be aiming in the right direction when I set up my H-H motor.

Ball Ground, Ga = 34.339262 N, 84.375756 W
Declination = 4° 13' W changing by 0° 4' W/year
Satellite Longitude (0° to +360°) 85.0
Dish Heading
181.117398 Azimuth (Geographic) (+4 deg mag adjust)
50.806043 Elevation (Degrees)

So for my true south satellite I should (using my compass) aim the motor & dish to
185 deg AZ (181 + 4 deg mag adjust)
50 deg elevation

Does that look right? I hate to bother everyone but I would hate to get it all set up and realize that I did not set up the original calculations correctly. I just want to measure twice and cut once. :)

thanks
S

Steve, you can use AMC 9. There are several Data transponders (without video), but they are very strong. And would be closer to your true south. Such as:
12060 V 30000
12140 V 30000
12160 H 30000
12180 V 30000
I'm down in Macon, and I used this sat when I installed my Fortec 90cm dish. I would recommend the 100cm dish you're thinking about, or even better, a 1 meter dish. You will be glad later.

Al

Steve you're right on the money about the way a diseqc switch works. There is a switch with 2 ports and most readily available is the 4 port switch. With the 2 port you could have 2 dishes and with the 4 port you could have as many as 4 dishes. You are also correct, to run 2 motors you will need 2 receivers. I think I read where someone was able to run 2 dish motors with 1 receiver, but thats beyond me. Maybe you could buy Ice's Pansat 6000 he is trying to sell. It's a good receiver and it has a built in recorder and it has 2 inputs for different sats. It's 2 receivers made into 1. Also your calculations look close enough for me. In the post above, the reason I suggested AMC 9 (83w) and not AMC 2 (85w) is because AMC 2 has only wild feeds and you would have to know what was on and when.

Al

Thanks Al,
My main problem with true south is that I have some trees and don't think I can actually see the true south satellite (at this time). This may sound goofy but I have a fair amount of trees that I am slowly removing and I don't want to have to add a motor to the dish later (after the trees are removed) plus I am only taking some trees each year...all that being said, I downloaded the manual for the motor and using the usals set up on the motor you start by setting the dish & motor at true south and it supposedly can find the rest...this would be great for me because there will be some sat's that are going to be iffy depending on trees. Now I don't know if the usals system is the best system to use? it sounded like it was very easy to set up....all this is assuming that the receiver doesn't have to get a signal from the true south satellite to set up the rest. If it does I may just go with a multiple dish set up for now until I can get the trees removed...this may make it sound like it is more trouble than it is worth but I think it adds to the fun and challenge of setting the thing up and searching around to see what I can see.

Stephen

USALS works great. For most of the satellites, its the perfect setting. For the odd satellite I found initially with USALS, I switch to Disecq 1.2 and fine tune it, or at least see if I can make it even better.

I like my receiver. Only thing I'd want better is a faster blind scan, as on some cases it takes around half an hour to "Power Scan" a satellite to look for hidden gems.

I'd set up each satellite you want with USALS, enter your latitude and longitude into the receiver, let the receiver move the motor (via USALS) to a satellite that is clear of obstructions, and then fine tune your azimuth by slowly moving the whole dish/motor assembly on the pole right and left. You can also fine tune your DISH elevation, but leave your motor elevation set at your latitude.

Well I ordered the receiver and dish yesterday from Sadoun and I opted for the fixed dish...I figure thats easier to set up and I can get comfortable with the receiver and then I think I will be going with a multiple dish set up opposed to the motorized at this time. The reason that I am doing this is after my site survey and looking at several Sat's that I really want I would never be able to see them with one motorized dish (due to my tree situation). I still want a motorized dish (preferably a bud c/ku) and I think this first set up will feed the beast until I can get all of the trees down (2 or 3 years) and then I can go with a larger dish (or 3 larger dishes) in a perfect location. I will let everyone know how it goes when I get it installed....plus when I do get around to the multiple dishes and the Diseqc I am sure that I will have more questions.

Just as an FYI I ordered the Fortec Star Lifetime classic NA receiver and the 36" dish.

welcome to the family...the FTA family :)

You'll love the classic. I've had one for about a week now and LOVE it

Do these receivers have some sort of guide? Or are there other receivers with guides?

Well I ordered the receiver and dish yesterday from Sadoun and I opted for the fixed dish...I figure thats easier to set up and I can get comfortable with the receiver and then I think I will be going with a multiple dish set up opposed to the motorized at this time.

Not a bad idea , can always put a motor on it .

The reason that I am doing this is after my site survey and looking at several Sat's that I really want I would never be able to see them with one motorized dish (due to my tree situation).

Remember , you can have a lot of trees in the way , but it depends on how far they are from the dish . With sufficent seperation , due to the elevation of the dish , you may be able to " shoot over " them .

Being in the south , your elevation is " steeper " than our Canadian friends , making this less of a problem . However , as you swing east or west , elevation starts to decrease , making the trees a greater potential problem .

But once you become familiar with the dish setuo , you can experiment , one sat at a time , east , then west , of your due south sat . This will give tou a definitive answer .

You can also just dig a hole & mount a pipe in the ground & ancher it to the eve of the house . The pipe being tall enough to " shoot over" the top of the house . This get the dish taller than a ground mount & gives you that much better chance of also " shooting over " the trees .

I still want a motorized dish (preferably a bud c/ku) and I think this first set up will feed the beast until I can get all of the trees down (2 or 3 years) and then I can go with a larger dish (or 3 larger dishes) in a perfect location. I will let everyone know how it goes when I get it installed....plus when I do get around to the multiple dishes and the Diseqc I am sure that I will have more questions.

The switch can connect up to 4 dishes / LNBF's to one receiver . Potentially any / all / none can be moterized . Just a matter of setting up the menus in the receiver correctly .

Just as an FYI I ordered the Fortec Star Lifetime classic NA receiver and the 36" dish.

I have a Fortec Ultra , 36" dish & motor . The USALS function is sweet ! :) Set up for the due south sat & the receiver findes the rest . ( May have to tweek the sat after USALS finds it , but that is not a big deal . )

If you think you want C band , start looking for nor-used dishes , especially at homes that have DTV or DN small dishes . I have scrounged 3 C band dishes for free .

That way you have the hardware when you decide to go C band .

best of luck ,
Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)