What Sat am I pointed at?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
Due to a recent lightning strike taking out some electronics (confirmed kills: 1-Openbox S9, 1 LNBF, 1-DG-380 H-H motor, DSL modem, wireless router, PC network card...) I was trying to rig up something to run some Ku into one of our bedrooms.

Have a Dtv Slimline on an old SG-2100 with what I believe to be a linear LNBF...anyways I hooked up a trusty old CS 6K and called for the dish to move to 72W and did a blind scan. The dish did move and is aimed in the general direction of 72W. I had this setup aligned to the arc at one time and don't think it has been moved any.

I think I am getting a couple of scrambled cable muxes (Spanish guide info) at 11800 & 11840 28888. I don't think those are on 72W, was wondering if anyone knew where I was aimed at?

Are those signals H or V on 67W?

Sorry but I didn't notice, got the freq & SR but forgot to get polarity, had to shut things down quickly when (another) thunderstorm rolled in.

I will try to note the polarity tonight if I get a chance to play again, and will post here if I get it, or maybe AC will beat me to it.

must be vertical. I loaded them as H (as I thought thats what the original post said) and got nothing

Finally got a chance to get back on this project.

After getting the Slimline/SG2100 combo to track the arc (verifying the motor worked) I took that combo down and pulled the dish off of that motor.

I then pulled my 90cm 3ABN dish off of the lightning-zapped DG-380, and pulled the 380 off of my pole. Installed the SG2100 on the pole and put the 3ABN dish on that motor, it fits perfectly, no mods required. In about 5 minutes I had this new combo tracking the arc from 72W-125W. Then I had the great idea (since I had cut some trees this winter) to try and get 30W from this pole location. I had never tried getting 30W from this pole, in fact I had never tried getting it with a motorized dish before, just temporary fixed dishes spotted around my yard.

Set my CS 6K to look for 11882 V 27500 (Cubavision) and proceeded to motor east from 72W via diseqc 1.2 (I use USALS for everything that is within range, but 30W is too far since I am at 93W).

Had no problem locating 30W but the motor would not go back west no matter what I tried after that. So...took it all down, popped the top off the motor and found some little chunks of rust stuck on the magnet wheel, cleaned them off, put some light oil on all moving parts, slapped it together and it worked.

Reinstalled everything on the pole, realigned and was tracking and peaked from 30W-125W in about 10 minutes. I then transferred it to the cable that runs in the house, configured the Openbox S9 for the 30W position and it is now good to go. :)

Looking forward to catching a movie or two from Cuba this weekend.

Pics are of the Slimline/S2100 setup and the SG2100 with it's new antenna load, the 90cm 3ABN. The Slimline was pointed at 67W and the 3ABN is pointed at 30W.

Attachments

• Sat 90cm on SG2100 at 30W Hispasat.jpg
    Sat 90cm on SG2100 at 30W Hispasat.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Sat Dtv Slimline on 67W.jpg
    Sat Dtv Slimline on 67W.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Sat Dtv Slimline on 67Wb.jpg
    Sat Dtv Slimline on 67Wb.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 152
Nice going-funny what you can achieve when you have to. I feel for you, losing all that to lightning, if my DG380 was to ever get it, I think I would cry, lol.

Had never popped one of those little H-H motors open before, was cool to see what the guts consisted of.

I am going to open up my 380 today and see if I can figure out what got fried. If it is truly dead I am going to hold a small service in it's honor, it's been a goodun.

Gonna miss that S9 also, had 2 of them but to date they are the best receivers I have ever owned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)