What should be done with Ion?

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
What should Ion do with the main Ion channel? Apart from a few Canadian shows like Saving Hope and Private Eyes to be broadcast next year all it shows is repeats of US crime series all day. They tried original programming before but it didn't really work out. Why don't they try some original factual type programming to differ themselves from the other main networks or acquire more Canadian content? Will they be airing these same few shows in 5+ years. Why did the Cloo channel shut down when Ion airs a lot of the same crime shows?
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2018)
Blue Bloods (2014)
Burn Notice (2013)
Criminal Minds (2009)
Law & Order (2015)
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2012)
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2015)
NCIS: Los Angeles (2017)
Saving Hope (2014)
Psych (2011)
CSI seems to have replaced Numbers.

What should Ion do with the main Ion channel? Apart from a few Canadian shows like Saving Hope and Private Eyes to be broadcast next year all it shows is repeats of US crime series all day. They tried original programming before but it didn't really work out. Why don't they try some original factual type programming to differ themselves from the other main networks or acquire more Canadian content? Will they be airing these same few shows in 5+ years. Why did the Cloo channel shut down when Ion airs a lot of the same crime shows?
Blue Bloods (2014)
Burn Notice (2013)
Criminal Minds (2009)
Law & Order (2015)
Saving Hope (2014)
Psych (2011)

I’d be fine if our local Ion affiliate dropped Ion and went back to being an independent. Better local programming and a variety of other shows and movies you couldn’t find all the time

I doubt anyone is twisting your arm to watch ION. If you choose not to watch it there will be no eyes to watch the commercials and even for ION the ratings are important.

An article relating to Ion. They talk about acquiring 'A' quality syndicated shows and having morecently original content. They also state about building additional networks. What type of new networks could they create? Would these be on cable/OTA? It would be good if they created high quality factual type shows a difference from the drama/reality/comedy on CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox/The CW.
Ion Reports Results, Future Plans | TVNewsCheck.com

It would be good if they created high quality factual type shows a difference from the drama/reality/comedy on CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox/The CW.
It would be great if I won the Powerball jackpot.

You're making two very questionable assumptions:

1. That Ion is in a financial position to make bold moves

2. That "factual type shows" would have enough appeal to balance the cost of producing them

Ion has to tell their shareholders that they're trying to find something that works but that's going to take time and it is going to cost bigger money than they're used to paying. All the while, Ion continues to build new broadcast stations filled with channels such that partnering is difficult and those cost big money too.

It would be great if I won the Powerball jackpot.

You're making two very questionable assumptions:

1. That Ion is in a financial position to make bold moves

2. That "factual type shows" would have enough appeal to balance the cost of producing them

Ion has to tell their shareholders that they're trying to find something that works but that's going to take time and it is going to cost bigger money than they're used to paying. All the while, Ion continues to build new broadcast stations filled with channels such that partnering is difficult and those cost big money too.
I haven't been on here in months but I see you haven't changed. You crack me up. I like how you just hide under the rock and wait for someone to post something so you can jump out and just obliterate their intelligence because you know so much more than everyone about the OTA world and a lot do not.

I like how you just hide under the rock and wait for someone to post something so you can jump out and just obliterate their intelligence because you know so much more than everyone about the OTA world and a lot do not.
If you say something questionable, unreasonable or wrong, you should expect to be presented with some alternative viewpoints and maybe even some reality sprinkled in.

I haven't been on here in months but I see you haven't changed. You crack me up. I like how you just hide under the rock and wait for someone to post something so you can jump out and just obliterate their intelligence because you know so much more than everyone about the OTA world and a lot do not.

Wasn't his user name your first clue that he doesn't 'hint around' at things? LOL

Haven't seen Ion in years except on a B.U.D. Except for the weekends their programming is not all that. I rate it up there with Oprah's channel and lots of others with almost nothing worth watching

Blue Bloods (2014)
Burn Notice (2013)
Criminal Minds (2009)
Law & Order (2015)
Saving Hope (2014)
Psych (2011)

I'm not chiding your ideas, going down the road of some more Canadian programming or do what BBCA used to and add some British programming is a good idea. The problem however is the link you provided. What in that link leads you to believe they need to make big changes? That seemed particularly in today's climate a rosy report.

"Revenue — “Third quarter 2017 marked the company’s 32nd consecutive quarter of year-over-year revenue growth.”

"Ratings — “Ion Television now ranks sixth in 2017-18 season-to-date audience delivery among U.S. cable networks, and plans to add more high-quality content to its schedule in 1Q 2018.”

"Reach — "Rising U.S. over-the-air broadcast TV homes (up 41% in the last five years) drive Ion’s organic household growth. The network’s popular content and consumer-friendly pricing garners support from multichannel and broadcast affiliates.

Reactions: osu1991
If you say something questionable, unreasonable or wrong, you should expect to be presented with some alternative viewpoints and maybe even some reality sprinkled in.
I
You know I know the answer to this before you even thought of posting it. Your right. I eventually had to post that because it is funny when you come up with them quotes on people. I am like DANG, it is what it is though. One thing for sure you know your business on this OTA thing....Way better than a lot of people... Your replies are quite interesting to say the least

Ion has the bulk programming their viewers seems to like. I only watch it now when they have their Christmas movies on. I do watch a few shows in crappy SD letterbox on IonLife. I wouldn't mind seeing them get some more Canadian, Australian or UK programming that Netflix, Amazon or Acorn hasn't taken. Might save me acquiring it via other means

Reactions: Tampa8
I would have thought it would be documentaries.

Reality in the TV programming sense doesn't seem to be particularly chummy with fact.
correct me if I am wrong on this (factual type shows), these ota networks (like ION, LAFF, GET), aren't they're primary goal is to get shows that we favored from past decades. If someone wants factual type shows, isn't what Decades is for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)