What satellite, signal level, polarity, and town? = a charted progression of the forum set for each

Status
Please reply by conversation.

richyrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
dead
I am wondering what the signal levels and quality are for your certain kind of dish and its size; along with the town you live in (or GPS coords) are compared to the polarities and frequencies received.
If you list yours, a chart can be acquired that shows (of the received sort) a beams pattern across the US for a given frequency. Let's keep the size of the dish the same and the given frequencies and polarities for each instance the same also)...

This instance...Locations and types of dishes of course change, how about received signals?

For instance: Using :: a dish=New 90 cm. Glorystar KU; a receiver= GeoSatPro 200C;
location=Bend, OR.; aimed at: Galaxy 19KU;
polarity=Horizontal; tp=11842; signal 85; quality 62;
polarity=Vertical; tp=12115; signal 83; quality 65;

How about yours?:D

7.5ft SAMI mesh, AZBox Elite, DMX-741s located within 14 miles of the geographical center of Virginia
11842 = 99S & 32Q
12115 = 90S & 48Q

I am wondering what the signal levels and quality are for your certain kind of dish and its size; along with the town you live in (or GPS coords) are compared to the polarities and frequencies received.
If you list yours, a chart can be acquired that shows (of the received sort) a beams pattern across the US for a given frequency. Let's keep the size of the dish the same and the given frequencies and polarities for each instance the same also)...

Richyrich,

There are a few problems with your query here. You did not ask to include the receiver model, switches, LNBF or cable type and run distance. These are going to skew the results, espressly the receiver as not all receivers read the same quality level with all other conditions and equipment being identical. The quality reading will vary greatly depending upon the receiver.

The only way to perform this query accurately is if everyone had a calibrated signal meter, such as a SuperBuddy meter. You could ignore most of the other equipment as they would probably introduce very minor discrepancies in the readings, but you cannot ignore the receiver make and model (unless everyone is to use the same). If everyone used the identical receiver, then it still would not be accurate, but at least it would be consistent across the board.

I understand that you want the dish size to be a constant. My dish is not in that category, but I included my results to show the difference in the quality readings.

NW of Omaha, NE
AZBox Premium Plus
1.2 M GeoSatPro
Invacom QPH-031 LNBF
DG-380 motor
~300 ft RG11
Galaxy 19 @ 97.0°W

AZBox Premium Plus readings:
11842 H signal 66% quality 92%
12115 V signal 65% quality 76%

SuperBuddy readings:
11842 H signal -3.0 dBmV quality 97% IRD
12115 V signal -3.0 dBmV quality 91% IRD

I think that you would want to specify that at least the dish and the receiver be identical in order to obtain the results you are looking for.

RADAR

Last edited:
The quality reading will vary greatly depending upon the receiver.
Agreed 100%, plus weather conditions.

Another problem with that query is it doesn't seem to have a definite purpose to begin with. :) Maybe richy would like to enlighten us, what he has in mind? Are you aiming to move to an area where G19 reception is maxed out? It might make sense, given "inspiring revolution" nature of some channels on that sat. :)

On the ball

Agreed 100%, plus weather conditions.

Another problem with that query is it doesn't seem to have a definite purpose to begin with. :) Maybe richy would like to enlighten us, what he has in mind? Are you aiming to move to an area where G19 reception is maxed out? It might make sense, given "inspiring revolution" nature of some channels on that sat. :)

I am trying to say: If everything is the same, dish size; lnbf kind; receiver model; (cabling can be normally calculated for loss, quality usually is the same so i did not include it):)...

My inclusion, a today's Glorystar System; with a Geosat 200C was my way to say this. And yes, you are both absolutely right, all that you said makes un-chartable differences, and cannot be used with my instance. I am not good at making people understand what I meant, that is my lessons.

I guess it would be hard just to say, if the people who have a Glorystar 36" System, bought in the last couple of years, could you include the numbers you have on them, and a chart can be made.

Not to mention installer errors. We all know that a certain lower number on quality, whatever it is, will cause a channel or 2 to blip, or many channels not to be received at all. Thank you.

And as to moving, forget it, I love where I am at; and the mid-west is not my cup of froth; let alone having to make me liking the people almost from another country, who talk differently than I can understand, which is very little other than the Spanish/Latino/Latin community. It is where I am at, here I am, and there you go...

Last edited:
Richyrich,

I am uncertain of the precise motive for your query, so that is why I mentioned the issue of different receivers. I wasn't sure from your initial post that you were fully aware of it. However, I have pondered making similar polls myself, so I wasn't trying to shoot your project down, but only trying to help you refine it better.

If you were looking to map out the footprint over the country, you would be best served by investigating SatBeams - Home as that would provide a great deal of very good information.
You may use the information from their site as a very good reference and baseline.

If you are looking to compare results obtained through the use of identical equipment in order to judge your alignment and equipment function, then your polling query is right in line (with a few details to be punctuated).

I guess it really all depends upon what you are searching for... Is it the comparison of the operation of the dish, the receiver, the LNBF or the beam strength vs geographic location. Or if you were trying to judge your whole system and the alignment of your personal setup.

I hope you understand that I was asking you to clarify what you were seeking so that we provide the best responses to you.

RADAR

The only way a scenario such as this could be useful is if the same dish, same LNB and feed, same feedline, and same spectrum analyzer or measurement device (not receiver) is used for each measurement location, as STV did back in the 80's. LNB's can have different gains, even if they came off the same assembly line and lot, dishes can be a bit warped, and not everyone has the same competency level when it comes to aligning and peaking a dish. There are way too many variables to gain any meaningful information.

yeah, my qph-031 puts my cheapo to shame. If you are just talking DXing in central Minnesota with my .85M offset, coolsat 6100 going through a 4x1 switch and a sg2100 motor I get the strongest TPs on 30w. I get 89sig and 70-80q. The weak ones hover around 40 - 60q. I was able to get 148w before it went boom 90sig x 90q

I think my Azbox reads higher. I don't use it that much.

Richyrich,

I am uncertain of the precise motive for your query, so that is why I mentioned the issue of different receivers. I wasn't sure from your initial post that you were fully aware of it. However, I have pondered making similar polls myself, so I wasn't trying to shoot your project down, but only trying to help you refine it better.

If you were looking to map out the footprint over the country, you would be best served by investigating SatBeams - Home as that would provide a great deal of very good information.
You may use the information from their site as a very good reference and baseline.

If you are looking to compare results obtained through the use of identical equipment in order to judge your alignment and equipment function, then your polling query is right in line (with a few details to be punctuated).

I guess it really all depends upon what you are searching for... Is it the comparison of the operation of the dish, the receiver, the LNBF or the beam strength vs geographic location. Or if you were trying to judge your whole system and the alignment of your personal setup.

I hope you understand that I was asking you to clarify what you were seeking so that we provide the best responses to you.

RADAR

It is my intent that I hope you can understand. Such as variables are, one could throw out the max high/low variations; and quantify a form of real satellite signal levels, if the same parts of a "system" were used , such is what you said the survey did in the 80's; same "system" throughout the US was used. From my studies, it seems, that not everything being said or published today; is even close to "true" in the real world. This is Science, experimentation, results, then the finding of variations compared to other published results, or something new.

In a "forum" sense; you are participating in an experiment; that is, through online interaction, you solve problems, but without being in the persons home; this is the not easy part. There is, however, the data gained from the interaction as if you are there, which provides the ability for you to solve.

And this is where I am looking, because it is easy for me to find faults in the many interactions on forums dealing with satellite tv and "systems" because of the many years I have interacting with people in their homes solving problems. Experience is not my child's play, it is how my data is gathered; because what I find there in their homes is real.

It is my intent that I hope you can understand. Such as variables are, one could throw out the max high/low variations; and quantify a form of real satellite signal levels, if the same parts of a "system" were used , such is what you said the survey did in the 80's; same "system" throughout the US was used. From my studies, it seems, that not everything being said or published today; is even close to "true" in the real world. This is Science, experimentation, results, then the finding of variations compared to other published results, or something new.

Rich, you are definitely correct in this regard. But, then again, it is difficult to be so refined and accurate without making it a major research project. I doubt that you want to go into quite that much detail, but something relatively accurate or at least meaningful (useful in real world applications) for the general population would be welcome.

In a "forum" sense; you are participating in an experiment; that is, through online interaction, you solve problems, but without being in the persons home; this is the not easy part. There is, however, the data gained from the interaction as if you are there, which provides the ability for you to solve.

You are right again and I agree. This is another reason why I offered my personal results (even though my equipment is out of the realm of a "control group" that you requested).

And this is where I am looking, because it is easy for me to find faults in the many interactions on forums dealing with satellite tv and "systems" because of the many years I have interacting with people in their homes solving problems. Experience is not my child's play, it is how my data is gathered; because what I find there in their homes is real.

This is my personal idea for conducting this project of yours, if you don't mind me putting my two cents in here. You need to recruit a "TEAM" of testers from all areas of the hemisphere (USA / Canada / Mexico / Carribean / Alaska / Hawaii) who have identical or at least very similar equipment and poll them for their results from the various satellites - specifying which sat and which TP you want to test as a control.

Then you can eventually add, if desired, the results for other system setups to compare even further. That's a lot of work, but if it is something that you want to tackle, I would respond to your polls to assist you.

I think it would be a phenomenal undertaking, but the results would prove very interesting, indeed! Expressly as you indicated, there is/are no "real world application data" out there for us to scrutinize. All we really have are guestimations and EIRP Maps to provide generic and vague guidelines.

I'll do my part from my location if you request it, you can count on me. Hopefully I will have a new 8 foot BUD installed sometime during this summer to provide even more data. You just have to instigate the polls (we will respond) and then you have to chart the data. Sounds like a great deal of effort to me. But if you are game for it, I am willing to help out by providing any information that I can. I wish you good luck and lots of free time! :)

RADAR

Last edited:
Carribean- Puerto Rico

Using a D!rect Tv Pre-Paid real small dish and a lineal lnb with Openbox

11842 86% 71%
12115 90% 61%

There was quite a thread by Glorystar1 on G-19 and all the transponders sometime back that would possibly give a baseline to work off of. With my low speed internet, searches take me more time than I have, along with the fact of little wind today so I am working outside - on TEA break - but back to work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts